Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#19955 03-16-2006 05:40 PM
m Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Ms Ann,

if you go on "To Peg or not PEG" in current treatment you will have lots of advices with the insertion of the PEG. I was the one who actually asked the question and people have been candidly and honestly shared their experience.

My husband David who has chosen not to have a PEG tube is at his 4th week of RT and is doing well without the PEG although he is on morphine and not being able to eat solids anymore. Milkshakes,soups and other high power drinks are part of his daily diet. He is quite of a stubbord man and has not made his decision without intense reflexion and research and discussions with people.

HAVING SAID THIS, if your fiance is having trouble swolling right now, it is paramount that he gets all the nutrients he needs to get his body in a good space. I can testified that David said that if he would have the combination of chemo and RT he would have not been able to make without the PEG. So I would advice that your fiance thinks seriously of the consequences of not having the PEG. I think that from what you wrote, he would benefit from it. Again on that post mentioned above, heaps of people have shared how "easy" the procedure is compare to the rest.

I'll think of you

Marie-Lyne

Wife of David, 44yo, SCC-BOT-R) mod. rad. ND in Jan 06. 35x standard RT from Feb-April 06. Recur on L) side same level in Sept 06 with mod rad ND. 1/48 node positive SCC + 1/48 positive micropapillary carcioma consistant with thyroid CA.
#19956 03-17-2006 07:10 AM
Ms. Ann Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks guys, I'm flying to see him this weekend and will be able to see for myself exactly how he is doing. His first round of chemo was yesterday and he was in good spirits and hadn't had any side effects as of last night. However, this morning he stated that he didn't feel as well, didn't feel like himself - which I really didn't understand.

He only explained to me that the doctors wanted to start with chemo and then possibly do the surgery or will then do the chemo with radiation daily. I believe that he has only told me as little as possible and has even said that he doesn't want me to stress if things don't look as I think they should when I see him tomorrow.

He tells me that he can only get down soft foods like mashed potatoes because his gums are still soft from the teeth being extracted. However; I think that if he could chew he would try and eat what he could with the assistance of the morphine.

What can you recommend for him to eat or drink while he's deciding if the PEG will be necessary?

#19957 03-17-2006 09:57 AM
Vin Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Ms. Ann

Sorry to hear about your Fiance. From our experiences, it was nearly impossible to swallow anything after the first month or so of chemoradiation and immediately opted for the stomach tube.

Feeding and hydration are very critical during the treatment and post treatment process. Lack of hydration as we found out required several stays for us at the hospital to get fluids through and IV.

The PEG is a very good option.

Regarding swallowing, we are 8 months out from end of treatments and swallowing is still a major difficulty even after a couple of esophagus dilations.

CG to wife;
Jan 2005 DX SCC Tongue T2N1MO; RND surgery Mar 2005; 35 XRT and 4 cisplatin completed Jul 2005.
Dec 2006 tongue surgery, Scar tissue no cancer.
Feb 2010 neck node FNA - negative.
2010 ORN right jaw plus fracture
2015 ORN left jaw plus fracture
Feb 2016 Lower jaw reconstruction by Fibula free flap+titanium plate - Permanent G-tube
June 2016 Difficulty breathing - Permanent Trachea tube
Dec 2019 DX Cervical cancer - Stage 1 - Surgery Jan 16 2020.
15-20 esophagus/larynx dilations

#19958 03-17-2006 04:30 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Ms.Ann, help him find Danny's Shake recipe here, do pureed soups and vegies, try angel hair pasta with cream sauce, there are lots of good suggestions for food here, BUT they are not easy to find [Ahem Brian]. If he can swallow mashed potatos,perhaps he can do oatmeal, cream of wheat, thinned with milk. Let us know what he thinks he can swallow and we will get you food ideas. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#19959 03-17-2006 05:06 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Ms. Ann,

I'm over a year out from treatment and still on a soft food diet. I never had a PEG tube. I swallowed as best I could all the way through my chemo and radiation treatments. Painful at times, and I probably should have gone with the PEG. But I'm one stubborn SOB. Excuse my language!

I put almost anything you can think of in a food processor. You just have to experiment. Usually any type of pasta and sauce is good. Soups and stews are great. I also drank my share of boost or ensure. I found that the Wal-Mart brand, equate, is just as nutritious and tastes just as good. Saves you a lot of money also. I'd put the equate in a blender with some ice cream and some fruit and make a very good milk shake. Not only did it taste good but the cold felt great going down the old hatch.

As JAM suggested as well, oatmeal and cream of wheat are great and nutritious. Pudding and applesauce are very good also.

Good luck,

John

SCC base of tongue. Diagnosed as stage IV, Sept. '04. Partial glossectomy, Radical neck dissection left side, 37 Radiation sessions, Chemo x 7 weeks. Finished treatments January '05. Cancer surivor!
#19960 03-18-2006 07:29 AM

Ms Ann
As John said alot of things can go into the blender..at the extreme and when he was getting bored with tha same old stuff etc Bob even had pizza in the blender...put extra sauce and pizza in the blender and made a sort of pizza soup it was pretty good actually...seriously oatmeal, yogurt. and pastas or veggies cooked very soft with cream sauces, smoothies, eggs with hollandaise sauce, rice with butter and milk all where regular menu items for quite a while and most things did have to be pureed a bit in the blender regardless of how soft i thought they were. From what i have read here the PEG seems to be a lifesaver for most so and it was hard to get Bob to eat sometimes. If I knew what I know now I probably would have pushed Bob harder to get one.
In regard to using the morphine be aware that one of the side effects can be constipation. It can be really bad and uncomfortable. Bob took Senecot I believe there are other alternatives and prescritions ....there is more info somewhere here about it that you may want to look up.

Caregiver Husband Bob SCC tongue t2nomo Partial Glosectomy/neck disection 6/04 rad ending 9/23/04
Osteoradio-necrosis of the Mandible (ONJ) DX 6/09 Surgery 7/2/09 mandible resection/ several teeth extracted/ neck dissection NO FLAP and aggressive antibiotic therapy.
#19961 03-18-2006 07:29 AM

Ms Ann
As John said alot of things can go into the blender..at the extreme and when he was getting bored with tha same old stuff etc Bob even had pizza in the blender...put extra sauce and pizza in the blender and made a sort of pizza soup it was pretty good actually...seriously oatmeal, yogurt. and pastas or veggies cooked very soft with cream sauces, smoothies, eggs with hollandaise sauce, rice with butter and milk all where regular menu items for quite a while and most things did have to be pureed a bit in the blender regardless of how soft i thought they were. From what i have read here the PEG seems to be a lifesaver for most so and it was hard to get Bob to eat sometimes. If I knew what I know now I probably would have pushed Bob harder to get one.
In regard to using the morphine be aware that one of the side effects can be constipation. It can be really bad and uncomfortable. Bob took Senecot I believe there are other alternatives and prescritions ....there is more info somewhere here about it that you may want to look up.

Caregiver Husband Bob SCC tongue t2nomo Partial Glosectomy/neck disection 6/04 rad ending 9/23/04
Osteoradio-necrosis of the Mandible (ONJ) DX 6/09 Surgery 7/2/09 mandible resection/ several teeth extracted/ neck dissection NO FLAP and aggressive antibiotic therapy.
#19962 03-19-2006 08:33 AM

I really don't understand as to why doctors give an option to the patients regarding the PEG!!

While under treatment,there's so much already to worry about & taking care of adequate nutrition through mouth is one worry to be spared of, as a result of the Peg.

During radiation,I hardly took much by mouth despite my RO urging me to do so.According to my MO,if i forced myself to swallow amidst the radiation nausea & discomfort then there's a high chance that i'd be put off with the swallowing process altogether as subconsciously i'd be associating the two together.Now it make sense.I got rid of the peg,few weeks after radiation & started swallowing & eating pretty fast too.

During radiation,maintaining your weight is extremely important & I did very well due to the PEG.I actually didn't want to get rid of it as i knew after it's removal i'd have to drink that horrible Resource ( similar to ensure).

#19963 03-31-2006 05:58 AM
Ms. Ann Offline OP
OP Offline

It has been a true roller coaster since I was last on the site. I do want to thank all of you for your help and words of encouragement. The cisplatin has been really devastating for him and he is now a week and a half out from his first round and had to go back in for fluids, etc. and started throwing up again last evening. He continues to drop weight, yet his doctor is trying to have him hold off on choosing the PEG. Now after all he has to deal with we just found out that his insurance doesn't cover prescription drugs. He is extremely fearful right now of going through is second round and I'm trying my best to be supportive and strong, yet this is so difficult as a caregiver, so I just can't imagine where the strength comes from of those of you that have gone through it. May God Bless and Keep all of you!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics