Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I found this lump in Sept 05 and didn't think much of it at first, I actually thought it was a blister on the roof of my mouth from hot food. Then a couple of weeks later it was still there so I let some of the physicians I work with look at it and no one thought anything of it of course. So I waited until my next dental appt. in Dec 05 and the dentist tried me on antibiotics and said if it didn't go away in 2 weeks I'd have to go to the oral surgeon. Since I didn't think it was anything again I postponed my OS appt. until Feb. He was very nice and said he wanted me to have a test at an endodontist to see if it was an abcess and if not I would have a biopsy. So I did that but it was OK so back to the OS I go for the BX. in March. When I went for my results he was very surprised as was I to the Dx. of mucoepidermoid carcinoma. The margins were not clear on the bx. and in fact my local pathology dept. wasn't sure which type of cancer it was only that it was a cancer so luckily I live 80 miles from MD Anderson cancer center and they sent my bx. over there for a definative Dx.
I was also refered to another OS there in Houston that did my left side palatectomy 4-25-06 after this the margins were clean and I did not have to have radiation. I had a plate in my mouth for a month with alloderm graft that failed so I still have a slowly healing hole up there but it feels pretty good only alittle tender when I eat. I never smoked but I grew up in a house full of it unfortunatly.
I really wanted to become a member here to let others know what I had happen to me and get advice from others who are much farther out of treatment that myself. I still have alot of worries and doubts about all this. I didn't have any nodes removed or bx. but since all this started my left node under my jaw line has been alittle bigger than the right which I have discussed with my OS but he doesn't seem to think it feels bigger and my CT and MRI looked fine. I also had a weird sensation of something in my left nostril and left ear but I did go to an ENT my OS sent me to and have an endoscopy of my nose down to my larnyx but no bx. of the area. smile I just want to be really informed on what to look for in the future so I can STAY healthy! thanks for listening!

Stage 1 intermediate grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma of hard palate with left palatectomy 4-25-06, no radiation or chemo.
OP Offline

Did my post show up? What's up?

Stage 1 intermediate grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma of hard palate with left palatectomy 4-25-06, no radiation or chemo.
OP Offline

Did my post show up? What's up? sorry I double clicked

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Sherry

Yes, your post is here. Welcome!
I had cancer of tongue. That is what started me on my journey with Cancer. I had Squamous Cell Carcinoma.

I am sure you will find lots of help and information here. There is a lot to READ!

Take care
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Sherry, the best advice I can offer is to get checked every 6 months by the Dr. you trust the most and if you feel that anything has changed in the interim, ask for an immediate appointment. It sounds like you have done the right things so far. smile Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics