Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#194354 05-03-2017 05:38 PM
OP Offline

Hello,
I do not have an Oral Cancer diagnosis at this point. I am at my witts end. My "mystery illness" began in February with an awful sore throat and hoarseness. I have had numerous doctors visits, have been on several antibiotics as well as prednisone. I won't bore you with all the specifics of what each medical provider "thought" I had. At any rate, I have also had a head/neck MRI which revealed thyroid nodules. ENT sent me for ultrasound guided biopsy which came back negative. Primary care doctor then sent me for a chest CT as she is now "concerned" something "bad" could be going on due to my previous and family history of Melenoma. Got the results of chest CT today which were normal. The next step she would like me to do is have an abdominal/pelvic CT.
Why am I in THIS forum you wonder.....well, my voice is still hoarse, since February i have had my "normal" voice for 1 week. I do have some red spots on the side of my tongue...they are light, but there. My submandibular gland has been killing me through this whole ordeal. My ear on the same side has also been painful throughout this as well. The reason the head/neck MRI was ordered was because the side of my face was numb/tingly. This has continued as well. Today it feels like something is draining from my tongue and making my mouth taste awful. I do not have any lumps/bumps on the floor of my mouth.
I am concerned about cancer of the tongue. I would appreciate any an all suggestions/opinions/recommendations.
Thanks in Advance

MrsSmitty
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF, Mrs Smitty. I hope you do not have a need for our services!. My suggestion would be to go to an ENT who specializes in treating oral cancer patients. You do not want to get an ENT who primarily puts tubes in kids ears as they wouldnt have the correct training to recognize your symptoms could mean you do have something serious going on.

Another idea would be to do a search and maybe you will get lucky to find a dental office who is still doing free oral cancer screenings. April is oral cancer awareness month and OCF recruits hundreds of dental offices all over the US to provide free screenings. Heres our search event page.

Best wishes with everything!!!

OCF Main Site --- Events

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thank you for your response, ChristineB.
Do you have any recommendations of how to find an ENT who specializes?

MrsSmitty

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics