Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#193892 02-17-2017 08:17 AM
Samar Offline OP
OP Offline

Yesterday my oral surgeon called to let me know my biopsy was back, diagnosed as Squamous Cell Carcinoma. He mentioned something about it being 'well differentiated'. I have had a long history of tobacco use and about 6 months ago, I developed lesions on my left cheek and behind the upper lip (left corner). For 4 months, I was seeing a different oral surgeon who was treating this as candida but obviously never improved. I saw another oral surgeon who recommended the biopsy. It took 2 weeks to get approval to see the new oral surgeon, another 2 weeks to get the authorization for the biopsy. Now I am waiting for the authorization to see a head and neck surgeon. (yes, HMO). I'm just wondering if the long delay has caused it to spread a bit. Any way, thanks for listening. And I'm so glad I found you.

Samar

Last edited by Samar; 02-17-2017 08:18 AM.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF, Samar! Im very sorry you have a need to use our site. We will help you with info and support you before, during and after treatment. Best thing to do is to look forward. Dont sweat anything you did in the past as its not possible to go back and change anything.

Im wondering about your tobacco use. Have you quit using tobacco (in all forms) yet? If not please do your best to wrap your head around eliminating it from your life forever. I was a smoker too. The light bulb finally went on for me as I drove to get my feeding tube consult. I was so repulsed at the idea of having a feeding tube and it dawned on me I had created the entire situation. I got so mad at myself for putting my childrens futures in jeopardy. I looked over at my 17 year old son and said .... "Thats it, I quit!!! I will never smoke again!". I then threw the entire pack of cigs right out the window as I drove. Im not a litterbug either so that move was fueled by my anger at what I had done. Ive been successfully tobacco free for almost 10 years now and I still remember that incident like it was yesterday. Im telling it to you to encourage you to quit like I did. I smoked for 25+ years and quit cold turkey. If I can then I know you can too smile

Good luck!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Samar Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you your reply, Christine. Means a lot to me. Yes I have quit. In all forms. That was only 2 months back. Never, ever again! After reading your signature, I'll be happy to be half as strong as you.

Im sure you are much stronger than you think. If I can do it anybody can. We will help you get thru this.

Congrats on quitting smoking. Its not easy but you did the right thing.

PS... Ive sent you a link that includes how to add a signature. Click on the tiny flashing envelope next to the My Stuff tab.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Samar

Delays in diagnosis can result in cells moving to other areas as well as initial site tumor growth. Probably not the best thing to think about right now.

More important is to not beat yourself up for using tobacco products and ending up where you are now. (It's great that you stopped and that you have not faltered. My father-in-law was dying of lung cancer and still could not stop.)

Now that you have the diagnosis, the hard part starts.

Develop a strong support system of people to help you over the next few months. Dealing with the surgeries and treatments can be quite stressful without having to worry about paying bills, housekeeping, work, and life's other daily stresses.

Set an area aside at your house / apartment for comfort. Blankets / place for meds / pillows / etc.

Get familiar with your health plan coverage or have someone available that you can count on to handle any insurance issues

Head and Neck cancers tend to be aggressive and the surgeries and treatments required to become cancer free are extremely hard on the surrounding organs and soft tissue

Focus on becoming cancer free and set goals or milestones on how to achieve it.

I think most people on this site will acknowledge how important it is to be emotionally and mentally prepared for the steps required to rid yourself of cancer. Don't get caught up in the numbers or drama. This is your battle. Be as prepared as possible.

Good Luck

1997 SCC Tumor on tongue - Partial Gloss
1997 Met to Lymph
Radical Neck Dissection / 2nd Partial Gloss
6 weeks chemo and radiation
Brachytherapy
2011 Stroke
2014 Recurrence SCC at Base of Tongue / Hemi-gloss
Free Flap reconstr from thigh
PEG Tube
Radiation
Permanent Issues with speech and swallowing
2018 - Bleeding throat / mouth
2019 - Bleeding throat / mouth
2019 - 3rd diag Cancer SCC Base of mouth / jawbone
2019 - Aug remove portion of jaw / right pec det / free flap closure and tongue

Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Samar,

Welcome to the forum although I'm sorry that that you have the need to join this circle of friends.

Both Christine and bjmpittsburgh have given you good advice, particularly what Was said about becoming familiar with your insurance coverage. Do you have a family member or friend who can support you when you go for doctor's appointments and treatment? These visits to the hospital can often be overwhelming to the patient, so having another person by who can take notes or prepare a list of questions you may have together with you and to remind you to ask them can be very helpful. You haven't seen the head and neck oncologist yet, so there's still time to make these arrangements.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Samar Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all for your advice and support. Yes, my wife will be by my side as she has always been from the time I met her. The hardest part is waiting for the referral to the Head and Neck surgeon. I'm hoping on Monday. Then scheduling the appointment. Stomach is all in knots.

Samir,

I'm sorry you had to join this site, but welcome, and see you've already been given sound advise. Waiting is the worst, and hope you get your ENT appointment soon!

Right now, everything is still to be clinically defined, even location of the primary tumor, but it sounds like oral, and the staging by TNM grading system. Primary Tumor size, involvement (T), number of Nodes involved, dimension (N) and Distant Metastases (M), and other factors, helps guide your treatment plan.

To help with this, your ENT may do a visual. palpable and fiber optic exam. There are other tests as part of the work-up like CT, MRI or PET scan, endoscope under anesthesia, to see if other areas are involved, such as the lymph nodes (N), synchronous or metachachromous cancer, distant metastases (M).

Some CCC's like to do their own biopsy, pathology themselves and or review the original slides. "Well Differentiated" is the Tumor Grade, which shows how aggressive a cancer is. On a positive note, it's better to have it "Well Differentiated", G1, the lowest grade, but I don't believe that changes the type of treatment your team will decide. In cases of HPV oropharyngeal cancer (tonsils, base of tongue), then it's a good thing to be Poorly Differentiated, G3 high grade, and most are.

For SCC, Squamous Cell Carcinoma treatment, and depending on a number of factors, it can be only surgery, radiation, chemoradiation or a combination thereof.

I recommend everyone keep a record of all pathology, scan reports, CD discs, surgery reports for future reference, and for any 2nd or 3rd opinions, which I've sometimes done.

If you care to read further, more information is on the OCF pages.

Good luck!

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Samar Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello. I had my surgery on April 3. I don't know if I have the right terminology but it reads like this: 'Excision of carcinoma to left buccal region. I had this done at the USC Keck Medical Hospital. My frustration is (mostly on me) I didn't ask enough questions and unfortunately wan't told what to expect post-op. briefly, after a 6 hour surgery I woke up the following day in ICU. The left side of my face was huge. Left arm was bandaged as the skin was taken for the flap in my left cheek. And skin was removed from my thigh and grafted to my arm. I was cut from the center of my lower lip, down and toward my ear.

It's been a little over 6 weeks. I am rather despondent as the flap in my mouth has not shrunk even a tiny bit. It's pretty much taken over the left side of the mouth and at times tends to protrude just a bit. The swelling along the jaw and below the chin had gone down about 20-30%. I'm also going to lymphedema and speech therapy once a week although I don't think my speech as changed much (I'm told). I'm told it could take months for the swelling to comedown and perhaps longer for the flap to reduce and debulk. I have started eating from the right side of the mouth (not a pretty sight) and the G-tube should be removed next week.

Is all this normal? Am I worrying too much? They tell me it will be a new normal. I wish I know what exactly that meant. And by the way, there was no radiation or chemo done. Except for the face and cheek area, I have no other problems. I just wish to have a fairly normal life...go out to eat, travel, socialize. I realize I'll never get my old life back but close enough will be great.

Thank you for your time. Any advice and opinions will be invaluable.

Samar Im very sorry to read about what you have been thru. By spending time reading thru posts and also on the main OCF site, you will learn about your illness and become a stronger advocate. This will also help you with what questions to ask your physician about your recovery.

When I was going thru rads, I kept hearing "new normal" on many replies. Eventually I finally learned exactly what that term meant. Everyone has their own unique reactions to treatments, medications, recovery, etc. The new normal is whats left after going thru treatment and recovery phases. Its the new and improved person after they have recovered. The new normal may have some long lasting side effects but they are as well as they can be and as close as they are able to be to their old lives. Im sure in time you will get to your new normal and begin to accept the changes you have been thru. Hang in there! Your new normal is many months ahead at the time when you have made many more advances in your recovery.

Being 6 weeks post surgery, you still have a long way to go with your recovery. The majority of patients will have most of their swelling go down by 2 or 3 months post op. For a complete recovery, the inflammation continues to slowly recede months down the road. Adding high protein whey powder to your diet helps to speed the healing, get your doc to ok adding this. Down the road you can get your surgeon to do some reconstruction to help make your tongue more comfortable. Usually the reconstruction is done after waiting to the one year mark post surgery, but some surgeons will do some minor tweaking 3+ months post surgery. You may benefit from having a speech pathologist work with you, they can do wonders with helping patients who have had your type of surgery.

Hope this helps you to feel a little more positive. You will improve it just takes time. Best wishes with your continued recovery.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years

Your new normal is what you make of it. Look at the positives. Your cancer free. You can still chew and swallow and your speech hasn't been impacted to much. The swelling will go down. it takes time and that's something you now have. Look around the next time your back in the hospital or doctors office for follow up appointments. There are many people in the oral cancer world that would give anything to be as well as you. Remember that and be thankful for the life you have.

1997 SCC Tumor on tongue - Partial Gloss
1997 Met to Lymph
Radical Neck Dissection / 2nd Partial Gloss
6 weeks chemo and radiation
Brachytherapy
2011 Stroke
2014 Recurrence SCC at Base of Tongue / Hemi-gloss
Free Flap reconstr from thigh
PEG Tube
Radiation
Permanent Issues with speech and swallowing
2018 - Bleeding throat / mouth
2019 - Bleeding throat / mouth
2019 - 3rd diag Cancer SCC Base of mouth / jawbone
2019 - Aug remove portion of jaw / right pec det / free flap closure and tongue

Samar Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement! I do seem to get rather impatient. I agree, 6 weeks is really not long enough, specially after this kind of surgery. Will hang in there and be positive. I'm sure attitude and state of mind affect recovery as well.

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I hope all is going well for you ,Samar.

04/21/17 Biopsy at ENT
04/25/17 Biopsy result SCC on left side tongue
04/27/17 CT Scans--shows shallow tumor
05/02/17 Pre-op
05/03/17 Surgery to remove tumor
05/08/17 Cancer still present
05/10/17 2nd surgery-
06/05/17 PET on 6th, RADS start on 06/20/17
07/11/17 Halfway point!
08/01/17 Last treatment
11/1/17 Cancer is back
11/15/17 Emory University surgery. neck dissection, left lymph nodes removed, tongue free flap from left arm with skin graft.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics