Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#193720 01-13-2017 05:31 AM
OP Offline

Hi and thanks in advance. Something like a couple of months ago I noticed a little lump (not Too hard but definitely not soft) on the right side of my palate like a little very little pea, so I went to the dentist but it had already gone by then, so he suggested it might have been a bit of food trapped or something causing it.Unfortunately, it came back again and I did notice that it would go smoother if I happpened to touch it or press it for some time (I only did this twice, I think). Then it would go away or nearly (very smooth hardly noticeable with tongue or finger) and become more noticeable at touch again. It never hurt or bled. Last Christmas it came on more noticeable again and I pressed it hard to pop it but I made it worse,- that was the worst I have seen it so far. It decreased again and back out although never as big as the Christmas days. This morning it was impossible to feel it with my tongue, only a bit with my finger but very smooth.Up to date it's very smooth, nearly dissapeared in the early morning and grows a bit at daytime or at least that is what It feels like. I had three different opinions by three different dentists.First, I shouldn't worry and that it looked like an obstructed salivary gland. Second, something about the same but she directed me to see a maxcillofacial surgeon because they are more familiar with such types of conditions and she coudn't tell. The third opinion was the same, he wasn't sure what it was and a surgeon would be a good idea. There I had an Xray and said they couldn't see anything abnormal. My appointment with the surgeon is on Monday and I am scared to death. Two days ago, I happpened to feel another one not too far from the other, but at the other side of the palatal line, a bit more central. This one felt a bit painful though at first and I noticed it because it hurt a bit while eating, not always, though. I had not noticed it before and it feels a bit bigger but not very protuding and again feels a bit smoother early in the morning although it was never very protuding, rather the opposite, as if it was squashed.Actually, It is more difficult to feel than the other one and it doesn't really hurt anymore when I eat, only a bit if I press it and it is a bit annoying when I swallow saliva, but not painful. I have no more symptoms than these. I would like to hear your feedback before hearing the professional diagnosis. English is not my first language, so sorry about any possible misunderstanding. Cheers

Last edited by Ecardithlota; 01-13-2017 05:48 AM.
OP Offline

I forgot to say I have bruxism all day, I grind my teeth.

Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Thank you for your post.

Please do understand that we are all just regular folks whose lives have been impacted by cancer -- either as a patient or as a caregiver. We really don't have any medical training and are not able to provide an opinion on what may be causing you distress (and you won't want us to anyway). Your best course of action is to wait until you have seen the surgeon and if you are not sure about his opinion, look for an ENT who has experience treating oral cancer.

Good luck moving forward.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF! Im sorry you are having some problems with your mouth. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing serious. Please understand our site is made up of oral cancer survivors/patients and their caregivers. We do not have medical backgrounds, years of extensive training, the patients history and many other important things a physician uses to make a diagnosis.

What I can tell you is oral cancer does not come and go, a cancerous tumor does not behave the way you described. Any sore or spot someone has in their mouth for 2 weeks or more should be examined by a professional. That would be an ear nose and throat doctor (ENT). You would want someone who specializes in treating oral cancer and not the type that primarily puts tubes in childrens ears. I would suggest you seek out a qualified ENT for a full exam and if necessary a biopsy. Only thru a biopsy can it be determined exactly what the tissue is. Thats the only way to tell for certain. Medical professionals can offer you their "expert" opinion but its next to impossible to visually determine if something is cancerous. It is impossible for any of our members to provide enough info over the internet for any type of diagnosis. Im very sorry but, we simply are not qualified to guess what could be going on.

Im not sure why you would want to have something surgically removed before you know what it is. Here in the US a first step would be to do a biopsy and find out what hey are dealing with. Surgeons cut and will recommend surgery just like radiation docs say their way is the best. Proceed with caution until you have a diagnosis and at that time a treatment plan can be created.

Best wishes with everything!

PS... From what I understand Xrays are not the preferred manner to detect cancerous lesions. Xrays are used more for bones with a CT scan, PET scan or an MRI more frequently used on soft tissue. But again, this could be different in countries other than the US.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thank you both for youreplies. Mine definitely shrinks, esoecially it is hard to feel in the morning. I got the second one two days ago or at least that's when I noticed it. It's Similar, but bigger. I have noticed it came at the same time of a throat viral infection and a tone of phlems. I will be watching it. The xray was done by the dentist as a protocol to look for a teeth problem involved, I suppose? I dont want it removed at all, I just want a diagnosis by a professional about that area, a maxillofacial doctor/surgeon. Was it the word surgeon that led you to the belief that I wanted it removed? I am from Spain, by the way. I am very grateful for your replies. I will update asap.

Last edited by Ecardithlota; 01-13-2017 11:38 AM. Reason: correction
OP Offline

Hi, a little update here. Definitely, the feeling of the swellings in the morning when I wake up with my tongue is not as clear as later through the day, (as if they were less swollen), even the largest one (I have felt like 3 at least) and it is a bit more protuding during the day.I have not been able to spot them clearly in a mirror as they are not easy to spot at sight and the dentists kept asking me to point to them. I am not sure about the coloring either. Well, but I found something new, very little bubbles in the inner lip of both lips,between the gums and the lips. They fluctuate if I touch them and look like jelly and dont hurt, I would think they are like mucoceles? I also have a bruxism problem and I have like a horizontal line in the inner cheek that I think it is from swallowing and the tension. I will try to attach pictures of this later. Two days before I see the maxillofacial surgeon, I cant wait, honestly...

Last edited by Ecardithlota; 01-14-2017 07:36 AM.

Do not attach photos. It will not help us to help you. Remember, we are survivors/patients and caregivers. We do not have medical backgrounds and are not qualified with years of medical training and clinical practice to give a diagnosis.

What you have written does not sound like its how oral cancer presents itself. As I mentioned in my previous post, an ENT should be the best resource for you to get a biopsy and diagnosis. It would be a good idea to find out what you are dealing with before having it removed. It may not be anything serious??? You may not have to go thru surgery to get treated???

Good luck!

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thanks for the answer. I didnt even take the pictures because they wouldnt show much. I am pretty sure its something related to a problem of minor salivary glands bursting because today I felt how half of my palate felt like a water bed or the sea, bumps coming and going, shrinking, coming back, making different shapes and I could even feel how they went empty and full again. When they were very full, the edema felt very tight and then it would release. Really crazy whats going on in my mouth! I hope the doctor Will know how to "Fix" this. I will update on Monday with whatever I am diagnosed

Last edited by Ecardithlota; 01-14-2017 05:57 PM.

Sounds to me like this is NOT cancer. Oral cancer tumors do not change constantly or come and go, they stay in one spot and grow. Do not pop the sores. Hopefully its nothing worse than a couple water blisters, mucocule or benign cysts.

Good luck!!!

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV