Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JLohr Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello all. My husband was recently diagnosed with Squamous Cell, base of tongue primary and affecting right neck lymph node (they didn't share the stage with us and he didn't think to ask). They claim no surgery is needed, he will go through 35 radiation treatments and a few Cisplatin treatments. I have several questions, as our advice from the doctors was simply "Just do what we tell you to do from this point on." This doesn't set well with me, as we would rather be informed as to what is going on. My first question to you all is, they ASSUME it is HPV related, but no definite, therefore they say it is highly treatable. Is there a test they can do to be certain it is HPV related without surgery? Also, he's concerned about hearing loss as he is already a little deaf from an eardrum rebuild they did when he was a kid so he chose to get smaller doses of the Cisplatin over time instead of 3 large doses. There were no other suggestions for medications/chemo. This is all happening really fast and they're just taking the bull by the horns without telling us if he has a choice and what they may be. He's a musician, so I'm assuming the radiation will take quite a toll on his singing voice/ability to sing. It would be a shame if the cisplatin caused other things that would compromise his quality of life. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Jeanne

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Jeanne
Sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis and the upcoming treatments and learning about all this.
I am fairly a newbie too, and I have HPV related SCC cancer. For the doctors to know it's SCC, there must have been a biopsy. I have a copy of mine, it goes into much detail about the markers of the cancer.
So I suggest you get a copy of that biopsy. Also, I learned this a little late, get a copy of all reports, and the CDs/slides of any tests. You may have other doctors that want that. I hope you have a copier at home. Make several copies of each, and burn copies of the CDs. Also, start a journal with dates, times, locations, doctors, notes on anything related. It all runs together and you will forget.
See if the biopsy has a HPV with P16 protein. They are usually optimistic when they see that, but whatever the biopsy shows, that is just so important to every decision you guys make going forward.
Best wishes, and let me know if you have any questions about what I wrote. I am a newbie, and just learning from members here with years of treatments and information sharing. You arrived at a great site.
Regards,
Mike

Last edited by CM57; 03-28-2018 11:38 AM. Reason: Name correction

Enlarged left cervical lymph node in neck on 1/9/18. Male, age 60. Had retired from working as a computer technician and a project manager for almost 38 years, on 7/1/17.
Node was removed 1/16/18 and found to have SCC P16.
Chest xray clean.
Since then, PET/CT, slight activity left parotid, possible malignancy left lingual tonsil. MRI clean.
3 endoscopies, nothing seen.
2/26/18 Larryngoscopy,primary not found.
TORS 3/23/18 lingual tonsil biopsy.,biopsy negative.
Chemo/rads started 4/18/18.
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin

Hi Jeanne,

Welcome to the forum, though i’m sorry that you need to join our group of friends. If it is base of tongue, the most common treatments are radiation and chemo. It is just too difficult to reach the oropharynx in surgery — one RO commented that the doctors would have to cut out the tongue and break the jaw to reach the cancer. Whether the cance is HPV positive or not won’t change the treatment plan. My husband’s voice wasn’t afffected by his treatments though he did suffer slight hearing loss.

Mike has given you excellent advice with regards to record keeping. I assume ChristineB will be by soon to give you some info about hydration and nutrition so I won’t talk about that now. You and your husband may like to consider eating all his favorite foods now before the treatment begins. What with swallowing difficulties and taste changes, it may be a while before he can enjoy good food. Hang in there, you can do it.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
JLohr Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you both Mike and Gloria. I'm 42 years old and he is 61. Cancer is nothing that either one of us had planned on (who does?) but especially now. The financial aspect is going to drain us. Although we do have health insurance, it doesn't cover everything as you know and he will be out of work soon and I will be as well to drive him to his appointments and to care for him (radiation is an hour one way). They did a biopsy, drew out necrotic fluid and the cytology report came back as "suspicion of Squamous Cell." We didn't get any copies of anything as of yet, but I'm glad you mentioned it because I will be sure to. The radiation doc said the suspicion was high enough that they are treating it as such. After the biopsy, she said she believed it to be HPV related and that's what they're hoping for. I will be sure to see if the report shows HPV with P16 protein. Gloria, I'm glad to hear that your husband's voice wasn't affected. They are treating both lymph nodes, the one that they biopsied aggressively, and the other side not so aggressively. They seem to be positive about treating this, but his quality of life after is what we're both concerned about. Also, where I will be caring for him, I'm concerned that I will mess something up. I have a medical background, but have never cared for anyone with cancer before. It's overwhelming. All we can do is take it one day at a time and trust the doctors (which I have an extremely hard time with) and their decision making. Thank you again for your response. :-)

Jeanne

Husband Jim diagnosed March 6, 2018 Squamous Cell
PET scan showed base of tongue and right lymph node affected
Unable to test P16, as fluid and cells in lymph node were necrotic
T2 N2a M0
Started 7 weeks of Cisplatin and Radiation April 4 2018
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF, Jeanne! Im very sorry you have need our group to help you and your husband with his oral cancer (OC). You have come to the right place to get info and support. Being a caregiver is a tough job! Make sure you set aside some time out of every week or day if possible just for you. I know its not easy having everything on your shoulders plus taking care of someone you love who is sick all while keeping a smile on your face and talking positively. Thats more than most people could do. Even if you go out to lunch with some friends, go to a movie or out for a drive it will make help clear your head and make you feel a little better.

The smaller weekly doses of chemo was a very good decision! Pay very close attention to any change in hearing your husband may complain about, even a slight buzzing needs to be reported to his medical team. There are other chemos that can be given but from what the research all has pointed to being the best is cisplatin.

One thing you both can work on is to focus on what is within your control. If you've read any of my posts, you will notice Im a big believer in a patients intake every single day hitting the minimum numbers of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. It really is that important!!! If you can encourage your husband to take more in that will only help make all of this easier on him. When battling cancer, the patients body is burning up calories at an increased rate trying to fight the cancer and rebuild the body. I have nagged hundreds, maybe thousands of patients to pay close attention to their intake over the years since Ive recovered from my 3 rounds of OC. With your husband starting treatments very soon he needs to eat all his favorites and desserts too. If he is on the slim side putting on a few pounds would be a good idea. Its surprising when some patients need well over 5,000 calories a day to gain a couple pounds. When I was recovering from rads and chemo, I would frequently take in around 7,000 calories and didnt gain an ounce. I used to love having my gigantic chocolate peanut butter milkshakes. Eating all your husbands favorites now is a good idea as during rads, his sense of taste and ability to swallow will be compromised. Its only temporary but when going thru it, getting everything to go back to normal seems to take forever! The last thing your husband wants to do is to begin rads having cravings as its likely going to be a few months before he can manage whatever he was craving.

You mentioned your finances will be a challenge when your husband is being treated. This happens to many cancer patients, myself included. Ive added a link to the bottom of this post. Its to our main OCF site where you can find some organizations that offer financial assistance or certain services for cancer patients. It could take a while to apply or to meet a particular groups guidelines so you may want to begin looking into these things right away. I know the American Cancer Society has a volunteer drivers program that can help you by driving your husband to his treatments or doctor appointments. They also give either a $300 voucher at your local pharmacy to cover prescription co-pays or items from that store or reimburse you for costs associated with going back and forth to treatments. Theres paperwork for all their programs and it can take a little while so if you are interested, call right away. They're available 24/7. Most hospitals have programs you must ask about in order to get help to pick up co-pays, eliminate some bills, or give a discount off some of the bills. Some places even give charity care and will wipe out the entire bill for some situations. I always say... you gotta ask to get. You have nothing to lose by asking what programs are available at your husbands treatment center. I hope some of these places will help you and can take some of the financial burden off your shoulders.

One other thing you mentioned, your husbands voice. Many OC patients going thru rads will temporarily lose their voice near the end of their treatments. I lost mine for about 2 weeks. Its only a temporary issue so dont worry if this happens. Almost all will regain their voice in a few days or weeks.

Prior to starting any treatments, your husband should have a thorough dental check up, fluoride trays made, a complete blood test including thyroid and testosterone levels. It will seem like there are so many appointments. Once treatments begin it will settle into a routine.

Best wishes with everything!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
JLohr Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you so much for the info Christine. He had a dental checkup the other day and this afternoon, he goes back probably for the fluoride. We got the news yesterday that he will be having his port and PEG tube placed Monday, Tuesday is the "dry run" and Wednesday it all begins. I'm taking him out tomorrow night to a concert and dinner to try to fatten him up a little. You had mentioned a link, but I didn't see it in your post. Did I miss it? Probably.

Thank you again for the information. :-)

Jeanne

T2 N2a M0
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

I like the idea of dinner and a concert. Good for you guys.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
JLohr Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi All,

I asked my husband yesterday to get the list of labs that they ordered when he went to get his blood drawn and the only thing they're testing is PTT, INR, and Platelets. Can you tell me what the importance is of having his testosterone checked prior to radiation and also the TSH? I can make sense of the TSH since the radiation will be in his neck, but I can't make sense of the testosterone test unless the treatment was near his kidneys or testicles. If you wouldn't mind shedding some light on the subject, I'd be interested in learning. Should they have ordered these tests?

Thank you,

Jeanne

Jeanne

T2 N2a M0

Hi Jeanne

My husband was diagnosed with HPV-16 Squamous Cell Carcinoma in January and began treatment at the end of February. He had two infusions of Cisplatin and started noticing a background noise in his ears. His Oncologist suggested we move his treatment to Erbitux, which is immune therapy and much easier on the body. We did that and are glad we made that choice. The radiation is hard enough, but coupled with the Cisplatin, I think even tougher. You might want to ask about Erbitux.
Cindy

Cindy Charlton

Im very sorry I forgot to add the link to our Financial Assistance section thats in the Resources section of the main OCF site. Ive added it to the bottom of this page.

All chemos will have side effects. Carboplatin is usually the next chemo given if cisplatin produces serious side effects with ear problems. They are both platinum based chemos. Erbitux (cetuximab) is another type of chemo. It does have side effects, most patients get rashes with Erbitux some will have more serious infusion reactions. Make sure you always report any issues, no matter how insignificant they may seem to your doctor. Ive added a link at the bottom of this post to our main OCF site, theres much more in depth info about chemo.

Main OCF site, Resources, Financial Assistance

Main OCF site, Understanding, Treatments, Chemo

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV