Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Suzie W #193136 10-03-2016 10:01 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Suzie,
I have a similar diagnosis as yours, but mine began in the upper jaw. I started this journey 6 years ago with my first surgery removing teeth and gum in the upper right side. It's good you have a prosthodontist already, as I did, because they can have a temporary prosthesis ready to use right after surgery. Your situation is different, being it is the lower jaw and a little more complicated by the movement, but it sounds like you have an experienced team. Like the others who have responded, I am wondering why you have just seen an oral surgeon and not an oncologist? I did not have radiation the first surgery, but when the cancer returned 2 years later, I did. Some people respond well to just surgery, but you will need close monitoring as it can come back without warning. I have had multiple prostheses made following each surgery, and am currently having a new one constructed. Let me know what kind of questions you have and I'm happy to try to answer them. If you have good insurance, you should find that most of it is covered (because it is medical, not dental), but you will probably have to be persistent as they generally deny it at first. I see your surgery is this Wednesday. I will be praying for your quick recovery and will check back here to see if you've written an update. Best wishes!

Teacher Karen
DX: SCC of right maxillary alveolar ridge, 9/2010.
Surgery 11/2010, removal of 4 teeth and gum.
Surgery 11/2012, removal of 3 teeth and gum.
IMRT 1/2013-2/2013
Surgery 1/2015 retromolar trigone resection; removal of 1 tooth and gum.
Surgery 10/2015 left modified radical neck dissection, inferior parotidectomy, external carotid artery resection.
Cetuximab based chemoradiation 64.8 Gy to resection bed.
Surgery 6/19/2018 Right inferior maxillectomy, bilateral low palate resection
Suzie W Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Karen, I'm sitting up right now, not going to go to bed because I will have to leave for the hospital at 3:30 am, and I know I won't get any sleep. Surgery is early. I guess my biggest concern is not knowing what he will find when he starts to remove tissue and bone. Or if he will find any lymph nodes that are positive. It will probably be well into next week before I will post again. Did you have radiation? I think that scares me almost more than the surgery.

Suzie
SCC of gingiva interproxmal and facial to the mandibular left molars
Suzie W #193157 10-05-2016 05:02 PM

HI Suzie,
I've been praying for you today and hope the surgery has gone well. I know you won't see this for awhile, but I'll answer your question. Yes, I've had radiation twice. The first surgery they didn't feel it was necessary as the margins were clear and no sign of involvement in the lymph nodes. Two years later, the cancer had returned and I had to have additional surgery on the alveolar ridge, followed by 6 weeks of radiation. It wasn't fun, but I made it through and returned to work (special education teacher). A lot has happened since then, but the main thing for you is to recover from your surgery and see what the report reveals. I hope you will return here as there are many knowledgeable people who have been through this that have a lot of wisdom. But listen to your doctors and don't be afraid to get a second opinion as it is very important you feel confident that you are getting the best treatment. Best wishes!

Teacher Karen
DX: SCC of right maxillary alveolar ridge, 9/2010.
Surgery 11/2010, removal of 4 teeth and gum.
Surgery 11/2012, removal of 3 teeth and gum.
IMRT 1/2013-2/2013
Surgery 1/2015 retromolar trigone resection; removal of 1 tooth and gum.
Surgery 10/2015 left modified radical neck dissection, inferior parotidectomy, external carotid artery resection.
Cetuximab based chemoradiation 64.8 Gy to resection bed.
Surgery 6/19/2018 Right inferior maxillectomy, bilateral low palate resection
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users