Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20517 05-31-2006 08:58 AM
OP Offline

Hi I'm new here, diagnosed with cancer on right vocal chord in December 2005, radiation in January 2006, they say it worked, still no voice though, couple of weeks ago my glands on the right side started to swell up, and I get terrific pain on the right side of my face, particularly around the jaw area, my temple, , forehead, cheek and chin are very tender and ache a lot, I do have some good days when I think it's improving, but then the pain comes back , it is very difficult to eat because my jaw aches so much. I have a Ct scan tomorrow and then back to Doctor next week for results of that and a very painful biopsy they took last week. The doctor did say my vocal chord is damaged, not sure whether thats permanent or not, but it is a bit worrying, does it mean I will talk in a strained whisper for the rest of my life?
By the way I am a 57 male, living in UK.
Any help or advice would be very welcome

#20518 05-31-2006 06:38 PM

Hi benjomax, I would like to say welcome but although there are some great people here it's not the sort of group/forum that you look forward in joining. It sounds like we have had a similar cancer, mine was also on the right vocal chord.I was diagnosed in March 05 and had radiation end April/May 05. Even though I was already speaking with a hoarse voice before treatment, during it, it got worse and lost it for at least another 2 months after treatment although it did get better day by day so I don't think that's anything to worry about, just takes time for the inside which is more sensitive, to heal. As for the swelling I had nothing like you but I did have swelling at the front of my neck that felt like something was being tied tight around my throat yet nothing was there, my ENT doc said it was lymphedema and just to massage my neck whenever I was sat doing nothing and that would disperse the fluid, luckily that worked over time but I still get swelling occasionally but I do what he suggested and it goes away again.
Where in the UK are you?. I'm in the Hull area and have only had one CT and Biopsy in all the time I've had this and both where before treatment nothing since only regular check ups once a month for the first year which have now changed to 2 monthly. I'm pleased that your docs are keeping an eye on you and if it helps please go to my cancer site where I tried to keep a diary of all that happened to me the link is below. By the way I'm 50, never smoked in my life and don't drink.

#20519 06-01-2006 03:15 AM
OP Offline

Hi Uksweetheart, I'm in Newport South Wales, I had my 2nd CT scan today, and then went to chat with the cancer nurse, I have a feeling, although my results are not back until next Wednesday, that i will have to have a Laryngectomy (if thats the correct spelling), the lumps I have in my neck are still there unfortunately and causing nueralgia type pain, and along with the fact that my one vocal chord is seized up I think that is going to be the news I given will be next week. I'm glad you are on the mend, hows the eating , drinking and saliva problems now?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23