Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#195983 03-27-2018 07:07 PM
OP Offline

Hi Everyone

My dad seems to be having real saliva issues following his partial glossectomy and free flap replacement in that there is too much saliva an mucus forming in his mouth. Has anyone had this issue and any advise on how to help it? He still has his feeding tube in his nose and not sure it this is making it worse. Love any recommendations on how to help and if this is normal as to what everyone experienced?

Thanks!!!
Audrey

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Theres another member who is going thru what sounds like the same thing. Their doctor advised its normal. I dont know if your fathers situation really would be the same or similar so its best to check with his physician. If you check some recent posts, Im sure you will come across those posts.

Your father may find sleeping propped up and rinsing with 1 cup warm water/1tsp baking soda/1tsp salt several times a day helpful. He might also benefit from having the nurse use a suction machine to help get rid of his mucous. Your fathers doctor can write a prescription for a portable suction machine to use at home.

Hope this helps!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Audrey,
So sorry to hear that you and your Dad have to go through all of these challenges. But he sounds very fortunate to have you as a daughter and caregiver, you seem very well organized and goal oriented.
I just had my lingual tonsils removed, March 23rd. I have the same issue with overactive, thick saliva and mucus. I am not getting the proper amount of sleep due to this. Maybe averaging 2 hours a night, in 5 days. But my situation sounds a bit different then your Dad. My surgery was TORS, and considered minimally invasive, so it didn't take a lot out of me, so I am not pushing my doctor to do more about the mucus issue, I can see it is improving, but right now I am able to zombie my way through the day, I won't drive anywhere. Your Dad seems like he's had a rough go of it, so I think Christine gave great advice on following up with the doctor. You don't want him totally run down, going into rads and chemo.
I also am headed for rads and chemo, so I need to regain my strength also. I still have to see what date the Oncologist wants to set as the start date.
The few tips I can give on the mucus.
Once a gagging fit starts, and he is lying sideways, he should sit up, clear his mouth, until the coughing calms down. I've tried to just swallow and fight it off, it gets worse and worse.
Wherever he hangs out, you should keep some large container that he can spit into, along with some tissues and a soft towel. I use the towel when I really have to wipe my mouth harder, as it's so dry here now, I immediately started getting a skin irritation from too many tissues and paper towels.
The two rinses that work well, are the baking soda salt solution, and sparkling water. But in your father's case, he may be careful not to get sparkling water too far in the back of his throat, as I was gargling too far back, and wound up getting air trapped in my stomach. Also, it might be too astringent for him back there.
But sometimes, it's good just to swish up front with that, it really cuts through that thick mucus. Make sure it's cold, I find that easier to swish.
With the baking soda rinse, I work in stages, first I clear the front, then towards the middle, so you can get to the real culprit, behind the tongue, into the throat. That's where you can only gargle. But I need to work into the gargle stage with all that mucus. And make sure he doesn't swallow much of the rinse, besides the salt itself, the baking soda is high in sodium. But it is really important to use it, even though it's low tech.
That portable suction sounds promising that Christine mentioned. My doctor only suggested a salt rinse.
One other thing, I see he is going to be going for radiation. Did anyone mention to you that he would need a dental clearance, to make sure any major work is completed before rads?
Also, see if the Oncologist suggests any dental aids, that would need to made ahead of time. I had fluoride trays made, so I can keep my teeth as healthy as possible during the rads. If he grinds his teeth, he may want to get a night guard. I heard they are expensive. I bought one on Amazon that you form to yourself, I haven't tried it yet, so I can't attest to effectiveness or comfort.
Wow, I think I just wrote War and Peace here.
Best of luck with you and your Dad. Hopefully all this will be done by the summer, and you and him can enjoy July and August.
If you think of anything that you want to bounce off me, feel free, I am going into the rads and chemo as a newbie also.
Regards,
Mike
P. S. My daughters are away at college, they will be assisting me at the tail end of my rads, when they move back from the campus in Western NY.

Enlarged left cervical lymph node in neck on 1/9/18. Male, age 60. Had retired from working as a computer technician and a project manager for almost 38 years, on 7/1/17.
Node was removed 1/16/18 and found to have SCC P16.
Chest xray clean.
Since then, PET/CT, slight activity left parotid, possible malignancy left lingual tonsil. MRI clean.
3 endoscopies, nothing seen.
2/26/18 Larryngoscopy,primary not found.
TORS 3/23/18 lingual tonsil biopsy.,biopsy negative.
Chemo/rads started 4/18/18.
OP Offline

Mike,
Your response was so nice and detailed, it will be such a help to my dad. I really appreciate all the suggestions!

Audrey Wells

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users