Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

I was recently diagnosed with "INVASIVE MODERATELY DIFFERENTIATED SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA. -LESION PRESENT AT THE DEEP MARGIN OF THE SPECIMEN". The location is "LEFT VENTRAL TONGUE". Pet and CT were negative for node involvement or metastasis, so T2N0M0. My ENT Dr is recommending surgery and then depending on the pathology, Selective Neck Dissection, Radiation, and or both, or none (wait and see). He told me I would only need to stay at the hospital for one night. He said he would place a synthetic skin graft on my tongue and a pack which would have to stay on for 5 days, to help the skin graft take. He said I would just have to drink fluid nourishment until then. This is contrasting with other peoples experiences I have been reading on this forum today. Therefore I am a little confused, as I have read many other peoples experiences and they seem much worse. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance, and I really appreciate all the information many have shared on this site.

Thanks Matt

Last edited by mbrown6944; 02-10-2018 06:22 PM.

1-29-18 T4N0M0 SCC left ventral tongue
OP Offline

Hi All
I spent several more hours reading the forums today. Wow, there is so much great information and so many people that really go out of their way to share and advise. It's truly awesome. After what I learned today, I think I can refine my question.Is the reason my ENT surgeon never mentioned reconstruction to me because he's not doing a glossectomy, just a tumor removal? Or is even a small removal of tissue considered a glossectomy and maybe partial ones don't require reconstruction? That's my confusion I guess. Also after reading these forums, I decided to definitely to get a second opinion at a CCC. Luckily for me, Moffitt is not far from where I live. Just really want to say thanks to all who have shared their experiences and offered help and encouragement to others. This a really really scary thing and this forum is a great resource.

Matt

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF, Matt! Im sorry I missed your post from last night. Definitely NOT the way I like to welcome new members. Im happy to read you have spent considerable time reading and learning about OC (oral cancer). You can easily see you have found an excellent resource to help get you thru whatever path you will take to eliminate your cancer. You're correct... this IS scary!!! Most people feel more afraid as its something new, uncharted territory that they know very little about. Dont worry, we will help get you thru this.

From what I understand about glossectomies, any time part of the tongue is removed its called a glossectomy. If you have only a small area removed you may not need a graph. Much of this is up in the air until the doctor actually gets in there and can see how invasive the tumor is. Even with todays technology, an experienced surgeon still depends on what he runs into once he starts the surgery. The smaller the area the doc takes, the easier it is to bounce back. Of course the doctor will pay close attention to get wide margins around the tumor. A second opinion is an excellent idea!!! Just remember surgeons cut and will recommend surgery. But once they cut and its gone there is no putting it back to 100% functionality.

know many OC survivors who are leading great lives after undergoing partial glossectomies with a free flap (graph usually taken from the wrist area to rebuild the tongue). I even know several who have had total glossectomies and live decent full lives. One of OCFs best examples of a patient who had life altering surgery yet she was able to thrive after her recovery. Look from posts by Misskate, Im sure you will find her posts very helpful and encouraging.

Heres the link to our main OCF site. You can also find it by clicking on the words OCF website at the bottom left of any page. On the OCF main site there is page after page of anything and everything to do with OC, treatments, etc. Im certain you will find out alot more info by reading thru that.

Main OCF Site... Understanding section

While you are getting your treatment plan and facility all set up, you should start eating all your favorite foods, desserts too. You do NOT want to go into this with cravings. You could encounter a few weeks where you struggle to eat so dig in and enjoy smile If you would need further treatment of radiation, that will negatively impact your ability to eat. Its only temporary but it can feel like its forever when you are drinking your meals instead of having a steak sizzling right off the grill.

You also will want to visit your dentist for a thorough cleaning and to make sure all your teeth are in good shape going into this. No matter what your treatment plan is you will need this taken care of before you do any treatments.

Hope I havent overwhelmed you with too much info. Hang in there, we're in your corner and will help you as much as we can. Best wishes with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Welcome Matt!

Christine said most everything I can say at this time, only better! I would also advocate a 2nd opinion at a top CCC, like Moffitt, which have better outcome than those with lesser volume, and not specializing with this type cancer, and is a member hospital of the NCI and NCCN, and ranked 6th cancer center in the country by U.S. News Reports Best Hospitals. My cousin goes there for colon cancer, after dealing with treatment locally, I told him to go there, and is glad he did.

Good luck

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I would go see Lou Harrison at Moffitt.
He is one of the best in the would.
I was a patient of his practice when he was at Beth Israel in NY.
All the best-Rob

6-05, Left Tonsil-T1N2bM0 stageIVA, chemo(Cisplatin), radiation(6660cGy), neck disection, no PEG. HPV negative. (Doc suspects posit)
3-9-09 last of 30 HBO treatments.

I just had the same procedure done. Mine was in that front part of the underside of my tongue. They took a skin graft from my upper thigh. The ENT did what’s called a bolster dressing which basically sews that side of your your tongue to your teeth to hold everything in place for the first few days. As bad as that sounds, it wasn’t really that bad. To be honest, I was expecting worse. When they remove my lymph nodes, 14 of them, they found that one was invaded. Because of that I am now scheduled for radiation treatment that starts in a couple of weeks. The area which they took the lymph nodes out is still quite swollen. Especially in the mornings. They took out the lymph nodes as a precautionary because the tumour on my tongue have reached a certain size. Apparently once it reaches 6 mm thick it has a 20 to 30% chance of spreading to the lymph nodes, and mine was and did. I’m getting radiation as a precautionary now so in hindsight The fact that they removed the lymph nodes and found something makes me more sure that I’m doing the right thing with the radiation. Good luck with your procedure. I’m sure it will go well.

Big Al
OP Offline

Hi All,
Thanks for sharing. I got my second opinion at Moffitt. She basically said the same thing as my original ENT Dr. Only problem is if I wanted her to do it I would have to wait about 5 weeks or so. So I am going to go with my first Dr. Hopefully, I will get the surgery a week from Tuesday. Will keep you posted and thanks again.

Matt

Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Matt,

Hope everything will go smoothly for you!

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
OP Offline

Hi All,

So posted for so long. I had a stroke before I went to surgery, luckily me. I any perfect body movement, Speech aphasia, as I not talk (I struggle a complete sentence). As result of a stroke as Moffit surgery risky, radiation route instead. I get beginning 7 weeks treatment. If last 2 couple weeks, (if you needle is tumors, doing a twice a radiation).Is gone you anyone that?

Matt

OP Offline

Hi,

Sorry for my previous post. I had a stroke, I now have Broca's Aphasia. I have to think hard about what I write. I currently about begin my fifth-week of radiation treatment. After that, I begin Brachytherapy. Which will allow them to do two treatments a day. Does anyone have a experience with this? Your input be would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks Matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37