Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20414 05-09-2006 07:19 AM
OP Offline

Hi I am 30 year old living in Columbus OH, two months back I felt a small lump on the left side of neck in the posterior triangle region. Went to ENT doctor and he ordered CT SCAN and MRI which did not say anything about the palpable lump I felt. Even the ENT said it is some muscle which you are feeling and forget about it. I went to 2nd ENT doctor who said the same thing. Then I forced the first ENT doctor to do fine needle aspiration on the lump I felt which came as non diagnostic. Then I went to the third ENT doctor who also said no need to do any biopsy since CT scan and MRI are not showing anything. But I requested(forced) him to do the excisional biopsy of the lump I felt. Had the excesional biopsy using local anasthesia on 4/21/06 and the lump is sent to pathology.

Here is the exact report:

Diagnosis: Benign reactive lymph node

Comment: Sections demonstrate a lymph node of essentially normal architecture;
there is mild follicular hyperplasia, mild sinus histiocytosis, and
focal hemorrhage.
Flow cytometry immunophenotyping performed on a portion f this
sample(data preceding) demonstrates no evidence of B-lymphiod
neoplasia. Immunohstochemistry for CD10 shows no abnormal
inter follicular T-lymphoid population.

The etiology of this reaction is not apparent in materials examined.
The lymph node was 1.0 X 0.6 x 0.3 cm in size.

I requested for second opinion from James Comprehensive Cancer Center in Columbus and their pathology report is

Left neck lymph node biopsy :
- Non-specific lymphoid hyperplasia with mild paracortical T-zone and sinus histiocytosis
COMMENT :

Sections show mildly enlarged lymph node with generally intact architecture, primary follicles with occasional secondary follicles, mild paracortical T

#20415 05-09-2006 07:31 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Columbus Guy, I think there are hundreds of people on this forum who would like to be in your position. Take a deep breath and thank your lucky stars you do not have cancer. The word "benign" is golden. It sounds like your anxiety is spiraling out of control unnecessarily. Please try to see all the negative reports as a good thing, not a potential problem. Believe me, you do not want oral cancer, and lucky you, it looks like you don't have it.

#20416 05-09-2006 08:24 AM

Columbus Guy, I agree with Joanna. I think you have done the right thing having two pathology reports done. They both seem to find nothing like cancer. Relax a little! The swelling is probably because the lymph flow is now interrupted (by the node removal). This will eventually reduce because the lymph will find a new path.

If you need help with anxiety, take the meds don't feel bad about it. Likely you will only need them for a short time. Go ahead and see the ENT for followup checks every few months until you are satified everything is ok.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#20417 05-09-2006 06:36 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Columbus Guy, I too agree with Joanna and Mark. I am delighted that you are clear of cancer. You've done a good job of being sure, now put it all down, heal up and go on with your life. You are a lucky man. Accept that, smile, have a drink, smile again and go do something fun. I don't want you to get an ulcer worrying about a cancer you don't have!! wink Be strong, live long. Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23