Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hello, I am curious as to what options there are for replacing my friends jaw. He had squamous cell carcinoma that took his jawbone and left him with additional cancer, they went in to remove what they thought was the only lump and found three. They were able to remove 2 but had to leave one because of its close proximity to his Internal Jugular, he has exhausted his radiation and chemo options, The questions I have, are what are ALL the options for treatment besides Immuno-therapy? The doctors make it sound like it's his last choice... We live in a medicinal Marijuana state, does cbd oil do anything for throat cancer?. Also, Titanium replacement didn't work for his jaw, it protruded from his cheek too much and they had to remove it, I know about cadaver bones and using the Tibia. Are there any other options for jaw bone replacement? I have been looking... the hard part is he won't find out the name of the cancer in his throat until sometime next week. Please help, I have been looking throughout the internet and this is the first place I found where I can speak to people who are also going through similar scenarios. Bless you all, and thank you for taking the time necessary to read this.

Sincerely, Shickaka

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF!

The only scientifically proven ways to eliminate SCC is the surgery or radiation with or without chemo. By itself chemo may shrink tumors but they will not completely kill the cancer. The new immunotherapy chemos (Keytruda/Opdivo) unfortunately dont work for every situation. At this time oils of any kind have not been shown to be anything helpful. It sounds like you have done your research. You already mentioned the 3 things used to replace a jaw. Some patients are not able to use any of those methods and are left without a portion of their jaw making eating and other daily functions a big challenge. Its not easy but I lost 1/2 my lower jaw 8 years ago and Im doing ok (we all have some ailments after fighting cancer) so it can be done.

Best wishes to your friend!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy