Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Karina Offline OP
OP Offline

Surgery was completed this past Wed afternoon.
I thought I was at least "somewhat" prepared for the aftermath. This is much harder than I had imagined.
Now that I'm at home and at least a bit organized, I'm hoping to stay reasonably calm and get after the business of healing.
I'm able to take small sips of liquid gently squeezed from a small rubber cath and syringe. At discharge I was cleared to eat a full liquid diet. Hope I can do that soon ..not possible yet.
I'm also having a difficult time with (new & old)meds in pill form. I do have a pill crusher but the amount of gritty powder is frustrating X 10. Especially my size large B.P. tabs. I have a question to ask..
I was to call the clinic yesterday or today in order to
make an Appt...TBD (To Be Determined?) This was for f/0 and suture removal. I had my friend call x2 and I emailed X2 We did not receive a reply yet. Could it hurt the healing of the neck wound if the suture were to remain an extra day or 2? I live several hours from the clinic
Also....one of the Appts I was asked to make is for an Endocrinology.? Clinic. Is that just a normal screening?

Many Thanks for reading..and
Lots of Hugs to us all

10-5-16....Biopsy @ ENT office
10-7-16....Dx SSca Lt Lat Tongue
10-14-16...By examination called T1
2nd biopsy (core) for depth
Pre anesthesia testing done
Surgery date Nov.2
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Be very careful when crushing pills!!! Ask your doctor or pharmacist if the medications you get are ok to crush. Many medicines come in liquid form which would probably be much easier for you to take. Some medications (usually capsules) are time release medications which should never be crushed.

As long as the sutures are not infected, a couple extra days shouldnt make a difference. Just make sure the wound is kept dry and isnt red or oozing anything. That would be a sign of an infection.

Im not sure why you were told to seek out an Endocrinology doctor. I was not told to get one??? I dont think many of our members have been sent there either. But remember, every person is different as is ever case. Maybe its something about your medical history? I suggest next time you see the physician who told you to go there, ask them why.

Best wishes with your continued recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Karina -

Congratulations on getting through the surgery. (First couple of weeks are the hardest.)

I would ask your pharmacist about which pills can be crushed. Once you determine what can and cannot be crushed or substituted with liquid versions, I would recommend soaking the crushable medicine for 10 to 15 minutes before attempting to swallow.

I see an endocrinologist because of long term damage to my thyroid from radiation treatments to my neck, (1997). Not certain as to why you were directed to see them now unless its to establish a baseline of thyroid function. (The best option is to ask the endocrinologist when you visit.)

Christine provided some good information on the sutures and pills as well.

Good Luck

1997 SCC Tumor on tongue - Partial Gloss
1997 Met to Lymph
Radical Neck Dissection / 2nd Partial Gloss
6 weeks chemo and radiation
Brachytherapy
2011 Stroke
2014 Recurrence SCC at Base of Tongue / Hemi-gloss
Free Flap reconstr from thigh
PEG Tube
Radiation
Permanent Issues with speech and swallowing
2018 - Bleeding throat / mouth
2019 - Bleeding throat / mouth
2019 - 3rd diag Cancer SCC Base of mouth / jawbone
2019 - Aug remove portion of jaw / right pec det / free flap closure and tongue

Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Karina,

Can you swallow applesauce? Put your crushed meds in applesauce and they will go down really well. It's better than putting them in water, that's yucky. If you like, you can make your own applesauce. I did that for months for my husband.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.

Congratulations on completing your surgery!

I had many stitches taken out long after 5-7 days when it was my next follow-up visit after surgery when my ENT said the wound hasn't fully headed yet, as is usually the case with radiated tissue, but see you had none. Although, my recent surgery, with non radiated tissue involvement, I didn't have stitches taken out after 14 days leaving the hospital, 21 days after surgery, as this is what I could schedule. I don't think it's set in stone to have stitches taken out 5-7 days after treatment, and may not be a concern as Christine mentioned, except unusual symptoms. You can always call the clinic.

I had luck with a small electric coffee grinder making the pills into a fine powder that I purchased separate for this.

As far as an Endicronologist, who usually treats hormonal imbalances, I'm not sure either why one was suggested. It could be a deficiency found in the blood like thyroid, which happens often if radiatiobed in the neck, an enlarged thyroid gland, high or low glucose levels or their response to a symptom you mentioned or was found? Could it have been an Oncologist or Radiation Oncologitar instead of an Endicronologist? Funny thing is I didn't know who an Oncologisr was before cancer, and who an ENT was about 2 year of seeing the otolaryngologist, and surgery. My oncologist asked what my ENT said, and told her I haven't seen one lol
Good luck with everything

Last edited by PaulB; 11-09-2016 09:47 AM.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics