Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20514 05-31-2006 01:34 AM
jc Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for all the information I have accumulated on this website to help my brother. He's had some complications but hopefully nothing too bad. Got an infection after having teeth pulled. That seems to have cleared up. Had an allergic reaction to the dye in the CAT scan so now they give him something to counteract it before the scans. Couldn't get the feeder tube in the first try to they're going to use a cat scan to put it in. Unfortunately its on the same day his port goes in and he has his first treatment of chemo and radiation. They've decided to keep him overnight because of doing so many things on the same day. He has about an hour drive so I'm glad of that. His wife is still trying to keep working but will take sick days and vacation down the road to drive him back and forth. The family has bought him just about one of everything recommended on this website. When he finds out what works the best then we'll keep him supplied. Of all the things he's wondering about now is will he lose all his hair. I think he feels like its the only thing left that makes him look like himself. No teeth and all.
Again thank you to all of you. Thanks Brian for checking in and Joanne for your e-mails. The roller coaster is just taking off. I hope in the future this ride leaves without anyone having to be on board

#20515 05-31-2006 04:52 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi- I pray that this journey is comfortable for your brother. Charlie lost his hair from the radiation in the back of his head (it looked like a heart) and shaved it to cover it up. It is starting to grow back 2 months post TX. His chemotherapy didnt make him loose his hair. What is your brothers chemotherapy? Did they give you a detailed treatment plan? What about the stage?
At first this journey can seem overwhelming, but with time it gets more familiar for family and caretakers. It sounds like he is surrouned by love and a wonderful family.
God bless

Delia- Caregiver and fiancee to Charlie ,age 30,(SCC of Larnyx-Stage IV) chemotherapy and radiation- no surgery finished tx:4/7/06 SURVIVIOR!
#20516 05-31-2006 01:24 PM
jc Offline OP
OP Offline

My brother just called me. He lives in Michigan and I live in Minnesota. When he went to the dentist to check over his gums from all the extractions they decided to again cut and grind off some jaw bone. Same dentist who after extracting 32 teeth at once sent him home with Vicodin. He ended up in the local emergency room 36 hours later due to the pain. Today he sent him home without any pain medication. When my brother asked for some he said he wouldn't need any.
My question is this. They haven't put in a PEG yet because they couldn't see the light through his skin and need to do a CAT scan to put in the PEG. They're going to begin chemo on Monday so they're waiting on the PEG because they are concerned that the chemo could cause an infection doing both at the same time (PEG and chemo). So the plan is 5 days chemo 2 days off, put in PEG and then begin 5 days radiation, 2 days off, 5 days radiation 2 days off until the 7th week and the 7th week do five days of chemo. Now my brother was kind of out of it when we talked so I'm not sure he's got that right but I'm wondering if they're worried about chemo and an infection with PEG wouldn't there be the same concern about 6 stitches just now being put in his mouth (Wed) and starting chemo on Monday? I asked my brother if he told the other drs. what the dentist did today which was unexpected and he said he didn't. I told him tomorrow to call the VA and let them know what happened today at the dentist. He's bummed. He was just getting over the pain from the extractions, all set for the PEG tube which they knocked him out for and didn't do and now this new cutting on his jawbone.
Sorry for rambling but he's already frustrated and the tough times are still ahead.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23