Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Stanford basicallly told our friend that there is no one who has ever survived this type of cancer that is this advanced? Is there any one else out there. Anyone on this forum even with an M1? I am new but I have seen anyone yet. We just want to prove them wrong. We umderstand the statistics but TJ really wants to fight this. He is not ready to hear he has no chances. He has never even recieved any chemotherepy. We are praying for a miracle. Hope all of you will pray with us.

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Supporting TJ

What does T4N2cM1 mean? Has he had any treatment at all? I also will be praying for a miricle for him.
How old is TJ? Being scared is quite normal. I'm still scared and I am almost three years out.

Please keep us posted as to how he's doing and if we can offer some support and advice we certianly will.

All My Best, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

There are always choices, and hope. Even stage 4 patients survive. Long term survival with distant mets (which you do not say where or how extensive they are) will be your biggest problem. Your previous post says tht they "think" there are mets in the lungs, and involved upper chest nodes. Does this mean that he has not had a PET scan to determine exactly what's what? If that is the case, he neds a complete work up to find everything right now so you know realistically what he is up against. Fighting this will likely be a multifaceted approach, and may mean a variety of differnet surgeries, chemos, etc. to stay ahead of it. His age, orverall health etc.will be determing factors in how much of all this he can torlerate. Depending on that M1, there may be lots of time to buy if he really wants to fight this. I know that Glenn said he is done posting here, but I am hoping that he will make an email contact with you to talk about his situation and how he has used various techniques to keep things at bay, and not only buy time but stil enjoy a pretty good quality of life. Being scared is appropriate and completly normal, no matter what the staging is.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

He had a PET scan in March and it showed a shadow in his lungs. Which they were assured it was not cancer because it did not "light" up. But April 18th he went in to be treated with IV antibiotics for pneumonia and they said his cancer may have metasitsized to his lungs. I am not sure why they have not done another pet scan yet, I will talk to his wife about that. But they said they can't do a biopsy until the pneumonia clears up. He was being treated by an oncologist in a smaller town and has only recently started going to Stanford for his next treatment. The old oncologist just wasn't supporting them. They just weren't comfortable. So he had had his second surgery at Stanford and that surgeon has set them up with an oncologist. They meet with him tomorrow. Any thing you can think of they should ask about???

Let's see... his cancer started in his tongue he had surgery. He got an all clear, then in October 2005 less than 3 months later a hard painful bump in his left throat. Took until January to get his next surgery at Stanford, he had trach put in and a peg tube placed. Right after surgery they told them the cancer had moved to the right side of his neck. He was going to start radiation then he had an abcess and he had to go back to surgery and have the abcess removed and they left the wound opened up. Which delayed treatment again. Then he finally started radiation treatments and Erbitux but they held of on cisplatin becasue of his wound. Then he finished radiation end of March, he had 8 weeks 5 days a week once daily radiation. Then was diagnosed with pneumonia went to get IV antibiotics and while in the hospital they noticed nodules on his left chest about 6 or 7nodules rangeing in size. They were growing everyday. They did a biopsy on the largest one and it was positive. So hopefully tomorrow will bring some sort of news. Hopefully they will be able to start the Chemo this week. He still has the open wound but it is healing so well. He is pretty weak right now and having trouble keeping anything down. We are going to try a kangaroo pump. We just pray they will start treatment this week. His course has been thrown so many curve balls that have continued to delay his treatment. His family all of us have tremedous faith and we know looking back does not solve anything but sometimes you can't help but say what if... Even if you know it doesn't matter. We know everthing happens for a reason. We try to pull something positive each time we find ourselves looking back and asking why did it happen that way.

Daniel
T4 N2c M1 means Tumor 4. nodes 2c meaning more than one node metastisis >6cm. M1 means distant metastisis. None of it is any good. We just pray so hard that with a miracle we can somehow get it turned around. Even just to buy some time for some new advancements to be made. This type a cancer really deserves a lot more attention.

Brian who is Glenn??

Thank you both for your responses. I know most of you have cancer or are at least family members. But i just love this family so much and I know they are so busy in their battle to save his life that I am trying my best to get as much knowledge for them as I possibly can.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23