Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#196348 05-05-2018 02:17 AM
OP Offline

I was diagnosed with periodontal disease in December of 2016. I have several pockets ranging from 4mm to 7mm. I have been depressed most of my life and used to smoke marijuana since I was 17 pretty much every day, (I'm 26 turning 27 in July) I have recently been drinking alcohol pretty much everyday and do it to excess. Being foolish I tried cleaning around my gums and such with a toothpick and bought a scaler off the internet much like a dentist uses, but I poked some of my gums and plaque built up around it even more causing decay. I have tooth decay on a few of my teeth where the gums receded and have a hell of a time trying to keep my teeth clean but to no avail. Earlier today I had a deep cleaning from my dentist (I had half of my teeth cleaned back in July 2017 and paid out of pocket as I have no insurance) I avoided the dentist because of the high fee. He didn't mention Oral cancer at my last cleaning, but this time I came in with a hard lump on my top tooth on the outside and behind it where it is tender to the touch and I can't really eat or talk without aggravating it. It hurts and make me dizzy. It didn't appear until about 6 months ago. I smoked and drank everyday still and it got worse and worse. I stopped only about a week ago with the marijuana and haven't had a drink since yesterday. Also I have crohn's disease and vitiligo. I'm 5'9 male and weigh barely 130 pounds. Same weight as I was in high school. My diet isn't good either, sometimes I only eat once in a day and it's mostly bad food like mcdonalds or whatever I can get my hands on, I never eat fruit or vegetable except maybe once a month if that sometimes. I am ashamed at how much I've let my self go and have been suicidal recently. This time the dentist noticed my gums being puffy and really red and said I may have mouth cancer but I am stunned. I felt maybe it was just bacterial buildup because I tried to clean that part around my gums with a tooth pick and ended up basically stabbing it and opened it up a bit. He prescribed me some amoxicillan and flagyl as well as some rinse. I have no insurance and am in the process of getting some. My gums have yet to stop bleeding and I had my teeth cleaned over 12 hours ago.I know no one here is an expert but I just need someone to talk too because I feel alone and if I tell my family then they will most likely get upset and thats not going to help. All opinions are welcome. Thank you.

Last edited by dubdegenero; 05-05-2018 02:22 AM.
dubdegenero #196356 05-06-2018 05:50 PM
OP Offline

Please anybody with any insight would be appreciated, thank you.

dubdegenero #196369 05-08-2018 12:00 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Im very sorry you are having some mouth problems! I also apologize for delaying my response. Some situations are more difficult than others and to me, yours is quite a challenge.

You provided so much info Im still not quite sure what we are able to help you with. First, it sounds to me like you have had a rough road and have some many things going on. The mouth pain could be due to an abscessed tooth or gum infection or any number of other non-cancerous issues. One thing you must do immediately is to stop poking around with a toothpick. You could do some serious damage and cause even bigger mouth issues. Having a diet that isnt the best, other health concerns, alcohol and tobacco use, etc will eventually catch up to whoever is engaging in that sort of risky behavior. These things can have a huge negative impact on your life! Carrying secrets is NOT productive or healthy to anyone. I strongly advise you to have a long talk with your family about whats going on. Im sure they will help you with moral support. To be honest, going thru life partaking in unhealthy, risky behavior will eventually catch up to anyone no matter who they are. Its only a matter of time before you or anyone living this type of lifestyle encounters serious health problems. Its completely up to you to change your habits and avoid all the bad, unhealthy choices. Until you start making positive life changes, decisions, and take your good health more seriously, it will be difficult to find medical professionals who are able to help you. Its not easy helping a patient who doesnt follow their instructions and is continuing to make choice that negatively impact their health.

You may want to start with your family doctor, then maybe a dentist, ENT or oral surgeon. Theres so many things going on that its best to see very experienced medical professionals. Look into your counties assistance office on how to get some medical coverage. Check the human resources section for your area in the phone book. Or maybe thru your employer or your spouse, you could get coverage? Insurance is a tricky thing with so many variables that are different in different areas. Your family may have some ideas on what can be done to help. Open, honest communication certainly cant hurt.

Best wishes with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy