Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Best wishes with everything, Camille! I hope everything goes as planned and you will be soon cancer free. Please update us when you can.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Camille Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Thank you so much Christine for all your advice and kindness​ shown to not only me but to everyone on here. I am trying to not stress and remain positive. Have to be at the hospital at 2 so trying to not stress too much Can't have anything to eat or drink so of course this is when. I am the most thirsty. Did spend the last week eating as much as I could lol. Just ready to get this over with because the last week or so I have had a lot of pain. In my ear and neck or throat which has made it hard to sleep at night. Guess I will know ow more after surgery if this is going to require radiation or chemo. Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers

February 2017 saw 2 different dentist for ulcer on tongue. Was told by both it was a bite
March 10 biopsy done by oral surgeon
March 17 biopsy results are keratanizing squamous cell carcinoma
May 3 partial glossectomy and right modified radical neck dissection
May 8 post op appt. given news in surgery 34 nodes removed from neck, 1 with cancer but still encapsulated and had not spread
drainage tube out and feeling pretty good!
May 26 appt. with radiation oncologist- No rads needed

Camille,
I hope everything went well for you this week.
I am so glad I came across your post. I will be seeing an Oral Surgeon on Tuesday to have him evaluate an area on my tongue. Like you, I have been dealing with a chronic sore throat, ear and neck pain since February. I have seen 2 ENTs as well as my regular doctor. I did have a head/neck MRI which revealed thyroid "nodules' which subsequently came back negative. I know something is not right, as my voice has also been hoarse this whole time as well.
I will be looking forward to your update and pray your surgery went well!

MrsSmitty
Camille Offline OP
OP Offline

Dear MrsSmitty, Christine, and everyone who has been so kind to reply and send positive thoughts and prayers,
I am relieved to say the surgery is now behind me. Monday was very stressful because at my pre op appointment I still did not know if my insurance company was going to reverse the denial for my surgery My doctor was livid about them denying it but once they found out the pet scan showed a suspicious node in my neck and he added on the neck dissection, they then approved it. That was just so unreal hearing it was denied.

I had my surgery Wednesday afternoon at 4:30 and it took about 3 a day half hours. My doctor said he got all the cancer out of the tongue and it had clear borders and he was able to stitch my tongue up saving my nerves and most all of my tongue. He said the one node was a really ugly, hard mass and he was glad he got that out and took additional lymph nodes and a wide margin I hopes he got it all. They kept me overnight in the hospital and I was released Thursday afternoon . I have a drainage tube in my neck which will be removed at y post op appointment on Monday and boy will I be glad to get rid of that. It is uncomfortable and makes it hard to sleep comfortably.

My tongue feels very big but I guess that is par for the course and neck is swollen. The weird thing is my ear on that side feels very late though it isn't so I am guessing it is nerves I have been able to eat soup jello, pudding etc and I have pain mess so all in all I am hanging in there. Guess I will find out on Monday if additional treatment is needed. Right now just thank goodness the surgery is behind me Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers MrsSmitty that you get good news. You are doing the right thing by not ignoring it.

February 2017 saw 2 different dentist for ulcer on tongue. Was told by both it was a bite
May 8 post op appt. given news in surgery 34 nodes removed from neck, 1 with cancer but still encapsulated and had not spread

Wow!!!! Sounds to me like you are doing very well with your recovery. Im so glad to hear the surgery went as planned and your doctor says he got clear margins. Hopefully this will be all the treatment you need and you can get back to living life smile You are doing great with being able to eat. Im sure its not the easiest thing to do and must be uncomfortable, you are definitely a trooper!

Keep us posted on your progress and upcoming appointment.

Best wishes with your continued recovery!!!

PS... Im not sure what you mean about your ear feeling "late"???

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Camille Offline OP
OP Offline

Christine. I should not try to type on pain meds clearly lol. I meant to type my ear on that side feels really large ad very numb. Thank you for your kindness and concern I keep telling myself one day at a time and every day gone by is another day behind me! Just can't wait to get this tube out.

Ok, now I understand it! One day, you will look back on this and laugh. smile

Numbness is from the swelling. You may have numbness for a few days but dont be surprised if it hangs around for several weeks, even months as swelling can take a very long time to be gone completely. Weeks late, you may appear that you are back to normal but inside there could still be swelling you cant easily see for a very long time.

To me, you sound like you are doing very well. Im sure you have some pain and discomfort. Those drain tubes can be so annoying! But they are actually doing a good thing by removing all the fluid build up.

Hang in there and best wishes with your upcoming appointment!

PA... When you have a few minutes and feel well enough please review the link I sent you in a private message (PM) and add your signature. It will greatly help us to help you. The detailed instructions are also listed in the very first post titled Posting Etiquette in the New Here, Read This First section. Thank you! I hope you have an easy day today.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years

Camille,
I am so glad surgery went well. Hopefully tomorrow you get good news as well!
Like you said...one day at a time. I will be following for sure!
Take care of yourself and listen to your body!

MrsSmitty
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Very happy to read that your surgery went well! I have surgery this coming Tuesday.
I can only imagine how stressful the insurance nonsense was. Best wishes for speedy healing!

Keep fighting friends!

Me -- currently 53 years old
SCC diagnosed 3/7/2017 at age 48
Staging SCC HPV+ T0,N1 primary unknown
PET 3/16, no activity, biopsies 3/23 benign
TORS surgery identified 2mm tumor in BOT (vallecula)
Cancer restaged T1, N2, M0
Begin 30 sessions of radiation (60 Gy) 6/13
Completed radiation 7/24/2017
1st MRI clear 10/23/2017!!
2nd MRI clear 10/17/2018!
Camille Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello everyone,
I had my post op appointment yesterday and just wanted to give a update. All I can say is I feel so fortunate! My doctor said he got all the cancer from my tongue with clear borders so no more cancer there at all. He took 34 lymph nodes out of my neck and 1 node was a very hard, ugly, cancerous mass measuring about 1 centimeter but the node was still totally encapsulated so the cancer did not spread and he was able to remove the node totally intact. All of the other nodes were negative. He removed the drain tube from my neck and that was such a relief to get that out. I was actually able to sleep for a full night last night since last Tuesday. He downgraded my cancer from stage 3 to stage 2 since there was no spread. I will be seeing a radiation oncologist within the next 2-3 weeks because my doctor just wants him to go over my file and confer that at this time he agrees with him that nothing further is needed. I will see my doctor every 3 months from now on. My neck is still very sore as is my tongue but it is getting better every day and I am starting to eat more each day. Today is my first day back at work and it just feels so good to feel somewhat normal again. My speech is still a little slurry on some words and my neck and right side of my face are still numb and swollen but I can live with that. Each day is a joy and i will take it one day at a time and be grateful for every day. Thank you to all the very special people here for your kind thoughts, prayers, and concern, and just know you are all in my thoughts each and every day.

Camille

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users