Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21137 09-18-2006 09:56 PM
BrendaB Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello, I'm new on here. I was diagnosed with Acinic cell carcinoma early in 2004. Had half my jawbone removed, half my tongue, radical neck dissection etc.. 18 months later it returned and had rest of my jaw removed. 6months later a tumour in my skull was zapped by Gamma Knife treatment. I'm doing okay!

I am interested in knowing more about the 'new' drug called Erbitux (Cetuximab) and would be grateful if anyone who has had experience of this could let me know how it affected them - the good bits and the bad! This drug is not yet available on the NHS in the UK (can be got privately) but I believe it is used in America. Many thanks.

BrendaB
#21138 09-19-2006 06:15 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Brenda,
There are a few of us here have experience with Erbitux. You can find what's been posted so far by using the search function at the top of the page (under the 'post a reply' buttons) and enter "Erbitux" as the keyword and choose "all forums."

The basics are that it was just approved this year here in the US for use with oral cancers, but it has been used for some time to effectively treat colorectal cancers. There are a few people here who have been/are still involved in clinical trials. Erbitux works differently than other chemo drugs; it is a monoclonal antibody and seeks a very specific substance in the body and binds to it.

Here are a few links to more info:
http://www.fda.gov/CDER/DRUG/infopage/Erbitux/erbituxQA.htm
http://www.bms.com/news/press/data/fg_press_release_6232.html
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/c...w_Approved_for_Head_and_Neck_Cancers.asp

My husband had 8 Erbitux treatments administered weekly. His side effects were relatively mild: the rash (you'll read a lot about the rash) and also dry, cracking skin on his fingers and toes.

I've read about the stir in the UK over Erbitux. Even here, our oncologist had to do some arm-twisting with our insurance company to have it covered.

Joyce

CG to Tom dx SCC 5/06; right neck lymph nodes removed, dx right tonsil and tonsillectomy 6/06; rad and chemo started 7/06; treatment COMPLETED 9/06 33x rad; Erbitux (8x); Cisplatin (2);
#21139 09-19-2006 08:04 AM
BrendaB Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Joyce Thank you so much for your help. In researching the drug it has 'let me in' to lots of the stories on this site and it is great to read that so many of you are able to help and support each other over this dreadful disease. I am a regular contributor to the UK equivalent 'Mouth Cancer Foundation' site (I hope it's ok to say that!) but, as I mentioned, we have very little experience of the drug (Erbitux)and I am doing my darndest to gather info to lobby the 'powers that be' into making it available to mouth cancer sufferers on the NHS. It was turned down here as a possible drug for bowel cancer,presumably because of the cost. Let's hope we have better results. Thank you again. Brenda.

BrendaB
#21140 09-19-2006 03:34 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi, Brenda, My husband has been on Erbitux since July 06. He has experienced the "usual side effects"- mostly rash, skin problems around nails, etc. and tiredness. The drug did shrink "to nothing" a large external tumor on his face. We are awaiting the results of a PET scan to see what has happened inside his mouth. Best luck to you, and please e-mail me if you have questions I might answer. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#21141 09-20-2006 10:44 AM
BrendaB Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Amy. This drug does seem to be having very positive results. I'm so pleased your husband's tumour responded so well to it and just pray that the scan results are just as reassuring.
Regards.

BrendaB

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users