Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#194372 05-05-2017 02:59 AM
OP Offline

Hi,
I am a 49 year old male. Non Smoker, very occasional drinker , have used smokeless tobacco - but no more than once a day.

2 years ago I was having slight burning sensation in throat - I went to ENT, They had a look with small camera and said it was reflux. They gave me Nexium and it cleared up. Last week I was having a similar sensation and I went back to same ENT. Only very mild reflux this time - However he noted small Leukoplakia on right vocal cord.

He did say it was very mild and 99% chance its nothing however it could be precancerous or cancer.

The ENT said he doubts this is related to dipping. Nonetheless I am done , done, done with dipping.
I know so many on here are going through a rough time and I feel bad even being on here without knowing anything yet.
He wants me to come back in 3 weeks, to see if it improves or changes. I said if it changes then what, he said it can be removed by laser under GA.

I know ENT said 99% but from what I read around 20% of Leukoplakia turns out to be malignant.

I am freaked out. I have 3 young children and am sole bread winner and my voice is crucial for my job. The other thing making me freak out is my Mom about to start chemo for Small Cell Carcinoma colon cancer ,which is incredibly rare , especially in a non smoker . Her initial prognosis was good but its turned out to be stage 4 and highly aggressive. So dealing with that and now this.

So anything to do with cancer at this point has me highly stressed.

I realize most on here that have had leukoplakia will not be individuals that have had their leukoplakia resolve or been diagnosed with mild/medium dysplasia.
However any advice in dealing with this is welcome.

5/4/17 - Leukoplakia R Vocal Cord
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to our group! Over the years, we have had many patients come thru here with leukoplakia. Some are monitored and the doc checks them frequently to see if it changes and needs further examination. Very few with leukoplakia have it turn into cancer, but we do have some who are current, active OCF members. This illness can be very frustrating for patients. I cant imagine having something that might turn into cancer or it might not. Im a very black and white type of person who likes to know exactly whats happening instead of what might happen. Hopefully you will be someone who is able to lead a long, happy, healthy life with that little "spot" that never changes and is non-cancerous. Do your very best with trying to stay busy and avoid the "what if" thinking. Its not in your control to change the situation but you do have control over how you feel about it. Stress is NOT at all healthy or productive for any patient. I hope you can overcome being overly stressed about the "spot". Maybe this will help alittle. Our saying around here is..... "Its only a spot until the biopsy says its not". Have any of the doctors asked you about having it biopsied? Thats the only way to know for certain exactly what it is. Even the most experienced doctors arent able to tell visually if something is cancerous or not, they can have a good guess but in the end its only a guess.

Im very glad to hear you are not continuing to use dip or any form of tobacco. Even the new e-cigs have been scientifically proven to be harmful and that is with the manufacturers claiming they are completely safe. Do yourself a huge favor and continue to be tobacco free for the rest of your life. I am a former smoker who has suffered greatly due to my smoking. When I quit, I did it to hopefully save my life and luckily it worked.

Im sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she is being treated by top notch professionals who will help her get thru this as easy as possible.

Ive enclose a link to our main OCF site to read more info about leukoplakia. Best wishes with everything!

Main OCF Site --- Leukoplakia

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply. I decided to seek a second opinion on Saturday. This ENT was very patient and kind. He initially said just listening to my voice he was not overly concerned. At any rate they took a look with camera down my nose. He feels that the spot is a node and not leukoplakia as he sees something similar although even smaller on the opposite side on left vocal chord. Its also in the area most consistent with vocal abuse ( I coach youth sports every weekend and yell a lot so I guess that makes sense) Also the overall health of the vocal chord seems fine. So I am relieved and at the same time confused. This ENT suggested a follow up at 6 weeks.
I asked about biopsy but he said its so small if he were to go that route he would just remove it- however that comes with its own risks in terms of affecting my voice. Given that my job is in sales and I depend on my voice , I don't want to do something unnecessarily but certainly don't want to be that person that could have done something and did not. But as 2 ENTs now have advised to just wait and see -perhaps that is what I need to do.

In my follow up I will ask about the possibility of fine needle aspiration biopsy.

In terms of dipping - or any tobacco . I am so done. I never said I quit before but mean it with all my heart.

Lastly - I have read so many threads here the past few days and my heart pours out to all going through cancer and this sight is a lifeline for so many.

Best wishes to all

5/4/17 - Leukoplakia R Vocal Cord
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

To wait and see is good. Stay vigilant but go back to enjoying life. Best wishes to you, too.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23