Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi y'all,

I'm another new patient. 45, married male. Just diagnosed with Stage III Squamous Cell Cancer. I guess it's mostly neat my submandibular gland with a "finger" wrapped around my carotid.

I'm meeting with the new docs next Weds. at MD Anderson Orlando. I have no idea what they're going to recommend.

I'm sure I have a trillion things I should worry about. Right now, though, I'm wondering if I should try to get over to Houston or someplace for a second opinion, or should I feel OK about the Orlando branch? It's very near my house, which is cool, but I'd rather get good, rather than convenient, treatment.

Oh, by the way, I'm scared sh*tless smile

teamshrink

Age 46; SCC BOT T3N1M0l dx 9/06
Cisplatin x3; radiation x42
Completed tx 10/31; Selective neck dissection 12/06

Hang in there teamshrink, I, like you am a newbie. Diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma base of tongue stage 4 with multiple lymph node involvement on July 26th. I am a pharmacist and have a great deal of resources with physicians, etc in the Memphis TN area. I am using local doctors that I have known for years and have much confidence in. As a matter of fact my oncologist completed his head /neck cancer residency at MD Anderson in Texas. I just had my 4 chemo treatment which I am getting weekly. Taxol and Carboplatin. Everything is going fine and going next Tuesday for Radiation Therapy assessment. Good luck and keep utilizing this site, it is an excellent resource for information and support
Joe

Teamshrink
Sorry we had to meet this way but welcome and Joe is right you will find this website an excellent source of information. My father just completed treatment in May so we are not far behind you.
This is not an easy road but very doable just ask questions and ask more questions and continue to post. If I could ask what made you go to the doctor which found the cancer? I am always curious when a person so young is stricken with this disease.
Stay strong
Kim

Caregiver to Father:Stage III unknown primary; modified left side neck dissection 2/2006; 8 wk trmts of Erbitux 3/2006 with-37 radition treatments; 11.2010; biopsy of base of tongue results questionable. 9.2013 tumor on left side of tongue; squamous cell cancer. 10.2.2013 Hemiglossectomy(1/2 tongue removed) with reconstruct tongue using left thigh tissue;surgery included IORT.
25 additional IMRT radiation trtmts & 5 wks/chemo. Carbo & Taxol combo.NPO;100% PEG depend;aspiration pneumonia 3/2014
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi,Teamshrink- 2nd opinions wouldn't hurt. I would ask the Orlando guys to consult [send your chart] to Houston for review at least. They should not mind doing that. Ask them also how long ago they were trained and how much Head and Neck cancer they deal with everyday. Being scared is appropriate-being prepared is much better long term. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
JAM Offline

Hey, Joerx! You hail from my neck of the woods. I was born and raised in Marianna. Glad to know you have contacts in Memphis that you have confidence in. We are not to far away, so if you need to talk, or come visit for a day, just yell. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Teamshrink, I was treated at an extension of a CCC near my house and there were some issues with that, I think, in terms of the care I got there vs. had I gone to the main campus of the CCC (3 hours away).

I went to another CCC entirely for a second opinion and got quite a different opinion about what should be done at first. I didn't go to the other CCC for treatment, though, because it was in a city 6 hours away and when I came back here, the place here said they would give me the treatment the other CCC recommended. BUT the rad. oncologist here did not specialize solely in head and neck cancer radiation and I think that MAY have made a difference in my results (I have had about every serious long term side effect of radiation you can have), although that's pretty hard to say with any certainty.

I would recommend a second opinion or at the VERY least a consult with MD Anderson in Houston (but I think an independent opinion at another CCC can't hurt).

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Teamshrink,

I am in Apopka, not far from you at all, in fact "Orlando" seems to be comprised of a million suburbs. The last time I checked, the website at MD Anderson Orlando was blank for Head and Neck oncology. I am very curious to find out who you are seeing. I work for the competition, Florida Hospital, and was very surprised to find there really was no one in Orlando that does what we need. I would appreciate a PM on who you are seeing as many of the doctors here practice at several hospitals. I have researched the heck out of this since I have been here and would appreciate your insight on the physicians at MD Anderson Orlando.

Sincerely,
Lisa

SCC Tongue T1N0M0\Dx 3-10-03
Hemiglossectomy, alloderm graft, modified neck dissectomy 4-14-03
3 Year Survivor!
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Teamshrink -
I too would be interested in knowing what you answer to "Lisa in Paradise" (Hi Lisa!) as we are a couple hours from Orlando and have wondered if the MD Anderson in O'do is as advanced in treatment with head and neck cancers as the M.D.Anderson in Houston. THANK YOU!
JaneP

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
OP Offline

I guess I'll find out soon. My docs look pretty well trained (Tseng, Schnellenburger, & Manon). They're described on this page:
http://www.mdandersonorlando.org/cancer_care/thoracic/what_is/index.cfm

I'll let you know about my experiene there.

Age 46; SCC BOT T3N1M0l dx 9/06
Cisplatin x3; radiation x42
Completed tx 10/31; Selective neck dissection 12/06

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37