Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19831 03-03-2006 08:38 AM
OP Offline

Just a spot on an x-ray.

I haven't even seen the pathologist yet.

Just a spot on an x-ray. Seriously, how can I be this distracted and frightened. How positively arrogant, self-centered, defeatist, dramatic and impractical can I be?

Just a spot on an x-ray. OK, a big spot. OK, so my dentist didn't even want to touch it. So he tried to get me a same-day appointment for a biopsy. Is this reason for drama? Is this reason for fear?

Would you kind people straighten me out. I need the voice of reason, please.

I do not wish to mention this to my family until I know more and am therefore grateful for this forum.

Yours in chicken#@%tness,
Kathryn

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours." Prather
#19832 03-03-2006 12:13 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Kathryn, this is the time for a DEEP breath. You are very fortunate to have a dentist who is wise enough to send you for a biopsy. If you have read around this forum, you will have encountered the saying "It ain't cancer 'til the pathologist says so." There are two things to be thinking about now: 1. Spots on x-rays can be many things not cancer; and 2. If it is cancer, the fact that you are discovering it sooner rather than later is very much in your favor. So breath deeply and try to keep yourself on an even keel until you have some facts. A diagnosis of cancer is NOT an automatic death sentence. I would suggest that you not read more at this site unless and until you have a diagnosis. What you read may not apply to you, but will certainly scare you. Right now just concentrate on being as calm as possible. If you do have a positive diagnosis, come back and we will answer all your questions and give lots of advice, solicited and otherwise. Bottom line, it is not the time to panic. Let us know what you discover. We will be thinking about you.

#19833 03-03-2006 01:32 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Kathryn,

Good advice from Joanna about trying to take it easy and not getting too deeply into this forum until you have a diagnosis.

However, if you can give some more details of what your dentist saw, where he saw it and what kind of x-ray he took, perhaps I can help sort things out for you.

If it would help to talk about this on the phone, send me an email and I will call you. I would even be willing to call your dentist if you don't have enough information to pass on.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#19834 03-04-2006 06:30 AM
OP Offline

Thank you both Joanna & Jerry. Good advice. I am in much better shape today. I feel more positive and less emotional. I think the combination of imagination and too much information without enough facts really did me in yesterday. I didn't know myself for a time.

I got some good information fram a radiologist friend of my father. He better educated me about other possibilities. So, now I can maintain a positive attitude and be patient until the biopsy is done, reviewed, posted, framed and signed off on.

Joanna, your advice is very sound. It should be required reading for all new members. It might stop others from making my mistake and scaring themselves out of their wits.

Jerry, your kind offer of assistance had me speechless. I don't quite know how to respond. I've rewritten these few words to you 5 times now. Thank you. I'll keep your email and let you know how things are going.

Yours Gratefully,
Kathryn

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours." Prather
#19835 03-06-2006 12:53 AM

The offer remains open.

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Please keep us posted.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics