Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#194669 06-18-2017 05:21 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I am 3 weeks out of treatments, still tube feeding and doing sips of water. Throat pain is about an 7-8. Will this pain dissipate? The sips of water are a struggle... so my question is from all your previous experiences, when will I be able to eat?

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Al, since you are 3 weeks post rads you should begin to notice small improvements here and there. I know its not easy trying to eat when food tastes like salty burnt cardboard. It really will get better very soon. Most patients feel the very worst of the entire ordeal the first 2-3 weeks post rads. Once they get past the 2-3 week hump, one day out of the blue you will wake up feeling a little better. Then you will begin to notice more and more improvements the further out from finishing rads you get. Recovery is a very long process with many ups and downs with a couple setbacks thrown into the mix. To be completely well again it will take an entire 2 years for your body to rebuild itself for a full recovery. Dont dispair!!!! I know it sounds like you have a long way to go until you are well again. As you slowly begin to feel a little better every week that passes, you will notice more and more things you are able to eat. Foods do not taste like they should or even what you would expect them to taste like. This plays a huge part in being able to eat again. Keep trying foods that are not spicy, salty, crunchy or difficult to eat plus pay attention to texture, that plays a huge role in what is edible and what isnt. I found cream of wheat, canned peaches, low salt canned chicken noodle soup to be some of the easiest first foods along with ice cold yoo-hoo. Most patients are able to get a few things down about 6 week post rads with constant steady progress, after 10-12 weeks post rads you should be doing relatively well compared to where you are right now. By the time you are 6 months post rads, your sense of taste will be much better and you will be eating many different foods than you currently are able to eat. Everybody is on their own unique timeline and will get better at their own pace. The better you can keep up with making your daily intake minimum numbers or higher the faster you will be able to eat better. Every single day take in 2500-3500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. Pay attention to things you have control over and keep trying new foods. Some food may taste bad today but next week or the week after you may have a hint of flavor and find that same food tastes so much more like what you think it should. Dont get discouraged if after the first bite or 2 of tasting something that it loses its flavor with subsequent bites.

Best wishes with your continued recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma