Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Thanks Gail,

Actually you are right about the yeast infection. He did say that he got some white layer on top of his tongue and the doctors said it is infection by yeast (sorry, i forgot to mention that in the last post). They gave him some cream to apply on the tongue but since he was on chemo that day, he did not apply the medication. I will ask him to use that now and I will tell him about Nystatin,Diflucan.

Thanks again for your quick response.

Praveen

OP Offline

Hello All,

My brother finised 2 chemos and 10 radiations and he went to hospital yesterday to get the 3rd chemo. The Medical Oncologist told us to finish the radiation first (All 30) then he will plan the remaining four chemos (plan is 6 chemos total).

I called up the Doc yesterday to find out why and he said my bother has severe mucositis and he would like to wait until my brother completes his radiation. My brother is compaling about some kind of sores in his mouth that are causing sever pain (mucositis i think). They are giving him some medication to take care of them

I am scared now. Will this effect his cure?

I though mucositis is a side effect of radiation, but looks like it is a chemo effect.

Please advice.

Praveen

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Mucocitis can be caused by either radiation or chemotherapy. Pain meds for it until it resolves on its own at the end of treatment are common, and necessary for most. Some people develop really severe mucocitis, and combined therapies can make it untolerable for them. No one knows what in any individual will effect a cure, and what will not. We try to tolerate the maximum treatments that can be used and all hope for positive outcomes. There are no absolute answers to that question.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Hi Brain,

Thank you for your response.

I just spoke to MO and he said two rounds of chemo is kind of standard in this type of patients and he is confident that the two my brother took should clear eveything. The MO wants to complete the radiation because it is the most imp thing at this point and chemo is multiplying the mucositis which he suspended for now.

My brother is tolerating radiation well and they gave him some medication which seems to be working fine for the mucositis. He is planning on completeing the remaining radiations.

The MO studided my brothers file one more time for me and said he is responding very well to the treatment and he thinks everything should be OK.

( I posted the same question in Currently in treatment thread and can be found at the following URL)

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/7/t/000398.html

After reading your responses and talking to MO, now I am not scared and hoping for the best.

Thanks you all once again,
Praveen

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37