Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#195854 03-08-2018 01:39 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I've just recently stumbled upon this website and thought it would be great to hear others stories about their oral cancer journey. I was diagnosed in January 2018 w/ Stage 3 SCC. The really sucky thing is that I knew something was going on but I delayed getting it checked out because I am a female, in my mid 40's who doesn't smoke, rarely drinks alcohol and doesn't have HPV. And to boot, I'm a dental hygienist! I feel liked I failed myself. Working through these issues. smile
After my diagnosis, I've been very grateful to have been referred to a wonderful surgeon and healthcare team that's taking great care of me. I had 2/3 of my tongue removed on the right side as well as a few lymph nodes Feb. 6th. My surgeon also did a flap procedure so I'm also recovering from grafting on my right thigh and left forearm. I still have my peg feeding tube in and will start radiation here in the next few weeks. What a journey this has been.
I'm enjoying reading other peoples stories about their experiences but I have to say, some are comforting and some are freaking me out! Trying to stay positive at all times.
Thanks everybody for sharing!!!

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Kristen, welcome to OCF! Im so sorry you have a need for our site. We do have quite a few members who have a similar profile as you... no known cause. Its around 7% of all oral cancer (OC) diagnosed patients fall into that category. OC is a horrible disease that sneaks up on most patients by not causing pain or any major symptoms. Dont be too hard on yourself, we all are our own worst critics! Ive learned (often the hard way) the world has so many negative, ugly people and experiences that beat us up, we must learn to be kind to ourselves which makes us strong enough to withstand anything life throws at us. We are ALL so much stronger than we give ourselves credit for.

There certainly are some scary stories that have been told here. Im probably one of them, sorry. Just always remember... everybody's different and will respond in their own unique way to medicines, treatments, diseases, recovery, etc. Im sure as a dental hygienist you are familiar with patients who on paper are basically the same but are polar opposites.

Its sounds to me like you are progressing nicely with your recovery. This will be a long road until you are back on your feet. One thing to start working on is if any friends and family members offer their assistance write down their contact info so if you need a hand during rads you have people you can lean on. Most of us were not able to safely drive thru all of our radiation treatments. You have lots of time to round up helpers to drive you for your radiation treatment. The American Cancer Society has a volunteer driver program thats free. Its staffed by volunteers who are all survivors or caregivers. When I have time I drive patients to their appointments. Its refreshing to meet patients when they are probably at one of the lowest points in their lives but yet they are still usually pleasant and open to sharing their journey. I love helping out in a way that directly benefits someone.

Welcome and Im glad to have you as a new member smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thank you so much Christine for the kind words and encouragement. Yes, the surgeon said that I won't really feel like I'm back to being myself again until June- about 6 months from surgery date. One month down and only 5 to go! Thank you for your information about the American Cancer Society and the volunteer driver program. Great resource! I'm in the beginning stages of radiation consultations and depending on insurance coverage I'll be doing the therapy either at a hospital 35 miles away or 10 miles away. I'm obviously praying for the closer location. I've had a few friends offer to help and I also have a sister flying out to assist. We are just trying to figure out when she'll be needed the most. My surgeon said that Week 3-4 is usually the turning point in therapy. But, I do know that everybody is different and I'll just have to wait and see how I feel.
Again, much thanks!

Kristen S.
Stage 3 SCC Surgery 2/18
35 radiation treatments-completed 6/18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members