Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20142 04-07-2006 03:46 AM
OP Offline

At age 65 I have just been diagnosed with carcinoma of the epiglottis which was found by an ENT doctor. I smoked up until age 58 so I guess it finally caught up with me. Doctor referred me to a Radiation Oncologist who says 33 treatments will be required. No surgery or Chemo. My only symtom was food hanging in my throat occasionally, I'd have to cough it back up and try again. I have a copy of my CT Scan because I'm going to MD Anderson Monday to confirm all of this before I start treatment. I keep looking for stage or numbers like those mentioned here but I don't see them. CT report just says 2.2 soft tissue lesion without extension into into aryepiglottic folds and no evidence of glottic or subglottic extension. No vocal cord involvement. Scan was on 3/29/06/ Everything seems to be happening very quickly and I am getting more nervous by the day. I found this website and its great to be able to access all of the information here. Of course I'm concerned as to how I will handle the radiation. My overall health seems to be pretty good. I live alone so probably I'll try and find someone to come in and help if need be. Maybe I will breeze through it like some others I have read about. My first post here and thanks for reading!! I'm in South Texas between Houston and Galveston.

Age 67, SCC Larynx/Voice Box (T1-N0-M0)
Laser Supraglottic Laryngectomy 4/29/06.
#20143 04-07-2006 05:14 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

good afternoon Russell,
Although my cancer was/is so different than yours there will be some similarities, I too had 33 rad treatments as well as chemo and surgery. I also live alone and that is the issue here for you, I hope that you only need a minimal of help along the way, and yes some are lucky where they do not have that hard of a time with treatment, however that being said try to put together a grooup of friends and family to take you to and from treatment because it does get difficult, I do not know how far you will have to travel for everyday treatments but it will be everyday. The more people around you, supporting you the better. Russell you will find the coolest group of people here on this web site that will help you in a multitude of ways, answer your questions, help you with your fears etc. but you will need someone around physically to help, You have to conserve your energy to help fight this beast. I am glad that you have found us, you will find no better group to be with than this group as you begin this unfortunate journey, Hang in there my friend just remember there is light at the end of the tunnel and that this treatment does have a ending day, so always remember everyday you are closer to finishing your treatment. Welcome and best of luck my friend.
Lenny

#20144 04-07-2006 03:15 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Russell, you and I are the same age, and my husband is the "youngster" by 2 years. I, too, hope you breeze through the rad. tx., but please do get a support system in place to help with transportation, gro.shopping,etc. should you need it. Remember, you will need alot of rest also. If you have a credit card to put regular household bills on[elect, telephone, etc. or free on line bill paying with your bank, you might set that up too in the event that you do start feeling bad by week 3 0r 4. Without an "inhouse caregiver", I would suggest you do everything you can to reduce your stress level for the next few months. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. Best luck. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#20145 04-08-2006 01:13 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Russell, the reality is you have probably eaten your last meal (BY MOUTH) that you will ever eat.
I have a radiation damaged epiglottis and am 100% on PEG. I haven't been able to eat any thing by mouth in a long time.
My wife is creative with a blender. She keeps my calorie load up around 2700 daily, the target my nutritionist recommended.
If you are not already fitted with a PEG, you need to get that done before or soon after entering radiation therapy.
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
#20146 04-10-2006 11:34 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I don't post often, but I do read the posts here almost weekly. My primary tumor was supraglottis which was removed with radiation. Along with the 35 radiation treatments I had seven weekly chemo treatments followed by a neck dissection at age 44 which ended about a year ago.

As a glimmer of hope here, I am enjoying lots of food, as I'm trying to regain some weight. I'll be honest and say it was a long hard slog, but I'm feeling great and outside of my neck scar and super model thinness, I look normal and can eat practically anything at this point.

Do keep us posted as to what you think you might be needing in the future. Some of the folks on here have some clever answers on where you can enlist help if you need it, or just simply advice on how to make issues easier.

Good luck to you.

Jen

#20147 04-10-2006 03:48 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for all the replys. I was all day today at MDACC Houston, tests, tests, and more tests. Back tommorrow for the same. Surgeon says it is a T-1 lesion which he might can remove with surgery, depends on neck node involvement which don't know yet. My first time to MD Anderson, this place is huge and tons of people from all over coming for treatment. I will be there most of the week and they will give me a recommendation next Monday. My idea was to get a second opinion from MDACC, but now that I've seen the place and talked to the doctors and nurses, I may have the treatment done there regardless of inconvenience or cost. Thanks for all information and support.

Age 67, SCC Larynx/Voice Box (T1-N0-M0)
Laser Supraglottic Laryngectomy 4/29/06.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23