Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi everyone. I underwent a modified radical neck dissection in April of this year followed up with radiation and chemotherapy. I actually held up under the radiation and chemo (except for the vomiting which was controlled incredibly well with Emend). It wasn't until about three days after radiation ended (mid August) that the after affects hit me like a freight train. I was in the hospital (VA Med Center, Mather, CA) for about a week with a bunch of infections and other internal problems that are just now settling down.

The doctors and I both believe that I exposed myself to some folks who just weren't too healthy after therapy ended. This is real important since the immune system is already taking a hit. I am doing much better now.

Today I actually ate an entire bowl of vegetable soup with no problems - soon, I hope, I'll be able to get rid of the PEG.

I just wanted to say "Hi," to everyone and to let you know that after reading many of the posts already here, I'm still learning a lot, so I'll be asking some more as time goes on. God Bless you all and thank you.

Jerry
Lodi, California

SCC diagnosed 04/06; mod rad neck dissection, left side; stage IV primaries at base of tongue and on left tonsil; completed rad and chemo mid-Aug 06.
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Jerry, with the exception of being exposed to some bad germs while your immune system was low, it sounds like you are doing really well-keep it up [and wash your hands alot laugh ] Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Jerome, many may not agree with me here, but get that tube out now & start eating real food! You can do it obviously! You'll feel better all around, from my experience. I went swimming like a week after the tube was out! Be proactive & keep trying different soups or whatever. Whatever it takes! You can do it! It sounds like you are a very strong person & have been through a lot. Find your new normal as far as eating & your life will level out too. At least that was my experience. Erik

dx 2/11/04 scca bot T3 IU 2B MO poorly differentiated, margins ok, 3/16 modest, jaw split, over half of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - finished chemo & rad treatment 5/20/04
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Jerome,
I would NEVER disagree with Erik.........I like him to much laugh BUT, I will give you a different answer! You're only a month out of radiation, it took me close to 4 months to even begin to eat enough to sustain my self properly. If you take the tube out to soon, you jeapordize your energy level with poor nutrition. I ended radiation in July and had the tube pulled in January. I kept it a little longer then I needed to, but I was no where near ready to eat a month after treatment ended. Play it by ear, your body will know when it's time. Just don't get lazy and become dependent on the tube because it's easier.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Different treatments, diffferent people, different healing times. For sure you need to keep working towards a normal eating life, at least your new normal. But you need to go there at your pace. Having a tube hanging out of you isn't going to change the world as far as moving forward. WHEN you are sure you can get ALL the nutrition you need via your mouth, THEN it is time to have it out. In my own experience that was a LONG time after the end of treatments. But I kept working at soups, soft eggs, chilled canned peach slices by the gallon, and eventually one day I realized I coud get my 2000 calories a day without it. Your body will tell you when - not your doctors and not anyone on this board. Just keep working on getting back into life, in your daily activities, your ability to exercise (slowly at first), your ability to fend off infections, your ability to work part time, then full time... all this takes time. Just like eating real food. Set your own goals - go at a speed that works for you.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Hi Jerry,

I can't add anything to what you've been told already as my treatment was very different from yours as I was a Stage I.

However, I'd like to welcome another Jerry to the forum.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics