Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I, too, am an RN. It carries a unique burden in these situations. You can picture all the horrible problems in one instance, like viewing a movie.

Here is what helped me - know that the time prior to a treatment plan being instituted is often the most anxiety producing. The PA in my PCP's office said this to me and I did not believe him, but he was right. He prescribed anti-anxiety meds for me and I only needed it for a short period of time. It allowed me to stop the "movie" from running constantly and get some rest. Once tx starts you are very busy.

Next, I gave myself a week to panic and read all the bad side effects and outcomes on this site and elsewhere. I prepared for the worst, while hoping for the best. To help my husband, which I knew I could do very well with my training, I had to calm down.

I spent a great deal of time thinking I could anticipate problems. I learned it was best to rely on rad/oncology team for guidance because the situation often changed and I had to address side effects in order of importance instead of ahead of time.

As Tammy did, I handled most of the medical information and advocacy. This was a relief to my husband, freeing him to concentrate on coping with side effects. We also divided this up in a team approach, which I believe was helpful.

Remember that as nurses we are familiar with worst case scenarios. We don't often deal with patients who have had good outcomes and are enjoying life after cancer. My husband has frankly told me that he is glad he fought the battle. Life has been worth the struggle we went through.

Stay in touch with us and ask questions. This a safe place to vent and express positive and negative feelings.

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome MrsW!

I had a similar diagnosis as your husband, left tonsil, two involved lymph nodes, mine was stage 4a. The good part is it's HPV related, which usually responds better to treatment, and is the biggest positive prognostic factor we have. In fact, many stage lV related HPV Oropharyngeal cancers like tonsil. base of tongue, will soon be stage l or ll with the new staging system for this type of HPV disease.

There are dintensification treatments in clinical trials, and looking foward to seeing what treatment changes there will be with the new staging system, some which may already be in practice. I'll only ask if your husband has a history of smoking?

The only thing I can add, at this time, is your CCC usually have social workers that can help, and even direct to counselors to help deal with the cancer diagnosis. There are also many programs, literature, to assist caretakers, such as yourself. If you need any resources, I have some.

If you have any questions, please ask here, besides the medical team.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

MrsW Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

thank you Paul
your encouraging words, support and helpful thoughts are so appreciated.
we had a CSW stop in at our last visit with the surgeon..
she actually had the worst patient approach and not only came across odd to me and my husband but truly did not impress me.
I work with CSWs all the time and they are nothing like this. We will seek resources for certain, but will likely look to find this with someone a bit more cancer patient etiquette. You did remind me to put this on my list of things to ask and do.

thank you

MrsW
Wife, RN and CG to husband 55 yo diagnosed with tonsillar /lymph nodes SCC HPV+ 11/9/16- PEG and Power Port 12/9/16. Treatment started 12/27 Cisplatin x7 and RAD x35 on 12/28/16. Trismus had gotten worse!
MrsW Offline OP
OP Offline

Travleottie

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh..gosh.... thank you thank you thank you..
thank you ..
it really does help to have the unique perspective understood.
it really is a "movie" and of late it has been only worst case scenario and worst case outcome and worst case anticipations.

maybe that is natural for everyone to go through..
but reading things in forum and in medical journal research ( I worked in research for well over 13 years) just flips a switch for me of no return. I feel I need to educated and prepared to understand and know ...but it seriously takes a toll on my heart and mind.

Maybe some anti anxiety would help for the short term. feeling I could need it

so much stress and worry along with continuing to work full time...ugh.

really really really appreciate your kindness and sharing.
take care

MrsW
Wife, RN and CG to husband 55 yo diagnosed with tonsillar /lymph nodes SCC HPV+ 11/9/16- PEG and Power Port 12/9/16. Treatment started 12/27 Cisplatin x7 and RAD x35 on 12/28/16. Trismus had gotten worse!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics