Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Wednesday biospy?

I know I should go to see the dentist earlier to have the red patch checked. I noticed it for two to three months at that time my mom just been diagnosed with breast cancer. I was so depressed that I just ignored it. In April I went to see my dentist to have this check and she said it is nothing serious. I feeled relieve at that time but still concerned. One day I googled something online and noticed there is oral I'd to screen oral cancer. So I went to see that dentist and she used oral id to check the patch and it did show some abnormality. She thought it was caused by irration of the retainer. But two weeks later it is still red. She referred me to see an oral surgeon for biospy. It is next Wednesday. Should I also go to see an ent? Because I also feeled a pea sea lymp node on the side of my neck . I am so scared that the cancer is already spreaded to the lymph node. I should be able to get an appointment before the biospy. The dentist said the oral id can not tell the benign tumor from malignant.

Last edited by Princesstwinkle; 05-09-2017 01:10 PM.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Let me explain about Oral ID. This is a device that identifies any abnormality in a patients mouth. Thats all it does, is light up to point out different tissue that MIGHT be cancer or some other mouth sore. There are many, many things it could be besides cancer. This is something you should remember to always do... Any time you have a sore or spot in your mouth that does not heal on its own within 2-3 weeks needs to be checked by a professional. By a professional I mean an ENT who specializes in treating oral cancer patients (NOT the type of ENT who puts tubes in kids ears).

A dentist doesnt usually do much to diagnose oral cancer. They often are focused only on the patients teeth, not seeing anything else. The best place to go as I mentioned before is the OC specializing ENT. An oral surgeon might be able to help if you find the right type. You dont want someone who primarily pulls wisdom teeth or treats TMJ patients. Same as the ENT... you need someone who specializes in treating oral cancer patients. With oral surgeons... they cut as all surgeons recommend and do. Once its removed, you can never put it back and start over. The tissue is then sent to the lab to determine what it is. If it would be cancer you may need additional surgery or radiation to ensure not one teeny tiny cell was missed. Maybe having a diagnosis of what it is before surgery would be a good idea. Theres a fine needle biopsy that could be done without anyone removing something they dont have no idea what it is.

All of this in no way means I think you do have cancer so please dont think too far into what Im saying. To me it sounds like something isnt right but the node may or may not be related. An enlarged node could simply mean you have some sort of infection causing it to swell. Its doubtful you can get an appointment with the type of ENT you need in only one week. OC ENTs are often booked up for weeks, even months ahead. Even if you are put on the "cancellation list" it could be a month before you can get in. Even if it would be cancer (key word ... IF) and the node is also affected, this does not necessarily mean you cant be completely cured and go on to live a wonderful long, happy, healthy life. Today, cancer can be survivable and eliminated.

If you smoke, vape, chew, drink alcohol or use mouthwash with alcohol in it.... stop using those things immediately! If what you have going on is a result from some kind of external chemicals then by eliminating the contact with the chemicals should allow your mouth time to heal. If your mouth does heal then you may want to see your family doc to see if the node is a result of some sort of infection. Never know! Just make sure you find out exactly whats going on with your mouth and the node and if they are related.

I hope all this info is useful and able to help you. Please keep us posted and updated with your progress. hopefully what you have going on is nothing serious. Good luck!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thank you Christine.The ENT I saw before for a pea size lymph node at the collar bone is a head and cancer ENT at mass ear and eye. I remembered last time I got the appointment in two days. But I am not sure if he can do the biospy on the floor of mouth. He seems more specialized in nose and throat. I want to kick myself for ignoring this for months. The patch I have is on the floor of mouth closed to my molar and it is more red than the other area .it looks like a skin flap ,but my other side doesn't have the same skin flap.I am a 44years old female,never smoke , occasional wine drinker.What I am afraid most is that I cannot see my four years old daughter grow up. I am going to stick with the oral surgeon appointment.The receptionist suggest me to call everyday to see if there is any cancellation.

Ok, yes the ENT should be able to help you. It sounds like your ENT is the correct type, but is your oral surgeon? I would definitely see the ENT before allowing the oral surgeon to go in and remove it while also sending it out to the lab to determine what you have. You want to ensure whoever you select to do the biopsy is very, very familiar with the procedure and treating OC patients.

Try not to get too far ahead of yourself. As of right this minute, you have not been diagnosed with anything so as far as you or anyone else knows you are cancer free. Dont borrow trouble from tomorrow is a saying I heard a long time ago and it certainly seems appropriate in your circumstances. Take it one day and one step at a time. By focusing on the "what if's" that will only add unneeded stress which makes everything in your life more difficult. Staying busy will help pass the time until you know what you are dealing with. Having an active 4 year old, Im sure you can find many things to focus on. Go out with your child and have fun, make memories by trying new things together. It could be a few weeks before you know what the spot is. Once you find out what you have then you can take steps to fix whatever you have going on. Hopefully you will not have anything too serious and you wont need our group. But if (... and thats a huge IF!) it would be cancer then you are in the very best place to get extra help and support to get you thru anything that you need a hand with. We're here to help smile

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
OP Offline

Thank you Christine. I just made an appointment to see the head and neck cancer ENT. He will see me Friday morning. The last time I saw him for the swollen lymph node he ordered a CT.

Boy are you lucky to get such a quick appointment. Thats excellent!!! Keep us posted on how you make out.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
OP Offline

The receptionist was so nice. There is no opening available but she let me come in the early morning so the doctor can see me.

OP Offline

Can CT detect oral cancer? I think the Dr will order a CT at tomorrow's appointment just like the last time I feeled a pea size lymph node around the collar bone.

Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Yes, it will diagnose cancer.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
OP Offline

Thank you gmcraft! I lost some sleep during this week. I waste 3 months not doing anything. How fast will a malignant tumor grow? Mine is still the same as when I noticed it three months ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users