Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#20735 07-18-2006 03:30 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

When I received the email from Danny's family at noon yesterday (Hong Kong time), my heart ached. The last mail I got from Danny was a "Love Ya" message on 27 April. I believe he was vigorously fighting his battle at that time but still made effort to spread his love to all his friends. We had emailed each other for the past 3 years and when he knew that I couldn't turn up for the Les Vegas gathering, he sent me his beautiful family photo and he looked so satisfied standing beside his wife and children. All along I have been so very impressed by Danny's positive, courageous attitude and the genorisity he had shown in helping the members here. Let's overcome our sorrow and take Danny as our role model,to offer help,support and encouragement to those suffering from cancer (patients and caregivers). In memory of my good friend, I will make a small contribution to the OFC and Gary, can you advise on how this can be done?

Karen from Hong Kong

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#20736 07-18-2006 04:00 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I don't have the vocabulary necessary to express the respect, admiration and love that I, we, have for Danny. He's a remarkable man that touched the lives of so many, providing comfort, friendship and laughs for all that had the good fortune to know him. He will continue to be an influence on my life. Man, this is not easy. I need some of his strength to get through typing this note cause the tears are streaming down my face. Danny Boy, my friend. I'm going to miss you. Thank you so much for being my friend.

Dave

Mom's caregvr. DDS failed to dx 01/03. Dx Stg IV SCC 05/03. Induct. chemo, IMRT, 5FU, H, Iressa, Neck disect, radiation. Dad's caregvr. Dx 01/04 Ext. Stg SCLC. Mets to liver/bone 08/04. Died 11/12/04. Mom tongue CA dx 06/13, hemiglossectomy (80% removed) 08/13. Clean margins and nodes, but PNI. 6/15/15: Tongue CA at base of remnant tongue. Declined further tx; hospice.
Died 10/13/15. What a long and difficult journey.
#20737 07-18-2006 06:26 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dave,

Danny was so proud to have met you over lunch. He sent many of us the photo as soon as he got home and even bragged he hit "triple digits" in the Mini on the drive.

I also just want to take a moment and thank all of you. We all have so many stories of how Danny touched our lives but never lose sight of how each of us also touched his heart. Without each other, life after the big C is unimaginable. Thanks again, Brian, for giving us all a place to hang out and more!

With Love to all of you,

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
#20738 07-26-2006 04:05 AM

Gary & All who knew Danny Boy,

I am sorry to hear of Danny's passing. I never met him but loved all of his posts. I enjoyed his sence of humor. I wished I could have met him. This world needs more people like Danny.

take care
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015
#20739 07-26-2006 05:59 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi All:

Dan was the light and spirit of our OCF trip to Vegas. As Ed said, he had a "system" for blackjack that I will never profess to figure out but boy did it work! I was fortunate enough to be standing next to him at the table as he was giving the conservative girl from Boston a lesson about "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" and it did except the money which Dan took home tenfold on that trip challenged only but the equal gambling expertise of his son Chris who was a "chip off his dad's block" both in looks and huge personality.

The sight of Dan at the Blackjack table was not one of a man fighting cancer. He didn't care that he repeated his words a few times to the hostess. He captivated the table, the hostess, and me all with just the twinkle in his eye.

Equally touching for me, besides the huge hugs Dan gave freely on that trip, was the opportunity to spend time with Dan's wife and daughter Maggie. The love they shared as a family was so evident including their realistic sense that trip needed to be special because time may be short. I remember thinking, during the OCF dinner, what incredible young adults Chris and Maggie are, to take time away from their own lives and have the poise and wisdom to know that time with Dad was sacred and possibly all to short.They so clearly delighted in Dan's wit and adored their Dad.

Dan was effusive, big-hearted, and selfless. I remember his debates with Packer 66 (Frank) about "their team", the Green Bay Packers. When Frank (Packer 66) was hospitalized here in Boston, a book arrived at my door to take to Packer in the hospital about the team. It was Dan'd quiet way of making a small difference.

Not so the HUGE Wisconsin cheese basket I got from Dan after meeting him on the OCF board. As only Dan could, he wondered-is like 10 lbs of Wisconsin cheese enough?

First Dinah, now Dan, two very incredible spirits, similar in their warm ways and gentle wisdom. Both effusive and always ready with
pom-poms to cheer for others despite their own pain.

I can only hope they are having one heck of a good time together. I suspect they are and will be looking out for all of us.

Dave and I offer our condolences to all of you who knew and loved Dan and to his family.

Gary-thanks for posting the link to the funeral home. It was very nice to read the tribute to Dan and I thought it captured him so well.

Kim

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"
#20740 07-27-2006 10:55 AM

Hi,

I am deeply saddened by the news of Danny passing. He was truly an inspiration to many people on this forum and to his many friends. I can remember how mad and shocked I was in May of 2004 when I got back from vacation to find out that he had had a reoccurence and his doctors were only giving him 6 months and didn't want to do any treatments at all. At first Danny was going to accept that route, but many of us pressured him to try treatment and get a second opinion. Then he decided to FIGHT THIS BEAST and did so with all he had. I hope the extra two years were worth it for him and his family and friends. I know it was for the rest of us.

Charlie and I had the pleasure of meeting Danny and his family in Vegas. He was always smiling, slipping his wife and kids another $100 to go do something fun after he each trip to the blackjack table. I think I should have paid some attention to what he was doing but it sure was working. Nothing mad him madder than a blackjack player who did not know what they were doing.

Our deepest sympathies to his familiy and friends. He will surely be missed by us all.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#20741 07-27-2006 01:49 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I sincerely apologize to Danny Boy's family and friends for not adding my sympathies sooner. I have been overloaded with feelings and emotions about my Aunt's and my MIL's cancer battles.

Danny was a wonderful, kind, generous man. I loved reading his posts from the day I signed on to this list more than three years ago. His upbeat and positive attitude proved that "people with cancer" still go on, still have lives, still live every day to the fullest. He had such a wonderful attitude! I learned a lot from him and I am grateful.

Heaven must have needed another angel. We know that God takes only the best for His private army.

Niece to Aunt Ro- Dx: 4/03. SCC Stg 4 BOT with mets to fl of mth & crvcl lymph node. AdenoC 1 sal gland. Two add. reconstrc. surgeries for adhesions. Recurrence 7/06- Sub-Mand AdenoC. Mets to both lungs. Lost her battle 5/4/07.
#20742 08-01-2006 11:30 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Somewhere in my running around the "Middle Kingdom" I missed the original news of Danny's passing, so I too must apologize to his family for not adding my sympathies sooner.

Danny was a great guy and I was really awestruck with his relationship with his family, and all the love they shared. I'm sure he will really be missed by all.

Triple digits in the mini, double digits on the golf course. That's Danny. Guess God needed someone to finish up the foursome.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics