Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Greetings everyone. I have had a bump on the roof of my mouth for a few months and it just will not go away. I'm wondering if someone might have a decent idea of what it could be. I've been worrying about this nonstop and would just like to know if it looks similar to anything this community has experienced...

First my symptoms:
Red swollen bump behind my two front teeth
Odd whitish lines near the front of my mouth
Really dark line down the center of the roof of my mouth
Painful and sore roof of mouth

Please help. Be honest if it looks worrying. I went to the emergency room in a panic and they have referred me to a ear nose and throat doctor to have it looked at. I'm just curious about what this community thinks...

Last edited by ChristineB; 11-04-2017 11:52 AM. Reason: removed picture

I worry too much.

Hey Chris,
I don't want to alarm you but please def get it checked out! The dentist would be the best place to start. I had a blister, well started as a blister!! Ended up being mouth cancer. Be persistent too, it took me 3 attempts before my dentist finally sent me for a biopsy. Luckily caught in time but I've also had to endure a mandibullectomy. I had brilliant mouth hygiene too, non smoker. For your own peace of mind just get it checked. Hope it all goes well.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF! I suggest you follow up with an ENT who is experienced in treating oral cancer patients. Many dentists have not treated an oral cancer patient, let alone ever identified an oral cancer tumor. Most dentists focus only on the teeth often ignoring the tongue and other soft tissue of the mouth and throat. Please understand our site is made up of oral cancer patients/survivors and caregivers. Our members do not have medical degrees, years of medical school, years of clinical patient experience, your entire medical history, etc. I m sorry but we simply are not qualified to make guesses over the internet over what shows on a photograph (which has been removed). Even physicians can only give an educated guess as to what something might be. Often oral cancer (OC) does not present any symptoms at all which is why everyone should have an oral cancer screening every year. Only thru a biopsy will your medical professional know exactly what you have going on.

We have a saying around here (actually a couple of them)... Its only a spot (bump, lump, etc) until the biopsy says its not. Any sore that is in your mouth that does not resolve itself within 2-3 weeks should be checked by a professional. By a professional I mean an ENT who treats oral cancer patients (not the type who primarily puts tubes in kids ears). A spot, bump, etc could be any number of things that are not serious health concerns. Hopefully what you have going on is nothing serious. Best wishes with everything. Please let us know how you make out.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. I’m afraid we are just a group of caregivers and patients here and we don’t have the knowledge or skill to say if you have cancer or not — you won’t want us to anyway — it would be
most irresponsible of us if we do. I would go to an ENT who has experience treating cancer patients for my answer if I was you. You would get referred to an oncologist if you have a problem, or conversely, he would be able to assure you and tell you not to worry.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.

I hesitate to say anything except please advocate for your self!!!

I am going in for biopsy/ultrasound of my lower lip/chin area. I have a hard lump on the interior mucosa, just below my lower lip, causing numbness, tingling, and swelling of my lower lip and other areas surrounding the hard lump. This has been going on for about 9 months. I had an oral biopsy last year but it was negative...this is strange.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics