Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
paul h Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm new to posting. I know nothing about what I have other than mixed reports online of how this is high-risk for cancer, and others which say it only causes lesions/warts inside the mouth. I was foolish and unfaithful and gave my wife chlamydia about 9 weeks ago, around the same time this sore throat started, and I may have also given her HPV as well.

I'm stressed, scared, about to lose the one person who should have made me think twice before being stupid, and more than once. I truly do love her and would love to make my relationship work, but now the only chance I feel I have is if my body can somehow overcome this within the next two years. I had a chance to live a decent life, but was so depressed and self involved in pity, that I ended up cheating, and here's where it's gotten me.

I don't know of any stories like mine where someone could tell me their symptoms resolved on their own or not, or how long it took if it did. I'm afraid to kiss my wife even if she wanted me to, or have sex with her.

I've broken my own heart in breaking hers, and I don't want anyone else in this world but her. It's hard for her to hear that since I've messed up with others during our over 11 years together, but I know in my heart I've never stopped loving her. I've stopped loving myself. And as a result, I didn't just put myself at risk, I put her at risk as well without thinking.

I've been very very depressed lately, and this nagging sore throat and single swollen tonsil hasn't gone away for over 9 weeks since it first made it's debut. Is there anyone else out there who is dealing with this or has? I'm afraid it may be cancerous even though I've seen countless ENT's who've dismissed it as a simple viral infection prior to my doctor calling me while next to my wife three nights ago and revealing my throat was positive for "high cancer-risk hpv53".

I know it doesn't mean I had gotten it from the recent girl I'd been with, but I'm guessing it was since all this happened at exactly the same time. It all started with my losing my voice easily, then the tonsil swelled on my left side. I don't really have anyone to talk to about all this. And if life took me and not my wife, well I'd just be happy if she ends up testing negative for this. So far, I don't know what to do or who to turn to for more answers. My doctor just said we'll keep an eye on your throat every three months. Seems dismissive to me.

Paul H.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF, Paul. Our site helps oral cancer patients and caregivers with info and support. Im not sure if you will find anyone here who is dealing with a similar situation as you.

OCF has helped bring about much of the research on what we know today about HPV. You have written about HPV and being a high risk strain. While HPV is much more common than most people realize, it usually is harmless being cleared by most healthy adults with no ill effects. Only a very small percentage have the strains of 16 or 18 which cause about 70% of HPV+ cancer. Even with being diagnosed with the "bad" strains, its still is very low odds it will develop into cancer. It can lay dormant for many years. Some people will clear it from their system. Others 10/20+ years later can have it develop into anal, penile, cervical, oral cancer or genital warts. Most HPV+ OC patients will not have symptoms until they are Stage IV which is why oral cancer screenings are so important. Unless this is a brand new development I have not heard of yet, the strain you mentioned is not high risk for HPV+ oral cancer. Along with the most dangerous strains of 16 and 18 are other bad strains of 6 and 11 which most commonly are found in HPV+ genital warts.

There is no officially approved HPV tests for men at this time. Women are able to be tested for HPV when doing their pap test but for men such tissue samples are not collected or tested. I am curious how your physician tested you and confirmed your HPV strain?

I suggest several things that should help you. First educate yourself about HPV thru reliable sources (NOT Dr Google!)(Ive included a HPV info link), seek counseling (possibly adding some anxiety meds) to help with your depression, have a long talk with a physician who is well educated with the latest on HPV.

Best wishes with everything!

Main OCF stie --- The HPV Connection

PS... For men or women 13- 26 years old, the Guardisil series of 2 shots (used to be 3) will protect against the cancer causing strains of HPV. This vaccine can help eliminate HPV+ cancer from ever occurring. Studies are being conducted to determine if the vaccine will help older adults or those already exposed to HPV.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma