Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#21740 12-19-2006 08:18 PM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello everyone.

I was diagnosed with SCC of the gum a couple of weeks ago. It has been caught very early, barely stage I. I spent several days at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN getting all of the tests that one with Cancer needs. I will be having surgery on January 12th to remove three teeth and part of my jaw bone. My outlook is very good. But I am still scared. I have three kids, ages 5, 4 and 2 1/2. My Mom died of Cancer when I was 8, so just hearing the "C" word is enough to make me panic.

I spent a good part of my day reading posts on this site and it has really touched my heart. You all seem like such wonderful people. I don't have any specific questions now, but thought I'd introduce myself. And you can bet that my prayers will be directed to all of you that are going through the same stuff.

Goodnight.

Dx 11/30/2006 Stage I SCC of gum/surgery 01/12/07 resection of the right posterior mandible with a right buccal transpositional flap 3 teeth removed/reconstruction to come in 9-12 months
#21741 12-19-2006 11:09 PM

Welcome Amy
I can say you are in a great place, Rochester Mayo. I had 4 teeth removed before the radition.
You are very lucky to have caught it early.
And on a positive note think about it we get check over every 3 months after all said and done, that is a great protection. I have 2 boys 12 & 15. There mother also had breast Cancer 4 years ago, so they got a double dose.
Im from MadisonLake Minn there are a few of us that have the same thing right around here.
It is a emotional roller coaster ride,
I will be thinking of you Jan 12.
Good luck
Chris

Tongue Cancer, stage 4, spread to neck/ Radical neck, 3 chemos, 33 radiation. 5-18-2005
#21742 12-20-2006 04:05 AM
OP Offline

Chris,

Thank you for you thoughts and support. I guess if one has to have cancer, living 60 miles from the Mayo clinic is a pretty good luck.

After reading so many of the posts on here, I feel a little foolish even worrying about this. My problem seems so small compared to most. After my surgery, I will likely not need further treatment, less than a 10% chance they tell me. Of course I am thrilled with that news, but it is still a scary road, none-the-less. At this point, I am stressing about waking up after surgery with part of my mouth gone. It's just teeth and jaw bone afterall, I should be able to function just fine, I am told. But still, the thought of it all is making me crazy. Not as crazy as the not knowing part. The week I spent waiting for test results to find out if this had spread anywhere was the very longest, most painful week of my life.

I have not lost my sense of humor, and I don't intend to. That's what I am banking on to get me through. That and the support of good people like you.

Where is Madison Lake? I am drawing a blank.

Amy

Dx 11/30/2006 Stage I SCC of gum/surgery 01/12/07 resection of the right posterior mandible with a right buccal transpositional flap 3 teeth removed/reconstruction to come in 9-12 months
#21743 12-20-2006 05:37 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Amy,

Take a deep breath. Everybody goes through the shock period. It's a natural defense the body puts up. We are all fortunate to have been Dx, whatever the stage and I hope that surgery will be all you need. I didn't have to have surgery but did have to go through the Chemoradiation Tx. Either way the goal is NO CANCER.

Feel free to ask any question. I think you will find many answers from different perspectives.

GOOD LUCK with the surgery and please keep everyone up to date.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#21744 12-20-2006 06:32 AM

It over by Mankato. There is no getting around the worry. Your sense of humor will help alot.
Chris

Tongue Cancer, stage 4, spread to neck/ Radical neck, 3 chemos, 33 radiation. 5-18-2005
#21745 12-20-2006 07:55 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

AMY, it breaks my heart to see a mother of 3 kids so young have to go thru what you are going thru. There,s something about you and your past that leads me to think your going to do fine. Young children are the best medicine in the world coupled with your great sense of humor I see you being an inspiration to many for years to come.
Best Wishes,
Mark D.

Mark D. Stage 3 Nasopharynx dx10/99 T2N3M0 40xrad 2x Cisplatin 5FU. acute leuk 1998.
#21746 12-20-2006 07:56 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Dear Amy,

You don't say whether your SCC is on your lower jaw (the mandible) or your upper jaw (the maxilla.) Almost exactly one year ago, I had a partial maxillectomy with a partial palatectomy because of SCC on my upper right gum, which had spread to the inner side of the gum and onto the hard palate.

You are correct in that there are others on this board whose problems make me thankful that this is "all" I had to contend with. However, it is a significant event, and a loss that we have to come to terms with. And it is still cancer, an ugly disease whose voice lurks in the back of your brain trying to make you depressed. That is part of the battle....learning to ignore that voice!

Thankfully, in the case of maxillectomies, there are prosthetic devices that help restore the patient to normal function eventually. I was pretty unhappy for a while after my surgery, but I, like you, was determined to take back my life,,,,,and I have! I do everything I was doing before my surgery, with the help and understanding of friends and family.

If you want to talk about it more, feel free to ask anything at all. It is an odd surgery, and there are not many of "us" on this board. There are a few, however, and we are all a bit ahead of you.

I, too, was told that the maxillectomy often results in a complete cure, without the need for further treatment. I have had a one-year check-up, including a PET/CT scan, and I am all clear, TG! and I had only surgery, without radiation or chemo. My surgeon said from the outset that he is very "aggressive," going for a cure. I had clear margins. I did have a neck dissection, because of the size of my lesion and the length of time it had been overlooked by my dentist, and all of the nodes were clear.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
#21747 12-20-2006 08:06 AM

One more thing, Amy.....Do NOT apologize that your cancer is not as "bad" as someone else's. It is still quite serious, and many of the things we have to deal with are shared by the others on this board. You will do just fine, and your spirit will see you through. But don't diminish the seriousness of it, and don't feel that you don't deserve just as much attention and concern as others with different circumstances. If things turn out to be fairly simple, we will all sincerely rejoice with you!

I, too, have had these feelings, and I am truly thankful that my cancer seems to be gone. I still have lots to learn, however, and cancer will forever be a part of my life. If I remain healthy....which I expect to do!!....then perhaps I can pass along to others...like you!....some of the help I received from others before me.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
#21748 12-20-2006 09:06 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Amy -
I just wanted to welcome you also. My husband and I grew up in Winona, now living in Florida, land of black socks and plaid shorts....and voter discrepencies. smile
My husband has had 3 bouts of SCC (within 5 years), all on gum or inside cheek. He has lost 3 teeth total and part of his jaw via "shaving" with all the surgeries. He never required radiation because all were so small, and had clean margins, so they decided against it. Sounds like that will hold true for you too. He did have a neck dissection with first surgery, and the nodes were also clear. He never smoked and isn't much of drinker, but does have leukoplakia, which may be the origin of the individual cancers. I agree with Mark (and all the posters) that you are young, have much to look forward to, and the cancer was caught early, so you will "do fine". I also have high hopes for you. Who found the cancer? Was it you or a doctor? Keep us updated on your progress.
Warmly, JaneP

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
#21749 12-20-2006 09:55 AM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I am curous who caught it? Was it a dental professional who noticed something (Doesn't happen often enough)? If so in the dental section of the web site we have a life savers area for dentists that we recognize as being really on top of things and catching this disease early.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics