Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 20 year old college student that's been experiencing some sinister symptoms lately and would appreciate a second opinion.

A few weeks ago my left molars began to ache and I noticed an inflamed lump behind my last bottom molar that was firm to the touch. This was accompanied by a rising fever, swollen lymph nodes and some jaw pain and ear pain. Because I don't have a dentist where I go to college, I called my dentist back home and she seemed very concerned and urged me to get it checked out by a dentist here. However, I was busy with midterms and recruiting and never got to it; I just went to my school clinic where they gave me antibiotics for what was presumed to be an abscess. I finished the antibiotics and the fever and inflammation receded, leaving just a small, hard, whitish lump that's still here today. I also noticed some soft, movable lumps along the bottom of my mouth along the left side that were slightly sore, but didn't think much of them. Those are also still present.

Around 2 days ago, two weeks after the initial fever and swelling, I began to feel an ache in my right cheek. After feeling around, I realized a tender small lump in my cheek right under my cheek bone that seemed to be causing the problem. The inside of my mouth, near the upper back molar is raised, red and inflamed. It has gotten a lot more painful over the last few days, and it is now accompanied by several white ulcers and a painless white patch. A small white ulcer at the back left of my throat has also popped up as well. On top of all of this, lymph nodes are tender and there is some jaw soreness as well.

I contacted my dentist again and she is extremely concerned and brought up "malignant growths." This of course, made me nervous. I am scheduling a dentist appointment tomorrow and would love a second opinion. Has anyone experienced or heard of symptoms like this that lead to oral cancer? Would highly appreciate any insights you might have. Thanks!

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF!

What you are experiencing could be many things beside cancer. There are all kinds of noncancerous "growths" that it could be. Oral cancer (OC) often does not cause a fever, pain or appear so quickly, so hopefully whatever you have going on is not anything serious. To me (a non-medical professional) the fever and swelling are signs of an infection.

I suggest instead of seeing a dentist, find an ENT who treats oral cancer patients. Most dentists usually focus solely on the teeth, ignoring any other areas. Mouth sores often are not considered a dental problem, they're medical. Only with a biopsy will the ENT know for certain exactly what is going on. They may have a good idea but its really just an educated guess if a biopsy isnt done. Dentists do not usually perform biopsies, usually only an ENT or oral surgeon will do biopsies. This could be a 3 office visit thing as the first one is an exam and checking your insurance coverage. The second visit is the procedure which could be done several ways. At the third (a week later) appointment, its for the diagnosis.

If you normally are used to using a strong mouthwash like listerine quit using it until you get examined. If you use in tobacco (any form, even e-cigs) stop immediately, same goes with drinking. You want to try giving your mouth time to heal without any irritants getting in the way.

Hang in there and keep us posted. Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

ccancandi,

Christine has provided an excellent set of recommendations and you should follow through on all of them. She is also probably correct with her thoughts on infection. So try not to worry to much.

Also ask your dentist about recommending ENT's as a potential follow-up now so you can schedule an appointment as soon as possible after your dental visit. (If your dentist feels a follow-up is warranted.) You can always cancel your ENT appointment if its not needed.

Hopefully, this is something that can / will be cleared up quickly. However, if it does turn out to be OC, you've found the best place for advice / support / and information.

To answer your questions on symptoms -

Excessive night sweats - waking up listless and soaked with sweat. Drenched pillow / tee shirt / sheet

Loss of appetite / weight loss at exceptionally high rate

Feeling physically and mentally drained

Sore / Stiff neck and jaw that did not loosen up through the day.

Bleeding from tongue

I'm sure that there are variations of symptoms for different people.

Can I give you some advice? Start at the beginning. Visit your dentist. Follow-up with ENT's. Take this one step at a time. Be smart about your choices. Ask questions. Get second opinions.

Good Luck

1997 SCC Tumor on tongue - Partial Gloss
1997 Met to Lymph
Radical Neck Dissection / 2nd Partial Gloss
6 weeks chemo and radiation
Brachytherapy
2011 Stroke
2014 Recurrence SCC at Base of Tongue / Hemi-gloss
Free Flap reconstr from thigh
PEG Tube
Radiation
Permanent Issues with speech and swallowing