Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello,

I'm Scotty, 45 year old male, I retired from a twenty year Army career in 2001. Chewing tobacco is hugely popular with Soldiers as it doesn't take away one of your hands, no smoke, so when you are in tactical mode you can still use it. I actually started using Copenhage as a teenager. Originally from Oregon, I worked as a logger before enlisting in the Army, and as luck would have it, Copenhagen is also used widely in the logging industry. So, I've been using this crap most of my life. It has caused some gum recession, and discoloration of the teeth, but nothing major. Went to the dentist today and she wants me to quit....I'm trying! She said she sees sending me to the oral surgeon within a year to get a biopsy done on the inside of my lower lip. Needless to say, my eyes teared up and flashes of doom danced in my head. They say it's never too late, but my dentist talks like it's a fact; I will get oral cancer, even though she hasn't sent me for a biopsy yet so maybe I have time if I quit as fast as I can. Of course I understand that the damage could already be done and much depends on my genetics as to what will happen in the future. My dentist said it could be one year, could be twenty. I'm hoping that she was trying to shock me into getting over the hump in my efforts to quit using smokeless tobacco. Anyway, my hands are shaking and I know there is nothing anyone can say to make me feel better. I guess I just don't want to admit this is likely to happen to me. But when I really think about it, it just could. I guess I'm just scared to death and needed to vent somewhere. Thanks for reading my message.

It's never too late.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

To me, it does not sound like a scare tactic. You have an area that requires a biopsy. If it isn't cancer yet, could very well become just that in the future. Quitting GREATLY improves your chances of survival and decreases your chance of recurrence if it is the worst. I will pray that you recieve good news from the results of your biopsy and best of luck quitting. I quit cigarettes using Zyban and chewing TONS of hot cinnamon gum. I wish you the best!!!

Rick

Rick T
Stage II SCC(T2N0M0). Dx:Jan.05 Surgical removal w/Neck Dissection (nodes clear) Feb 1,2005.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Scotty, let this be your long overdue wakeup call. Read some of the stories here and you will quickly decide you do not want to add yours. It is really a no-brainer decision. If you have already done the damage, the earlier you discover the cancer, the better your odds of survival, but this is a moot point if you continue to chew. This is pretty simple. Do you want continue life as you know it? Or do you want to face truly difficult treatments, physical alteration, and a good chance of death? I have faith that a native Oregonian is smart enough to make the good choice. Yes, quittting is tough, but not nearly as tough as the alternative. That you have posted here tells me that you recognize that your behavior is risky to the extreme. If I come across as a tad crabby, it is because I don't want to see people fall into this pit. Do the right thing and do it now. This is the biggest thing you can do for yourself and for everyone who cares about you. What a great Valentine gift to your friends and family. Throw out the chew today and start on your patth to freedom from addiction. You can do it. Vent here if it helps. We understand. But you really don't have any good options other than stopping NOW.

Joanna the Crab

Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline

Quite right Joanna and rickt, thanks for responding so quickly, I really needed to hear from someone in a bad way. I'm really thinking about just trying to do it cold turkey. I know full well that I'm in danger. I don't want to die, and I don't want to go through the difficult treatments. There is no thought neccessary, just action. Listen to me, I sound so cavalier, I'm in for a rough few weeks trying to give up the tobacco, but like you said, considering the alternative, there is no choice to make.

It's never too late.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Scotty:
Most of us can't relate to your addiction because we've never been there. But most of us have at some point during treatment used heavy narcotics.
Myself, morphine and lots of it. When I decided to get off it was difficult, no craving like with nicotine, but lots of side effects.
No one can convince you to quit, it has to come from within, Scotty
Good luck...
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Scotty,

I'm a dentist and an oral cancer survivor. I am very confused as to why your dentist said "...she sees sending you to an oral surgeon within a year..."

Did she see something suspicious? Is she predicting that if you don't quit, you'll need a biopsy in a year? I'm hoping that this is just a scare technique, but the approach leaves me confused. I've read on this forum about so many of my colleagues missing oral cancer that I wonder why their education is lacking such an important factor.

Putting all of this aside, you know what you have to do...so do it now. Don't wait until you have the motivation that comes after a diagnosis of oral cancer.

Good luck.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Scotty - Your fears are familiar. Smoking was my constant companion for 30 years. The only thing I've done in my life that was more difficult than quitting smokes - was surviving cancer treatment. I really thought I was out of the woods. I had quit smoking nearly 12 years before my cancer diagnosis.

Quitting is difficult? VERY. Cancer is much tougher. You know what you need to do. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Quit now while you are still afraid - it will help. It would be a shame to need disfiguring surgery and very challenging treatments - because you couldn't quit. Walk away from it. Be strong. Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23