Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#22054 01-31-2007 03:12 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Grace,

You will here this phrase over and over so get used to it...We all can react differently to the Tx and meds. I will assume that your H is receiving IMRT rad. That's most common these days. I also felt a slight, and I mean slight, weird feeling after my first couple of rads. My taste started to make things taste bitter at first and by 2 weeks all I could taste was a slight sweet taste which I still can taste sweets, other than choc, better or should I say longer than other tastes.

I have copied many new to rad posters something that I wrote about a month ago concerning my experiences with rad. I have copied it for you below. I hope it helps better prepare both of you for the next 8 weeks or so.

To, BB and Betty,

Hope this may help you in your journey through the dark tunnel. You will emerge.

Before I start they say that everyone can react differently to the same Tx but my experience in reading 1000's of posts from fellow patients is that we all have bad side effects but some have it worse than others. Judging by my readings I fared better than most and I think my somewhat nasty disposition helped me when I needed it most. That said......

It was probably the worst concentrated time in my life, both physically and mentally. I think the mental part is at least 50% of the battle. If you think about it, your neck region is the worst place you could be radiated. They tell you that you must (AND YOU MUST) drink at least 48 ozs water and 2000 cals each and every day. Then they burn your throat so you can't swallow or even eventually talk. So then they give you pain meds but the pain meds make you nauseated so they give you nausea meds and even they sometimes make you nauseated. All the while the chemo makes you nauseated. I also opted for no tube and I'm glad I did but it made it sometimes impossible to meet the daily goals. They basically set you up so that you can't win this battle but you will find your own way that works for you. The nausea was my worst enemy and they couldn't find anything that worked for me. I could open up a small drug store with the meds I filled and took one or two pills. At the end I finally had had enough and stopped taking all meds. I swallowed with the pain but at least I stopped the nausea. My nausea got so bad that it was easier to throw up than to breath so even after I stopped all my meds I went weeks fighting a gag reflex every time I swallowed something. Sometimes I literally held my mouth shut after swallowing just so I wouldn't throw up. It was nasty but that's what saved me and got me over the hump, so to speak.

Here's what basically will transpire:

The chemo may make you sick. The first bag I rec'd had no effect on me but the last 2 hit me hard. That may have had something to do with the weeks of rad I had rec'd by the time I got the last 2 bags, I don't know.

The rad will not effect you until around the 3rd week. Your taste will rapidly go away. At first things tasted bitter, then nothing, then I could taste some sweetness but not all. To this day choc tastes bitter.

Your throat will get sore and you will soon be on soft foods and liquids. REMEMBER your goal is to drink water (48ozs for me) and "food" (2000cals for me) each and every day. They will tell you and your caring friends and relatives will tell you all sorts of things to try. I found Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC which has 560 nutritionally balanced cals in a 8 oz can. That meant I only had to swallow 4 cans of the VHC to meet my daily goal. A life saver when your throat burns like hell. Unfortunately I didn't discover the VHC until 2 weeks AFTER my Tx ended but I'm glad I did and I still use it.

You will be given all sorts of meds to combat the pain and nausea. Don't give up if at first they don't work. Good luck on finding the correct combo.

I did not keep up with my daily water and "food" because of the nausea and then I would get dehydrated and then constipated. Guess what the side effects of those are...Nausea. I ended up in the ER 3 times to get IV fluids. Don't think your body will go for days with little or no food and water while being attacked with rad and chemo without shutting down. Your body will shut down if you don't feed and hydrate it so do your very best to keep up. I found that a lot of people visited the ER during Tx.

I lost hearing in the high frequency range due to the cisplatium and I have been told it's probably permanent.

I lost some hair on the back of my head and I won't have to shave below my chin ever again. I don't have fair skin so the outside of my face and neck faired a lot better than most re sunburn.

Your saliva will began to shut down and thick mucus will increase. I went for a few weeks trying to spit out the thick stuff with no thin stuff to help. I would wake up choking on the thick stuff and when I went to spit it out I would start to gag and then get nauseated. The thick stuff will become less of a problem as the dry mouth becomes more of a problem.

You will start to get really weak and may sleep or just feel like lying around. I stopped working all together for about 6 weeks and just laid in bed all day. Really boring time but I just didn't have any energy and I had the pain, nausea, dehydration and constipation, etc. Your strength is zapped as well. Taking a shower was equal to running a marathon. I stopped driving and really became very anti social. I just didn't want to be around anyone except my wife who as my caregiver and business partner I credit for saving my life. There is no way I could have gone through Tx without her. She gave me the caring love and the tough love when I needed it.

I lost 30% of my body weight and I couldn't afford to loose anything. I was very physically fit going into Tx. Nonsmoker, casual drinker and exercise nut. I road my bike 100 miles a week avg 20 mph with bike clubs but the TX still clubbed me over the head.

I felt like I was in a dark tunnel and I didn't come out of that tunnel until the 3rd week AFTER Tx ended. That's when I started to drink 3000 cals a day and started to feel almost human. My strength took several months to come back. My taste is almost tolerable but the dry mouth is still horrendous.

I am just 4 months out and am able to work from 9 to appx 7:30. Not as much as I used to but better than most at my stage. I am mentally pretty much back to normal and my nasty disposition has come back but I'm not as nasty anymore. When you hit the bottom which I did more than a few times I made many promises and I am trying to keep them. This is a humbling experience.

Again, you may have more or less problems with everything I mentioned but overall those are the main side hurdles you will face.

Questions ?

David

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#22055 01-31-2007 02:48 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Maybe he can learn from my experience -- I found my PEG worked best when I was sitting, rather than standing, so I would sit in a rocker in front of the TV while slowly pouring the junk down the tube. What annoyed me the most about the process was the time it took to get it done.

Right near the end, I noticed that I could push the tube in and out of the ring in my chest (confirmed that after the Doc removed it -- there is a bulge on the end to keep it from pulling all the way out of the ring without exerting some effort).

I surmise that when standing, the end of the tube was being partially obstructed and it was open while sitting; based on what I discovered too late to use, likely I could have been maneuvering the tube to get a good flow...

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
#22056 01-31-2007 06:34 PM
JAM Offline

Grace, just a reminder- the "junk" Pete was pouring down his tube was hopefully a highly developed nutritional product made specifically for people who need the best vitamins, minerals and calories, but can't get them by swallowing. Jeff will have to endure alot of challanges over the ensuing months, and so will you. Both of you will be tested. Stay strong and continue to ask when you need answers. Amy in the Ozarks.

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#22057 02-02-2007 04:20 PM

Amy's correct, the junk in my case came in cans from WalMart and was some kind of store brand; Safeway has a similar product in plastic bottles (slightly more expensive, but easier to seal and discard) and then there are the brand names like Boost and Ensure -- Essentially the same stuf and can be found in calories as high as 350 per container (the more calories, the fewer containers of junk that needs to go down the tube!.

My dietician informed me that three containers have enough vitamins, etc., to satisfy normal adult requirements for the day. To maintain my weight (172-4 lbs) I was consuming seven containers, or 2,450 calories per day.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics