Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#195912 03-19-2018 02:26 PM
OP Offline

Hello,

I’m so glad I found this forum. When the mouth ulcer first came up in February and I was busy playing the role of Dr. Google, I encountered a specific post from the forum but in my state of anxiety it never crossed my mind to actually notice that this IS a forum and that I could post there too. It never dawned on me to look for other posts than the same one that constantly popped up in my many searches.

For a majority of my life since 19 years old, I have been a fairly heavy drinker. For the last 5 years, it’s been more than just ‘fairly.’ I have smoked socially since 14 years old. Then, last January, I went on a Swedish snus bender, chewing from the time I awoke until the time I went to bed, each day. That lasted maybe 3 weeks. Then one night, it occurred to me that the sore which had been on the inside of my cheek had been there for longer than 2 weeks-this was 2 weeks since I had stopped chewing.

I went to an oral and maxillofacial surgeon who biopsied the site. It was a round, white, rough patch. It wasn’t painful nor did it bleed. The biopsy came back as mild dysplasia. In the pathologist report, he comes right out and says that it’s hard to know whether these changes represent atypia or precancerous changes. So from the sounds of it, he himself is uncertain whether it’s from the snus use or actual premalignant changes. Cutting back drinking has never been so easy! And the snus, I’ve never been addicted to it anyway.

I’m very glad to have found this site. From it I have learned that many dysplasias do return after being biopsied. So now I won’t freak out quiet as much if and when mine does. I know that there are other people with the same fears and worries I have. Anyway, thanks for having me.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF! Recently, we have had several new members join our group who, like yourself have dysplasia. You all are very fortunate!!!! Most dysplasia does NOT progress into cancer. But, dysplasia patients can become concerned when it has been removed and returns. Im glad you have already learned dysplasia sores do frequently return.

I hope your dysplasia experience will be your wake-up call. Leading a health lifestyle without tobacco or alcohol is about all you can do to help lessen your chances of the dysplasia turning into cancer. This means avoiding ALL forms of tobacco (even e-cigs). The only safe tobacco is no tobacco. For a patient who is a heavy user of alcohol, they may need some help to stop drinking. Go see your family doc to get their help with how best to eliminate alcohol from your daily routine. This is not going to be easy! But it is a necessity. Being a patient who has dysplasia, you sure dont want to anything to encourage the change into oral cancer! By continuing to use alcohol and/or tobacco, would be taking a huge gamble with your life! Hopefully you will be able to easily overcome whatever challenges you have in the future.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy