Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19695 02-14-2006 11:04 AM
kc2mnl Offline OP
OP Offline

Dear Group,
I am the mother-in law of a 33 year old daughter-in-law who was diagnosed with a "papillary well defined squamous cell carcinoma" of the tongue last week, as far as we know it is stage one. Her mother died of this before her 30th birthday. We are all very frightened. My son (her husband of 4 months)lived as a child, in a pediatric oncology unit for most of 4 years with myself and my daughter, as his brother Jim (my other son) had Acute Myelo-Monocytic Leukemia when he was 8 years (he lived and is well.) So both Laura (daughter-in-law) and Erick (son and husband)have had scary encounters with cancer. What I wonder is this. Does genetic tongue cancer have a worse survival rate? Is it more virulent? The doctor , whom I will look up today or tomorrow is treating this aggressivly and will remove part of the tongue and the lympth nodes on the right side and then will do radiation.I should also mention that she ask a dentist about the spot one year ago and he said it was nothing, so she might or probably has had it for a year already before the biopsy . My daughter-in-law never smoked,drank,and exercises and eats very well. Does anyone know an answer to this question? I realize that I know very little about all of this as it is all so new and I haven't read most of this site , but if anyone can answer this please do so. thank you Kathy

#19696 02-14-2006 12:01 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Kathy,

I'm sorry to hear how many times your family has had to deal with one form of cancer or another. I don't have an answer to your question about genetics and tongue cancer; however, I can identify a bit with what your daughter-in-law is going through. I was 39, a non-smoker and social drinker when I was diagnosed, and I had had the tumor for a long time (was told repeatedly by my dentist and GP that it was nothing to worry about). My cancer team was determined to be very aggressive in attacking it, and I'm glad they were, as I've had nearly 17 years since then without having to deal with it again.

You don't mention whether she is being treated at a major cancer center (I hope she is, as I think it's advantageous to have the benefit of all the resources that come with those facilities). It's a good sign that her doctor plans to treat this aggressively, as this is not a disease that responds well to piecemeal measures. Many of us here have had radiation, and it can be extremely difficult to handle, especially in the latter weeks of treatment and well beyond that, but she can find plenty of support and advice here to help her get through the tough times.

Please keep us posted as you find out more about her diagnosis and treatment plan, and encourage her to check out this site as well. There's a tremendous amount of very helpful information that can be accessed through the home page, in addition to this forum.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
#19697 02-14-2006 05:20 PM
kc2mnl Offline OP
OP Offline

Dear Cathy
I can't even put in to words , without crying onto the keyboard how much I appreciate your answer. I have been reading all day and had recognised your name in some other emails . Thank you thank you !!! For sharing some of your experience. You answered some of my unasked questions. I am so ecstatic to hear how well you are doing!! It gives us hope! I will keep e-mailing when we get more information. I have all intentions of reading this whole site , I just found it today. I am really worried about who is treating her . Laura belongs to an HMO and so they sent her to their oncologist (Head,nose and throat surgeon) and head of the hospital surgery unit I think. Laura just loves him and he sounds like a great doctor from what the nurses say ,but I finally was able to get his name and with another resource that I got off the net I will do research and try to get her in the right place. She is petrified and will not go on this or any other site as of yet . I had to get permission to do research, but I will find out everthing. I know how important the right group is , when Jim (other son ) was sick we accidently landed in the best place in the bay area in ca. and I know that is why he is alive today, 30 years later!(He had a 2% chance to live 2 years then , so I know statistics don't really give you the whole picture!) Jim told me once when he was 8 and 1/2 that he decided that he would live, and I am convinced that that had allot to do with his success as I am sure Laura's fine spirit will also. I feel more confident now , I think that I felt that the cancer was more virulent because it seemed that I could not find anyone with similar history(young female nonsmoker.) It gives me warm fuzzy's to know that you are out there doing well!! You made my day!! I will close for now , thank you!!! Kathy

#19698 02-14-2006 07:57 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Kathy,
It looks like you guys are just a smidge behind us in this thing. Erik my husband was diagnosed December 22, 2005. He also has no risk factors (as is common with many on this site) My husband is 32 years old also. I understand your fears right now. Erik had surgery on Jan. 11th and had 50% of his tongue removed, and had all the lymph glands in the right side of his neck also removed. We arent sure when this thing started, (it really doesnt matter at this point) but it is out of his body now. I was terribly scared at first (still have some bad days) but we found some great doctors who wanted to treat it aggressivly, and it sounds like you guys are on the same track. Our doctors wanted to also add chemo because of the re-occurance rates, and because my husband is so healthy and young he should be able to handle it.
My husbands surgery went well and he is able to talk very well, and eat normal foods, (just a little slower now) We are just starting the treatment portion, so I am not sure how all of that will work, but just so you know that we are all here for you. Give your son and daughter in law this site, it has been a God send for us. There are a ton of scary things to look at in all of this, but take it step by step, and look for a blessing out of each day and it sure does make things a little easier.
You can e-mail me anytime, and just know Im praying!!
Jennie

Caregiver to Erik -1st DX 12/22/2005 SCC of Tongue, T3N1M0, hemi-glossectomy,60 nodes removed, carboplatnin,Erbitux, 35Rads.
Reoccurrence T1N0M0 4/14/08-partial glossectomy-16 weeks Erbitux and Taxol-
3rd reoccurrence 5/18/12- partial glossectomy
#19699 02-15-2006 06:36 AM
kc2mnl Offline OP
OP Offline

Jennie,
I woke up this morning after a pretty good sleep and the first thing I did is go on this site. Thank you for responding and my heart goes out to both you and your husband Erik as you are both so young. I have to share something with you, I have a real soft spot for Eriks as I named my son Erick because I believe that his name would make him strong , so I know your husband is strong also! I feel the warmth of hope through the computer! I didn't realize there were so many diagnosed with few risk factors. Your camaraderie give me the strength to get moving in the right direction in regards to making sure she is in the right doctor's hands. I made up my mind to tell my Erick about this site first and then maybe he can convince Laura to go on it , as I know it will help. I have work to do now , checking on Doctors !!! so I will join you all later , and thanks from the bottom of my heart for responding Jennie. You are all in my prayers too!!
Kathy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics