Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21642 12-01-2006 02:26 PM
OP Offline

Hi all, am brand new to all of this. Just got dx with Lymph node neck cancer, Level I and II. Anyone out there with this kind of cancer? I go to oncologist on Tuesday for decisions on my care. Any thoughts from anyone? Help!

#21643 12-01-2006 03:02 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dear LGLG7. Hope you have the time to read all you can on this site. Are you aware of the search button for particular questions that you would like to research? I would recommend that you start your notebook of questions [do not try to remember them in your head-write them down] and be sure to have another pair of ears listening with you on Tuesday. Once the oncologist gives you his recommended treatment, post it here with your questions. While you will not receive medical advice, you will get thought provoking feedback on how to make some good decisions. Most important- keep a positive attitude and try to stay in control of what is going on. You wil get good help here. Best wishes, Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#21644 12-01-2006 03:47 PM
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Welcome! You've found the right place. As Amy said, no medical opinions to be found here, but a lot of very knowledgeable people who have been through it.

She made a couple of great suggestions....search the site for information, write down all the questions you have for the Doctors, and take someone along with you as an extra set of ears.

You are probably pretty overwhelmed right now, and extra ears often hear things that you don't, especially in the early days post diagnosis.

The journey you're starting won't be a easy one, and there will be bumps in the road to recovery, but you can do it, and there are lots and lots of folks here that have.

Kep us posted on what the doctors have to say, and much luck!
Wayne
stage IV SCC of left mandible. 50% of mandible removed, rebuilt with fibula, titanium and tissue grafts, June 06. 30 IMRT August and Sept. 06

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
#21645 12-01-2006 04:23 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Dear LGLG7,
Ditto to what Amy and Wayne said and Welcome. You will find this website invaluable as you proceed through your treatment. My father just finished treatment in May, 06. He is located in Vincennes Indiana. Where in Indiana are you located? As Amy said, after your meeting Tuesday, let us know his recommendation etc and we can at least let you know our personal experiences some of which are from the caregivers prospective and some of which are from the patients prospective. Keep a notebook and write as much down as you can as you are about to be blasted with all kinds of information.
Take care,
Kim

Caregiver to Father:Stage III unknown primary; modified left side neck dissection 2/2006; 8 wk trmts of Erbitux 3/2006 with-37 radition treatments; 11.2010; biopsy of base of tongue results questionable. 9.2013 tumor on left side of tongue; squamous cell cancer. 10.2.2013 Hemiglossectomy(1/2 tongue removed) with reconstruct tongue using left thigh tissue;surgery included IORT.
25 additional IMRT radiation trtmts & 5 wks/chemo. Carbo & Taxol combo.NPO;100% PEG depend;aspiration pneumonia 3/2014
#21646 12-02-2006 03:10 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Let us know what you are told Tuesday and you will be flooded with helpful suggestions. I didn't find this site until after my Tx had ended but it still was the best thing that happened to me. Just knowing that you have many people that have "been there, done that" is comforting and believe me you will like to be comforted during your Tx.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#21647 12-02-2006 03:56 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Lymph node as an independent cancer is not common, and I would be asking my oncologist / head and neck surgeon where the primary might be. You don't mention what kinds of diganostic work ups you have had such as CT or MRI, PET scan etc. which might reveal a pathology that isn't evident right now. If you haven't been through all this, you may very well find that the neck nodes are actually a metastasis from a primary located somewhere else. There are several people here that have had unknown primaries with only malignancies found in the nodes after scans were performed (Those nodes being positive for squamous cell carcinoma, the most common head and neck cancer.) Speculation from doctors related to these cases is that for some reason the body's immune system finally copes with the primary eliminating it, but the met is still active. So there is essentialy no primary to find. These patients still go through the regular routine of treatments even though the primary cannot be located. Anecdotal evidence from a couple of major cancer centers shows that these individuals with unknown primaries have a slight survival advantage.

If you actually have been told that you have lymphatic cancer, (what I kind of infer from your original post) that is very different from head and neck cancers in many respects from symptoms to risk factors. Chills, swelling of the lymph nodes - which are often, but not always painless, fever, night sweats, unexplained weight loss, lack of energy, itching are primary symptoms.

The causes of Lymphomas including non-Hodgkin

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#21648 12-03-2006 03:14 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Dear LGLG7, I wish you the best on your visit tommorrow. Brian has given you excellent advice. As a survivor of both a blood cancer and a head and neck cancer they are vastly different in their treatment. As hard as it seems to you now try and remember that regardless of any future statistics you may read about that everyone that posts here has faced the same scary future of uncertainty. We are all here to help each other. And our thoughts are with you tommorrow on a very anxious day for you.
Best Wishes,
Mark D.

Mark D. Stage 3 Nasopharynx dx10/99 T2N3M0 40xrad 2x Cisplatin 5FU. acute leuk 1998.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23