Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#20589 06-27-2006 12:39 PM
Caryn Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Everyone!
My name is Caryn. After a FNA biopsy on a mass on my left neck, I was diagnosed with a metastatic squamous cell carcinoma to the lymph node, with possible sites of origin being the mouth, throat, tonsils or lungs. My primary immediately sent me for a lung scan which came back normal. After a head and neck scan, it was determined that I have Stage III cancer of the left tonsil and one lymph node. I have since undergone chemotherapy (5FU) fusion and two 4 1/2 hours chemo treatments of Carboplatin and Taxol. I am now undergoing 7 weeks of radiation with chemo every Wednesday for six of the seven weeks.
After 12 rad treatments I stopped all treatments for a week to recover. I now have 12 treatments to go with one more chemo - my radiologist has stopped all treatments again as I cannot swallow, or talk or gargle with the magic mouthwash. I am forever gagging and throwing up blood, which scares me. I don't want to go back into the hospital and wonder if anyone is/has experienced these same symptoms.
Also, what has everyone been using to ease the burns on neck and throat?
Thanks for all your suggestions!

Caryn Healy
#20590 06-27-2006 06:42 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Related to coughing up blood don't let that freak you out. Remember that the radiation treatments are traumatising the interior of your mouth and throat to the max. I was spitting up bloody pieces of tissue towards the end of my treatments daily. As to what people have been using for burns I will let others post about that since since I went through all this 7 years ago, things have changed and improved significantly.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#20591 06-28-2006 07:59 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hello Caryn and welcome to the forum. When my husband, Tom, was going through this almost 3 years ago, his radiation doc gave him several things throughout treatment. The one that seemed to help the most was Aquaphor, which is available over the counter. It is a thick ointment, and very soothing. We also applied cool packs, not icepacks as they were too cold, but a cold washcloth eased some of his discomfort.

Tom also experienced what you and Brian are describing, and I can understand how that would be frightening. Are you able to eat OK and have you considered getting a PEG tube for the short term to give your throat a rest? You have definitely come to the right place here at the OCF for information and support. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Charlotte

Caregiver and wife of Tom: SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4. Dx 3/03: multi-drug chemo, IMRT, Tx 9/03, No surgery.
#20592 06-28-2006 11:28 AM
Caryn Offline OP
OP Offline

I get all my food and nutrients from TPN which is administered through my portacath. I understand it is going to take awhile for my throat and neck to heal, but I still have 12 treatments to go. Has anybody quit treatments before they were done? That is all that I can think of --- I don't want to give up but I can't help but think that I've already died and went to hell. IS THIS PAIN AND MUCUS EVER GOING TO GO AWAY!
Stupid question... but does anybody know how we dispose of all the dead cells that chemo and the radiation treatments are causing?

Caryn Healy
#20593 06-28-2006 11:43 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Caryn,
In answer to your question, "Is this pain and mucous ever going to go away!" - the answer is YES!
My husband is 3+ years post treatment with a similar diagnosis and treatment to yours and enjoying life to the max these days.

This WILL pass. Don't give up. It will get better.

Anita

Husband Dx 12/02 Stage 4 Tonsil Cancer T1N2bM0; surgery, radiation, chemo 1/03 - 4/03.
#20594 06-28-2006 02:38 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Caryn,
To give you further support, I can tell you that the pain and mucus will certainly go away, sooner or later. You should be now at the peak of your suffering during treatment and as others have said, spitting blood is very normal during and even after treatment. I remember spitting blood even several months after treatment occasionally. I can't tell you if anyone quits treatment but for me I never thought of quitting and in fact, I didn't have any break throughout. To me, the sooner I finished, the better. Of course, if you really can't stand the pain and all the discomfort, with the doctor's consent, you can take a break but please don't ever think of giving up. There must be solutions to your problems of swallowing (like getting a feeding tube)and pain management.Don't worry about losing your voice temporarily and I am sure you will regain your voice some time after your treatment as many of us here did.
Never give up,
Karen

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#20595 06-29-2006 01:00 AM
Caryn Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for all your support. I tend to feel sorry for myself and I let that get the better of me the last time I wrote in. I apologize for this temporary setback, I am usually a very upbeat and positive person.

Caryn Healy
#20596 06-29-2006 01:29 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hi Caryn, don't apologize this is a very difficult time for you and everyone gets discouraged at some point. Please don't stop the treatments, but it does sound like you need better pain control and symptom management. The fentanyl patch is very effective for pain if they haven't given you that ask for it. It is started at 25 or 50 and increased by the doctor until they find the right dose for you. Also ask them if Neuronton would help you as mouth pain is often neurogenic in nature. It worked well for Jack in combination with the fentanyl patch. The moutwash didn't help Jack during his radiation but lidocaine gel applied with a q-tip to the mouth sores gave temporary relief. Dead cells are flushed from your body through hydration, and 2-3 quarts of water is recommended. Are they also doing that through your port? It's in addition to the TPN. Is there a reason they didn't put a peg tube in?
Good luck and keep going, this will get better.
Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
#20597 06-29-2006 06:59 AM

HI,
I used a cream called Biafine which worked much better than the Aquaphor which didn't seem to help at all. I was recently told they now make it in a liquid form but my pharmacy still had some in cream form. This is RX so ask the RO for a script. Hope it helps.

Take care,
Eilen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#20598 06-29-2006 08:09 AM

Caryn.

For the burns on the skin, I used both Biafine and Aquaphor. Biafine 3x a day for the radiation effects, and the Aquafor (2x a day) for the toasted skin. It worked for me, and kept the crackling skin under control, along with the redness.

Regarding the mouth/throat issues, I did experience that too, but not that bad. I gargled / rinsed my mouth out with warm water, salt and baking soda 5x a day. I would alternate between oral-gel (a prescription) and the magic mouthwash. Each one had its plus

Removed righside lymph node(stage III)on 10/10/05 Unknown Primary. 6x Carbo, 2x cistplatine, 8 weeks Radiation (not IRMT)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics