Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19529 01-31-2006 01:11 AM
OP Offline

Hello everyone,

My name is Peter and I am from the UK so forgive me if some of the medical terminology I use is a little different to your own.
Diagnosed with cancer of the tongue in July 05 I underwent bi-lateral surgery to the neck and throat and a rebuild of the tongue in late August.
This was promptly followed by five weeks of daily radio-therapy (something I would not wish on anybody!!!)and I have come out the other side with so far my first all clear from the hospital.
I feed mainly through a Peg tube but I am also trying desparately to eat as normally as I can.At the tender age of fifty I find myself reduced to being only able to cope with very limited menu's nearly all of which resemble baby food (ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE)
I think its marvelous that you have forums like this and I wish I had found it a lot sooner but if anyone wants to talk, offer or receive advice then please contact me

Good luck to all
kind regards
Peter

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Peter,
and welcome to the forum. Soft foods are about it for now. I did a lot of experimenting to determine what I could and couldn't eat - the dogs all got fat. Some here blend regular meals and eat them that way. At this stage it is important to stay hydrated and keep your nutrition up. It is good that you continue to try to take foods orally. Watch out for aspiration though - you can get pnuemonia from that.

I drank a lot of Carnation Instant Breakfast (I hated Boost and Ensure) and Hagan Daz milkshakes then graduated to softfoods like mashed potatoes and gravy, soups, stews, pastas, etc. If you have a nutritionist at your hospital they should be able to give you tips on things to try also.

Here's a link to OCF recommendations http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/nutrition_during.htm

I am sure you will get lots more tips from others here.

It just takes a whole lot of patience - the healing process is very slow.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
OP Offline

Thanks Gary (does this mean I have to get a dog?)
your swift response is much appreciated will check out the link

take care
Peter Haines

JAM Offline

Peter, have you tried angel hair pasta with olive oil or light cream sauce? We do lots of "7 Bean soup" which can be mashed down a bit or pureed. Scrambled eggs with melted cheese[or not]Give us an idea of what you can swallow and more suggestins will follow. Amy P.S. our dogs have gained weight also.

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Peter --

My husband Barry (who's also a Brit, though we live in USA) was limited to eating soft foods throughout and immediately after treatment. Other than liquid nutritional supplements (various brands), he found he could eat (using plenty of water and taking his time): scrambled eggs, pureed soups (put through blender), cream of wheat cereals and also, several varietes of cereal made for babies to which you add warm milk, soft noodles or pasta in gravy or cream sauce, very soft mashed potatoes, ice cream -- but not ice cold -- he had to microwave to get warmer otherwise he'd gag, mango juice -- diluted at first and then gradually back to full strength (much less acidic than other juices, yoghurt) and also lots of "smoothies" made with nutrient formulas, protein powders and ice cream or yoghurt.

Since you are in the UK, ask about getting Difflam (benzydamine mouth rinse) at local chemist's. It is not available in USA yet, our dental oncologist took part in a clinical trial of this and found it best for reducing severity and duration of radiation mucositis. He bemoaned that it was available "over-the-counter" in 36 countries but not yet in USA. Of course, ask your doctor before using this, as with any non-prescribed medication or supplement!

Back to food -- we noticed that once healing started it proceeded fairly quickly -- and within a few weeks he could deal with soft broiled fish and well-cooked vegetables, and now 4 months' out is eating everything in a normal manner except spicy foods. These are still a no-no. So keep eating and experimenting -- it will get better!

Best luck,
Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

peter,hang in there my friend and keep experimenting. I am just three weeks removed from having a radical neck dissection, and seven weeks from my last radiation treatment , had 33 as well as 3 rounds of chemo. my only obstacle at this point is my peg tube, I want it removed as soon as possible, I have not used it in about a week. I am trying differnt foods daily to see what works, eggs, soups, pudding, broiled or baked fish, cottage cheese, salads. Right now I am still have some taste and saliva issues and meat does not taste good nor do any legumes(beans)and ketchup is a bit spicy, but I am eating enough to main tain my weight, so the peg tube must go. Just keep trying different things it gets better daily. believe it or not one of the first things I could taste and swallow again was mild salsa without the corn chips, I actually found it refreshing. Hang in there my friend and keep pushing. Best of luck and cheers to the return of a hearty appetite, Lenny

OP Offline

Hello everyone

Thanks for all the advice you have passed my way please keep it coming.

Peter

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Peter -

What a tough journey you are on. My husband, Ken, is 5 months out from treatment and has been eating fairly 'normal' food for about a month now. The foods that work best for him have been pasta dishes, any noodles with sauce, salmon & tuna steaks (on the rare side) have gone done very well and some steamed veggies. Ground beef is ok in sauces (i.e. spaghetti) - but he has to steer clear of dry meats (chops, steaks - even chicken breasts). Stick with it - take small bites and take a drink with each bite if you have to. It will get better.
Hang in there!
Carol

Carol R - caregiver to hubby Ken. Stage 4, SCC, BOT. 6/05 dx, 9/25/05 last tx, 5/06 stroke. Four years cancer free! Still taking things 1 day at a time.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Peter-

I'm barely two weeks out of radiation therapy myself and still on the PEG. I'm waiting for my dentist to complete the flouride gel trays for a nightly flouride application to my teeth to prevent cavities before I start swallowing (besides, my throat still hurts).

Somewhere on this forum, I picked up the following book title from Amazon (enter Amazon thru the link on the OCF Forum Home Page):

Easy-to-Swallow, Easy-to-Chew Cookbook: Over 150 Tasty and Nutritious Recipes for People Who Have Difficulty Swallowing by Donna L. Weihofen, JoAnne Robbins, and Paula A. Sullivan (Paperback - Jul 19, 2002)

At least one of the authors is a registered dietician and my dietician at the Rad Onc Ctr liked the book --- Can't testify to any of the receipes because I haven't tried any.

Pete

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.

Welcome to The Oral Cancer Foundation Peter.
You won't find a more informative site on oral cancer on the web! There are many members who have traveled the journey your on and survived, you can to!
I also feed myself through the peg. I input 1700 to 2100 calories and protein per day. I inject with the 2 oz. syringe.
I mix 1/2 cup of Carnation Instant Breakfast to two cans of Jevity and mix well. This equals 650 calories. I also mix 400 calories worth of weight Gainer 2200 from GNC in about a cup of warm water. Mix well. I also add 4 oz. of Gatorade which equals about 25 calories. Than flush the peg tube with 2 syringes of water. You don't want to plug up the tube. This is over 1000 calories in one feeding. I have no problems with nausau or throwing up. GNC offers the Weight gainer at 20% off the first week of every month.
I have gained weight fast and feel stronger. I just can't seem to eat that many calories orally.
The peg has been a lifesaver for me. Some go without it and do fine.
You can go to the search engine at the top of the page and gain tons of information on just about anything about oral cancer.
Please keep us posted on how your doing, there will be alot of members pulling for you. It won't be to long and you will be the one helping others. It is a very special site with great people ready to offer advice and support.

My Insurance company pays for all the supplies (Jevity & Syringes)and delivers the stuff to my home.

All My Best, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics