Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

UCLA is a comprehensive cancer treatment center, a teaching institution, as well as a respected research facility. Take a look at the resources page of the main site, and there is a link to UCLA there where you can explore the facility and services they provide.

The Vice Chancellor of the UCLA Medical System, Dr. Callander, who was the head and neck surgeon that did my neck dissection when he was chief of medicine at MDACC, is on the OCF science advisory board. Dr. Wong who is the saliva diagnostics pioneer for early detection of oral cancer and other diseases, is also there and on the OCF science advisory board, representing the field of molecular biology.

I might add that I am like Gary in that my intraoral disease was treated with radiation and not surgery, and the only surgery I had was my ND. I was in the hospital 3 days for the dissection and came back a week or so later to have the staples out. I did not get a second opinion, but went directly to one of the best CCC's in the world, MDACC in Houston. I had a tumor board review of all my scans and was reexamined physically by all the members of the board who then came up with a joint decision on my treatment plan. I am now 8 years out and doing well.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Rhonda Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Brian-
I am feeling really good about UCLA.

This website is wonderful - thank you so much.

10/2006 SCC of tongue, 2cm+ (T2)No node involvement or metastases; Resection approx. 1/3 of tongue, free flap reconstruction and MRND (lymph nodes removed) on 10-11. No cancer in lymph nodes - No further treatment recommended at this time. 3.5 years cancer free.
Rhonda Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Everyone. I have been to UCLA and will have surgery on 10-11 there. My MRI of head and neck didn't show any lymph node involvement, so at this time my Dx is T2 with no nodes and no metastases.

I have been reading posts and learning - even while I was on my cruise once in a while. I got back to LA last Friday after an overnight flight and had my appt at UCLA that afternoon and ended up staying over the weekend so I could have my MRI on Monday and see another Dr. on Tuesday.(plastic surgeon for tongue reconstruction)

I'm going to start a new Topic about what's happening.

Thanks for being here!
Rhonda

10/2006 SCC of tongue, 2cm+ (T2)No node involvement or metastases; Resection approx. 1/3 of tongue, free flap reconstruction and MRND (lymph nodes removed) on 10-11. No cancer in lymph nodes - No further treatment recommended at this time. 3.5 years cancer free.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Dr. S at UCLA did my nd. I don't think I could have had a better surgeon.

dx 2/13/06. modified radical neck dissection 3/9/06 multiple biopsies of upper airway and direct laryngoscopy. 1 of 47 lymph nodes positive for metastatic undifferentiated carcinoma (lymphoepithelioma). Unknown primary. Finished radiation 5/24/06.
Rhonda Offline OP
OP Offline

Riley,
This is too amazing! Dr. S is doing my surgery, and has brought in Dr. B to do the reconstruction. I feel really good about both of them, and am thrilled to hear your recommendation.

AND - I live in Grover Beach!

I'm in the process of writing the full explanation as a new topic. - will be there soon!

Rhonda

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics