Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#195300 10-26-2017 05:01 AM
OP Offline

Hi friends,
I am wondering if anyone had a similar experience. 2 months post radiation, I had a bump on my neck by my jaw (opposite side of dissection). The bump ahs been there for 2 months now so 4 months total post radiation. I had a pet scan when the bump was there and my follow up PET scan appointment as cancelled due to hurricane Irma. Results were good (thank you Lord!). It took awhile for me to get an appointment and when I saw my oncologist they prescribed a antibiotics for the bump ( I still had a mouth ulcer post radiation).. It didn't help anything and I went back and they said I bet it is a saliva gland that is clogged try hot compress and sour candy (ew) for 2 weeks. I just had an ultrasound yesterday to determine if it is a lymphnode or saliva gland issue and the technician said she cant tell me the results however, she thinks it is related to my lymphnode. The bump is tender to touch and very obvious. Since I had it during the PET scan I am confident it is not cancerous but what would a swollen lympnode that is non cancerous be an issue about and how could it be healed. Could it be soft tissue issues related to radiation? Has anyone had this experience? Thank you so much!

31 years old, SCC, happy and healthy!
03/10/17: Diagnosis of Tongue Cancer
03/20/17: 9 hour surgery, Hemi-glossectomy, radial forearm free flap, femur skin graft
05/01/17: Radiation 6 weeks
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Im very sorry I missed your post!!!

A swollen lymph node could be a sign of an infection or other illness. It could also be related to treatments. Hopefully this is not cancerous and is something minor. Wishing you all the best with this. Please let us know how you make out.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Hi Christine,

Happy new year! It has taken me so long to get back on here and reply because I had so many unknowns. I initially posted about a lump/bump post radiation. After antibiotics, a needle biopsy, MRI and PET scan we discovered that my submandicular gland is the issue. However, we still don't know exactly what is going on but I have a big bump on my neck in this area that is tender to touch and painful (cranial nerve 7 is involved in this gland) so the whole area hurts. After 5 months of trying antibiotics and test I am going to have surgery next Friday. I had 30 treatments of radiation on my head and neck, including this area. Just wondering, have you heard of anyone having issues like this post radiation? My doc is going to take a biopsy next week. She will either stop surgery if it is cancer, or take the gland out or just do the biopsy. It is kind of unclear what the issue is so therefore after surgery I am not sure what exactly is going to happen. I appreciate you responding to my initial post. How are you doing? I hope all is healthy and well with you! Thank you!!!

03/20/17: 9 hour surgery, Hemi-glossectomy, radial forearm free flap, femur skin graft

Over the years Ive seen all kinds of patients go thru a wide variety of things after being diagnosed with OC. You just never know what can happen. We all have a huge fear of having a recurrence. That probably is part of why we all get so nervous when something unusual pops up. At least after going thru OC once, you have learned to not let anything go.

The only unusual thing I see in your situation is 5 months of antibiotics. Thats a very long time! Im sure you are happy you wont need to take those anymore.

It sounds like your doc is on top of this. Im sure when they get in there during surgery they will be able to know so much more info. Im hoping its just scar tissue.

Best wishes with everything!!!! Hopefully its nothing serious and you will have answers and a speedy recovery.

PS... Im ok, no complaints here. Wishing you a happy and healthy new year smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thank you so much for your quick reply! Yes, fingers crossed it is scar tissue which we know can be very common after radiation. You are right, there is definitely the fear factor that comes up when the word biopsy is used because it reminds us of what we already went through. I will let you know how it goes! Yes one would think a total of 45 days of on and off antibiotics within the past 5 months would kill any infection. Glad all is well with you! Best : )

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users