Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#195465 12-05-2017 06:35 AM
OP Offline

Hello!

I started having minor ear pain off and on. Then I developed what I think is a canker sore under my tongue. The concern is it feels like a canker sore as in the burn and pain, but the pain sort of radiates up to my ear. It's also not circlular like I know canker sores, but sort of a small line under my tongue.

My question is, I saw this come in from healthy skin to what it is today over a couple days. Does it looking like a line going up the bottom of my tongue still a characteristic of a canker sore?

It's been about a week and some days. So, I'm still playing the waiting game on 2 - 3 weeks to see if it heals on its own before I head over to a ENT (starting my second week now). I've had major dental work in the past 6 months and have had my oral surgeon / dentist just do a visual/feel examine for cancer being I am a former smoker with bad teeth prior to this sore coming in. He didn't notice anything. But this sore came out of nowhere. Seems to be impacting my ear or radiating to my ear and is taking awhile to heal. Got me stressed a bit. Yet the pain has went down a lot sense a couple days ago, yet still there in some form only when I move my tongue a certain way.

Last edited by GamerDads; 12-05-2017 06:39 AM.

Gamer / Dad
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome to the forum. May I suggest that you go and see an ENT now if the condition is causing you so much concern? Of course, you can wait for the three weeks to be up, but if you are thinking about it constantly and it is making you ultra-anxious, then a trip to the doctor’s now may make more sense.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
OP Offline

Thanks for the response. I'm not too stressed about it, but I do want to be proactive just in case. I'm 35 with two kids. I live in a good area with lots of great medical (i.e.: Duke)

Is 3 weeks standard or is 2 weeks a good point? I should stop vaping and drinking so much soda then! On that note, I haven't seen too many people mention this, but even after 3 weeks, how common is it for canker sores to still be a non-issue? So many people make it seem like it's cancer regardless, but this cancer seems rare.

Last edited by GamerDads; 12-05-2017 09:34 AM.

Gamer / Dad
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

You're correct, oral cancer is not a common cancer. But it is a deadly, life changing cancer that has a lousy survival rate. Only around 50% of newly diagnosed patients will still be alive 5 years later. The most recent numbers are around 50,000 from the US will get diagnosed in 2017. As a former smoker its in your best interest to call and get into see your ENT. Most sores will get better on their own within 2-3 weeks. If you are using a strong mouthwash (listerine or any other that contains alcohol) or ecigs, quit using them immediately. They have known cancer causing additives which will dramatically slow down healing. Also, the extra stress this is causing you could make the sore slower to heal as well. Sounds like you have something thats swollen which is causing

There are many things that can happen here and there in normally heathly adults mouths. Most are non-cancerous. An experienced ENT can give you a thorough exam and do the biopsy. They usually are have a good hunch after the exam and visually checking out a sore of what something is but they need a biopsy to confirm their opinion. As of right now, your sore/spot is NOT cancer. Its NOT cancer until the biopsy says it is. Looking at many photos of mouth sores, its not possible for non-medical professionals to differentiate whats cancer and what isnt just by looking and doing the screening. Im not sure who you are referring to saying so many make your sore seem like its cancerous. If they are not medical professionals who specialize in treating oral cancer patients then ignore what they say. A true medical professional normally will tell you it could be cancer but they wont know until the biopsy results come back.

Since its already been over a week of waiting why not save yourself some time and call the ENT to make an appointment for the end of next week? Most ENTs take a few weeks to get into see them so by calling now should save some time. Plus if your sore and the pain disappear you can always call and cancel your appointment.

I hope its nothing serious. Keep us updated on how you make out. Best wishes!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thanks!

I only ask about the sore because I'm wondering if it's not considered a canker ulcer unless it's a circle. If it's not a canker, prob be in the ENT. But it does feel like one.

Yeah, will be hard for me to stop vaping. I was using some strong mouth wash with alch and so forth to help the pain. I've stopped using it for the past few days and just been doing salt water instead. I think that's why my pain has lessened.

Gamer / Dad
OP Offline

Woke up this morning feeling a lot better. Sore is still there, but the pain from it and the pain radiating to my ear or back of my tongue is all but minimized. Seems I have developed a secondary infection in my gums on the same side as the sore around my teeth. Pretty sure this is because I kept prodding around the sore with my fingers and likely caused this myself. Serves me right.

So, I guess I will just watch for the sore to heal. Even if there is no pain, I'll still visit the ENT if the sore is still around. Better to be safe than sorry.

It's good to be able to drink soda without having the back of my tongue hurt so much.

Last edited by GamerDads; 12-06-2017 06:57 AM.

Gamer / Dad

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users