Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
keith Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello everyone. My name is Keith. I am 37 years old and just found out yesterday that my tongue cancer is back after 5 years. In 2001 i had a small portion of my tongue removed as well as my lymph nodes on the left side of my neck. I had good margins and no radiation or chemo was necessary. Now after 5 years I will be going in to have more of my tongue removed.
Five years ago i was told that it was caught extremely early and that the risk of it returning was minimal. It was very scary but I didn't give it much thought because the whole process seemed fairly noneventful and I believe I was given an unclear picture of the seriousness of the disease.
With this reoccurance I did some research on the net and found this site. I am very scared this time around. I guess I've grown up some, you could say. I take life a whole lot more seriously than I did 5 years ago. i don't really know why I'm writing all of this. I guess maybe I need to vent.
i have a very loving wife whom I adore. I am finding it difficult to talk to her about it because I know she is scared, too and I want to be strong for her. I realize it is just as difficult for loved ones to deal with.

Tongue cancer diagnosed 12/01. Tumor removed. No chemo, no radiation. Early stage 3 SCC of the tongue recurrance 12/06, well differentiated. Hemiglossectomy, free flap, neck dissection 3/26/07. IMRT Tx finished 8-7-07(30 Tx's). No chemo.
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Keplan
Glad you found this site. Im sorry to hear of your cancer returning. Thats a fear we all have,to be scared is all part of it.
How did they find it this time? Are you seeing the same doctor? One positive thing is they come along ways in 5 years.
Vent all you want this is a good place to unload.

Tongue Cancer, stage 4, spread to neck/ Radical neck, 3 chemos, 33 radiation. 5-18-2005
keith Offline OP
OP Offline

I found it myself. I have a lesion in the same spot as last time. I did find a new doctor who seems a bit more agressive, and much more personable. i guess the last one and I just didn't click. He never really explained much to me and always seemed to not want to give me his time. I think this doctor will be much better.

Tongue cancer diagnosed 12/01. Tumor removed. No chemo, no radiation. Early stage 3 SCC of the tongue recurrance 12/06, well differentiated. Hemiglossectomy, free flap, neck dissection 3/26/07. IMRT Tx finished 8-7-07(30 Tx's). No chemo.
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Keplan
I'm really sorry to meet you...here. I'd love to have made your acquantance under other circumstances, but as they say, when God hands you lemons, make lemonade.

As Dogman said, vent all you need to; we all understand. Been there, got the t-shirt as they say.
A recurrence is a shocker, and something we all dread. One the positive side, they really have come a very long way in 5 years. When I was diagnosed earlier this year, my ENT was very frank; he told me that had I presented the same cancer a decade ago, he would have sent me home to put my affairs in order.

Now, I'm cancer free, all through advancements made since your first encounter with this beast.

It won't be fun, but you already know that. If there is any questions you have, or anything you want to yell about, this is the place to do it.

Don't forget it's the Holidays though. Make time for your family and friends; they will all become so much more important to you in the coming months than you ever dreamed possible.

take care, and let us know when the treatment is scheduled to take place..and don't forget...
Happy Holidays
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Keplan, you have every right to be afraid, but remember, you have not had radiation and chemo, both of which work together to do serious harm to cancer cells. Those treatments are not a walk in the park by any means, but they will tip the odds a long way in your favor. Ask your new doc about that. In fact, sign up for anything available. An aggressive doc is good, an informed, agressive patient is even better! And know that there is an entire community here to answer any questions, hold your hand if necessary, and definitely be pulling for you.

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Kaplan,

Sorry to hear of your recurrence, but as folks have said, you have come to the right place and things in cancer treatment have changed.

My husband just completed reiradiation of his neck and more chemo after a recurrence of tonsil cancer from nearly five years ago. Although he was treated at a community hospital the first time, this time he was seen at a comprehensive cancer center and there is a world of difference in the level of expertise and approach. Have you looked into being treated at a ccc?

Loretta

C/G to husband SCC of right tonsil, Dx 5/02. Tx concurrent rad with Taxol and Cisplatin. Consolidation therapy Cisplatin and 5-FU. Recurrence 9/06, neck dissection 10/06. Tx with twice daily radiation; two in-patient infusions of Cisplatin.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Keith,

I'm sorry you're faced with this a second time, but I'm glad you found this site. I have to re-emphasize what Loretta said about the importance of getting to a comprehensive cancer center (if you're not already), as a recurrence needs every bit of ammunition you can throw at it, and you'll typically find the best head and neck cancer medical teams at a CCC. There is a list of them on this site under Other Resources.

Please feel free to check back here often with your questions and concerns. There are plenty of people here who will offer you their support and the benefit of their experiences (including caregivers who will try to be of help to your wife).

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Keith,

Hang in there and ask as many questions as you can, both here and with your docs. You have tons of info that you can get on this site as well as tons of experiences ready to be shared with you. We have all vented on this site even though we know what everyone's response will be....Calm Down it doesn't help. Focus that energy in research and questions.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Keith, I am really sorry to hear of your reoccurance, gosh it is scary. I am coming up on 5 years in May. I had radiation and surgery. I hope everything turns out well, please keep us updated....Love, Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---

Hi Keith,
Welcome to the site and glad you found us. I know what you are feeling as I had a new occurence four years to the day after my first. Try to enjoy the holidays and then get the best treatment you can find. As stated before, a CCC center is usually the best place to go or at least get a second opinion from one to confirm what your doctor thinks.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311