Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#193047 09-19-2016 04:34 PM
Suzie W Offline OP
OP Offline

I just got the results of my biopsy, after fighting for two month, with several dentists, including an oral surgeon, to get one. Results, Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the gum, with highly differentiated cells. I have an appointment on Friday with oral surgeon. Hoping to get a CAT Scan before I go. I'm taking my cousin, a nurse with me to the appointment. What can I expect? My whole mouth feels like it's on fire, Periodontist, who did the biopsy thinks it may be from stress.

Suzie
SCC of gingiva interproxmal and facial to the mandibular left molars
Suzie W #193048 09-19-2016 08:12 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF, Suzie! Im very sorry you have a need for our site! We will help you get thru everything with info and support.

Im very glad you are taking along someone to your appointments. You are very lucky to have a nurse in your family!

I suggest reading both here and on the main OCF site to learn about your illness. An informed patient makes a stronger advocate! Ive included a couple links from the main OCF pages to help you better understand diagnosis and treatments.

If at all possible, try to get at the very least a second opinion at a comprehensive cancer center (CCC). These facilities are our countries top cancer treatment centers where they use a team based approach to developing your treatment plan. Just remember, surgeons cut and will recommend surgery. Once its gone it cant ever be put back to be the same. Radiation oncologists will say rads is the way to go so when you have all the professionals working together it makes everything so much easier.

You may want to start eating all your favorite foods now, desserts too. If you are on the slim side adding a few pounds would be a good idea as any OC treatments usually affect a patients eating.

Best wishes with your upcoming appointments!

OCF main site --- DIAGNOSIS

OCF main site --- TREATMENT

List of CCCs

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
ChristineB #193050 09-19-2016 08:29 PM
Suzie W Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks so much for responding. I was pretty sure that my biopsy was going to come back positive. Just somehow knew it, so I did some research ahead of time, and found a surgeon who is on my insurance and is known for using all the newest techniques. He uses a team approach as well. I looked at the closest well known cancer center, and they take my Medicare Advantage Plan. Apparently none of the big centers even take regular Medicare. Has anyone run into this problem? Since the biopsy, I have lost 8 pounds in 10 days, but that's really not a problem. I could stand to lose 50 more pounds, easily. I'm just not hungry, a first for me. I'm interested in knowing about others with gingival cancer.

Suzie
Suzie W #193051 09-19-2016 08:37 PM
Suzie W Offline OP
OP Offline

I just reread my post, and it should have read that the cancer center does not take my insurance.

Suzie
Suzie W #193055 09-20-2016 06:30 AM
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin

Suzie,

I just would like to welcome you to this circle of friends. Do you have plans for seeing an oncologist? Does your oral surgeon have extensive experience dealing with cancer patients, or will a referral be made? These are a couple of questions I would ask.

It looks like to me you are one who is persistent and can advocate for herself. This is great because it means you can keep on top of things through treatment and that you will get the care you need.

Hang in there, you will be able to get through it.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
gmcraft #193059 09-20-2016 09:27 AM
Suzie W Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks! The doctor I'm seeing specializes surgery and treatment of SCC. I will learn more on Friday, but he does use a team, and I'm thinking that an oncologist will be part of the team. I hope I get most of my questions answered on Friday, but I know that I will probably have even more questions after the appointment.

Suzie
Suzie W #193093 09-26-2016 03:47 PM
Suzie W Offline OP
OP Offline

I have had my CAT Scan on Thursday and saw the surgeon on Friday. My SCC tumor is a T1. I will have surgery next week. If it all goes as planned, I will lose three or four teeth and the bone immediately below them, but hopefully not any more of the jaw. He will rebuild my gum from tissue from my wrist. I will get a titanium rod put in the remaining jaw to strengthen it. Otherwise, he said that it might be easily broken. He will do the neck dissection to hopefully find that I won't need any radiation. I'm very frightened that even a week might make the difference in a T1 and T2 tumor. I have an appointment with a prostodontist, apparently the only one in my entire metropolitan area, on Tuesday. I was wondering about other's experiences with replacement teeth, dentures or implants.

Suzie
Suzie W #193095 09-26-2016 06:35 PM
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Given there is some possibility that you might need radiation, make sure you get a thorough dental check-up and have any cavities dealt with. Find out too if your dentist will fit you with fluoride trays. This is important as tooth extraction and tooth decay are things which can happen post radiation and it is going to be problematic. I hope you get to read this before tomorrow.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
gmcraft #193096 09-26-2016 06:58 PM
Suzie W Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks! I will ask the dentist about that tomorrow. My surgeon wanted me to have the appointment with this dentist, as soon as possible, so they made the appointment for me. Apparently he specializes in oral cancer patients.

Suzie
Suzie W #193114 09-27-2016 10:13 PM
Suzie W Offline OP
OP Offline

I saw the prosthodontist this morning, and I was impressed. He told me so much about the surgery and how it will affect my mouth and teeth. He is part of the team with my oral surgeon. He has given me exercises to do to help with opening my mouth wider after surgery, something he said is often difficult. We won't know what kind of replacement teeth I will be able to use until after surgery, but from this day forward, he will be my primary dentist. He was on the phone with my surgeon while I was there, so they could coordinate my treatment. My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday, October 5. I was supposed to be sitting in a Lionel Richie Concert in Las Vegas that day. Plans change, don't they?

Suzie
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37