Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#195167 09-30-2017 02:49 PM
OP Offline

Im afraid i may have contracted something from a certain partner back a few months ago and now have a persisting sore throat that wont go away and both tonsils look inflamed and infected of some from. Im pretty sure its HPV as some bumps started to appear in the back of my throat. Im also scared i may have passed this to someone else ive kissed. After all std rest results came back negative and doctors dismmised my throat as some normal infection. So you are not alone i have revisit with the doctor ina few days since i have more proof it may be hov since ive had a few other grown skin show up around my body
Take care.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I have moved your post to its own thread to enable you to get your own replies and ask your own questions.

The symptoms you described could be from any number of other causes, none of them as serious as cancer. First... HPV and its hundreds of strains are still being researched (which OCF has helped to fund since the early days). In fact, OCF has helped to bring about much of what we know today about HPV. This little known about virus is much more common than most people realize. The CDC reports at least 75 percent of the reproductive-age population in the US has been exposed to the sexually transmitted HPV. Its usually harmless being cleared by most healthy adults with no ill effects. Only a very small percentage have the strains of number 16 or 18 which cause about 70% of HPV+ cancer. Of those diagnosed with OC caused by HPV, HPV usually lays dormant for many years showing no symptoms at all. That said, its doubtful HPV would already showing itself if you were exposed to it only a few months ago. Most adults who have HPV will clear it from their system within 2 years without ever knowing it was there. In others, 10/20+ years after exposure they may have the HPV develop into anal, penile, cervical, oral cancer or genital warts. Most HPV+ OC patients will not have symptoms until they are Stage IV which is why oral cancer screenings are so important. Even though HPV is a STD, contracting HPV from kissing is not a common occurrence. Along with the most dangerous strains of 16 and 18 are other the bad strains numbered 6 and 11, they most commonly are found in HPV+ genital warts. If you would have HPV, Im not sure it causes growths in other parts of your body besides in your throat.

Currently there is no test given to check for only HPV. At this time for women HPV shows up on their papsmear, no test is available for men yet. Being checked for STD's will NOT uncover if you have HPV. Tissue taken in a biopsy (or surgery) can be tested to determine if it was caused by HPV. One other thing... if you have not yet had the Guardisil shot and are under 26 years old, I suggest getting the vaccine right away. Now its only 2 shots (originally it was 3 shots, each shot was given 3 months apart). Research is being done to see if the shots can help those already exposed. Both boys and girls ages 11 or 12 thru age 26 should get the Guardasil shots. The earlier the shots are started the better chance they can protect against the STD, HPV.

Any sore someone has in their mouth or throat that does not resolve itself on its own within 2-3 weeks should be checked by a professional. You would want to seek out an ENT (ear, nose and throat doc) who specializes in treating oral cancer patients. You do NOT want an ENT who mainly puts tubes in young childrens ears. Oral cancer is not that common, many dentists and family physicians have not ever seen an OC tumor. There could be many different spots or sores that can pop up from time to time in the mouth, most of them are not serious and are easily treated.

Good luck with your appointments!!! Hopefully what you have going on is nothing serious and you will not need our help.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma