Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I apologize if I'm not in the right place for this. I'm a 36 year old female, non smoker, non drinker. About 3 weeks ago I got what seemed like a sinus infection. Partial stuffy nose on right side, ear ache right side, sore throat right side and a feeling that something is back there when I swallow which doesn't stay in one spot, kind of moves back and forth.. Got an antibiotic and it didn't help. Started flonase which has helped my nose tremendously. So made my own appt for the ENT. Meanwhile i noticed two flesh colored lumps on the sides on my tongue, no pain but have been there awhile I think. Went to the ENT who specializes in oral cancer, after reading these boards, I called and asked. He's had 44 years of practicing. He did an exam with mirrors and said everything looked clear and the bumps we're nothing. Wasn't even going to scope me but I insisted. The scope is today. I've also noticed on the very back sides on my tongue are red bumps on each side, one tiny bump has a white tip the size of a pencil lead. My throat still hurts. I've lost about 14 lbs but I haven't been eating because of my anxiety. I'm treating that now also. Also my jaw has been tight a few times. I can open it to chew but sometimes me teeth hurt.

I realize you aren't doctors but you're very knowledgeable. You guys are the reason I called to make sure my ENT specialized in oral cancer. What are your opinions on what is going on?

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF. You certainly have alot of things going on! You are doing the right thing with seeking out an experienced ENT who specializes in treating oral cancer patients. That should be your best chance for receiving a diagnosis for all your symptoms. Hopefully the ENT you are seeing is a doctor who has kept up with continuing education and is up to date with all the newest findings. Twenty years ago a few strains of HPV were not something doctors knew could cause oral cancer along with other serious diseases in healthy young patients that had no other risk factors. Back then a patients age played a big part in the doctors assessment. Todays doctors now should understand so much more about HPV, how common it is and how it can lay dormant for years without any ill effects without the patient ever knowing they have it.

Im very glad you understand our site is made up of patients and caregivers not medical professionals. Its not possible for any of us to diagnose anyone over the internet. This is especially true when looking at the big picture. Our members do not have years of medical schooling, patient clinical experience, complete patient medical history and the patient physically present. Not that any of those things really help someone who doesnt have a medical background.

All your symptoms could be related or they could be just a coincidence too. If todays scope doesnt help the ENT to figure out what you have going on, I suggest asking the ENT what your next step would be to get to the bottom of this. I also suggest asking the ENT if they think all your symptoms are related and what the lumps and bumps you mentioned are. There are many, many things besides cancer that can happen in someones mouth. Its normal for most people to worry and get anxious. The stress can make symptoms appear more pronounced making it difficult to get a diagnosis. Take a deep breath and try your very best to avoid worrying too much. I know its so much easier said than done but I have been there and it really is possible to push the worries aside and focus on other things. Do your very best to stay super busy. Doing things that require your total concentration like reading a book you love thats is very detailed and on a subject you enjoy, start a hobby, do positive tasks to take your mind off things when you start to "go there". All those things will help you to avoid dwelling on the "what if's". By limiting the time you spend on "what if's" it will help you to better mentally handle your situation. It really does work! Ive done this myself for over 10 years that Ive been dealing with being diagnosed, treated and had to learn to live with my "new normal" (life with all the after effects of OC) after beating oral cancer 3 times.

Wishing you all the very best with your appointment today!!! Please let us know how you make out. Hopefully you will not have anything serious. Bets wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thank you for replying. I've been scouring sites to find information. My PCP is saying post nasal drip for the ear and throat pain. I'm just really scared of this scope. My ENTIRE said in the first meeting that I was to young for cancer, I know that to be very wrong which is why I insisted on getting scoped.

Dr Google will not get you a diagnosis, it will only help to fuel your fears more. Most medical type websites do NOT provide up to date, factual medical info. Theres far too many sites that allow advertising and are not monitored every day so wrong info can sit there for weeks/months without any correction. OCF is Health on the Net certified, we are strictly monitored and do not allow advertising which assures readers no bias. If you go to out OCF website link at he bottom of any page, you can read for hours, page after page of factual scientifically proven medical info dedicated to anything and everything to do with oral cancer.

The scope is no big deal. Ive had it done many times. Sure, its not the most comfortable procedure but its quick and will provide your doc a better idea of what they cant easily see. Wasnt your scope being done today? Which doc ruled out cancer simply by your age? It is rare for patients to be under 45 when diagnosed with oral cancer, but with HPV as the cause it has changed the dynamics of what the average patient profile looks like. Its now often younger, seemingly health adults who are under 50 when diagnosed with OC caused by HPV. Theres hundreds of HPV strains and only a few of the strains cause all the problems. Its usually HPV+ 16 and 18 which can go on to cause oral cancer, anal cancer, penile cancer and genital warts. But its still very rare for HPV to ever change into anything serious. OCF has been one of the driving forces behind much of the research of HPV and its link to cancer. You can read tons of info (on the main OCF site) just by clicking on any one of the blue HPV links thru-out my posts.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Gidget... let us know your scope results and go from there!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23