Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#193841 02-04-2017 06:05 AM
jeff d Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, my name is Jeff, I was diagnosed yesterday with cancer of the tongue, well I guess the diagnosis is not official until the lab work comes back but the doctor told me it very very probable that I have a tumor on top of my tongue, way in the back and it has spread to lymph nodes in the neck.

The reason i went to the doctor at all was to have what I thought was a swollen lymph node looked at, 14 tests later and here i am. I am pretty much in a daze right now, of course reading all of the scary stuff on the internet.

My story that I live in Japan, and the diagnosis was done by Japanese doctors in a hospital in Tokyo. I have had this lump on my neck for a very long time, much more than a year and like an idiot i just keep thinking it would resolve itself.

I am flying to Dallas as I type this, on business. I may or may not see an American doctor. Trying to decide what to do next, where to do the treatment, quit working, pretty confused right now. I have a meeting with my Japanese doctors on the 16th, they are referring me to an oncology hospital.

So thanks all for reading my little story, I am glad to of found this site, everyone seems very nice and very brave.

Jeff D
jeff d #193842 02-04-2017 07:16 AM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Jeff, welcome to OCF! Im sorry you have a need for our group. We will do our best to help you if your test turns out to show you have cancer. Hopefully it will be something less serious.

I can help if you have questions about treatments in the US. Im sorry but I do not know how the medical system works in other countries.

Try not to get too far ahead of yourself with fearing the worst possible outcome. As of this moment you have not been officially diagnosed. Until the biopsy says its cancer, its just a spot or lump. As a 3 time cancer survivor, I tend to lean towards positive thinking as much as I can. Take it step by step and one day at a time. Try avoiding Dr Google as much as possible. There you will find many horror stories that are hard to get our of your head once you read them. On our site, sure there are some scary things but you will always find reliable medical info and advice.

Best wishes with everything!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
jeff d Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Christine, for nice words, I will let you know the final lab work results in a few days, jd

Jeff D
jeff d #193845 02-04-2017 08:42 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Jeff and welcome. Just to echo Christine, your in a good spot here but your better off NOT surfing the net.

Hopefully your diagnosis is not cancer but if it is it's not the end of the world. I was diagnosed back in July 2016 and here I am talking to you 3 plus months out of treatment and cancer free. I still have side affects from the treatment but am back to living my life like before.

I have no idea where the Japanese are in cancer care but you do have plenty of options in Dallas. But don't get too far ahead of yourself.

This is a difficult disease but it is treatable and survival rates are very good. I think seeing a doctor why your stateside would be a wise decision. Going to a cancer center that specializes in head and neck cancer would probably be even smarter.

Best of luck and keep in touch with us.

Ed

Edward, 64 yrs
7/21/2016 Dx BOT stage 4 w additional tumors neck & left lymph node
8/15/2016 began Tmt EBT w Cesplatin 1x week for 8 wks.
Feeding tube and port.
10/17/2016 finished treatment. CT still shows tissue. Dr. Says 60% chance it is scar tissue.
01/13/2016 PET Scan shows no sign of cancer.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23