Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20317 04-30-2006 03:00 AM
OP Offline

HI - Just wanted to say hello. I have a feeling you will be hearing from me alot in the very near future. I have lots of research to do, my story is below (sorry for the length), and unfortunately I do not have all of the details, but should by the end of the week.

My father, age 63, a life long heavy smoker and very, very heavy drinker finally decided to see a physician (for cataract surgery). During the routine check-up it was discovered he needed double bypass surgery and also a large mass was discovered on his tongue (this is all in the past 3 weeks). They were not able to perform a biopsy on the tongue until the heart situation was stabalized. He had successful bypass surgery this past Tues. Prior to the heart surgery they did a CAT SCAN and PET. The PET has shown the "cancer" (although not official because of no biopsy) is on the tongue, throat and lymphnodes. He is scheduled to have his biopsy this Tuesday. Obviously, until a biopsy is done, none of the doctors are talking about "what stage" the cancer is or "treatment" options, but I can see it on their faces and hear it in their remarks, that they are very anxious to get moving on the tongue mass. Of course the weak heart does not help the situation.

Based on this very limited info, can anyone give me any info on what I should expect in the coming months. I understand that this is most probably not Stage 1 or even Stage 2. My father says that he noticed the mass about a month ago, but the doctors just keep saying there is no way that has not been there for months & months. My father did stop smoking this past January, so I have a feeling the mass was there months before this, but really started bothering him (i.e. bleeding)!

Thanks for listening - Federalhillgirl

Live Strong!
#20318 04-30-2006 10:38 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

There is a very good discussion of staging available on this website, along with some excellent personal observations by Brian Hill.
I would encourage you to check it out at the following link.

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/stages_cancer.htm

It looks like your father has a difficult road ahead, and it's great that you are advocating for him. It's a very difficult road, but one that many here have traveled. Be sure to stay in touch and get your questions answered.
As you have no doubt seen it said many times before on this board, treatment at a Comprehensive Cancer Center is strongly encouraged. The link I gave you also includes a link to the 50 best hospitals articles.

It's really tough to even speculate what to expect in the coming months. As you have said, his other health issues may determine what type of therapy will be offered. His doctors will be in a much better position to make those recommendations following the biopsies on Tuesday.
In the mean time, browse the website, educate yourself, and write down the questions you want to ask his doctors. Keep a notebook. It will prove invaluable.

Come here often with your questions.

Good Health,

Chuck

SCC Stage IV right tonsil T3N3M0. Dx 08/03. Clinical Trial:8 weeks Taxol, Carboplatin then Hydrea, 5FU, IMRT x's 48, SND, Iressa x 2yrs. Now 20 years out and thriving. Dealing with a Prostate cancer diagnosis now. Add a Bladder cancer diagnosis to all the fun.
It's always something
"Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."
#20319 04-30-2006 12:31 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello, and welcome

Sorry that you have a need to be here. For the moment you will simply have to wait for the testing process to confirm what the PET scan is showing. From the little bits of info you have it is likely that there will be discussions about radiation therapy and surgery. Be sure he is being seen by the best people you can find. Hopefully you have a Comprehensive Cancer Center nearby.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23