Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#193000 09-08-2016 03:27 PM
OP Offline

Hi everone I am new here have completed treatment. Am ,on feeding tube can,t seem to eat much.it all tastes terrible

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF, Bob! Im sure we will be able to help you with info and support during your recovery. Spend some time reading posts and the main OCF site too. This will help you to pick up all kinds of pointers on how to help with your recovery.

When did you finish rads? Recovery from rads takes a long time! With many patients having significant weight loss, they recovery is even more difficult. Its especially hard to eat with mouth sores, difficulty in swallowing and having food tasting like cardboard. In time this will slowly change. Dont be surprised to see something you love taste completely different than you remember. One day something can taste somewhat ok but the next day its back to tasting horrible again. Ask your doc for a prescription for swish and spit magic mouthwash to help numb your mouth to make it easier to try eating.

The best thing you can do to help speed your recovery is to take in at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water... every single day! This needs to continue for at least the first year post rads. If you can push yourself to take in more then that will only help make your recovery easier. Adding high protein whey powder helps boost your protein which in turn helps with recovery.

Hang in there!!! Every day you get past rads, will be so much closer to being well again. The following list can help you to find things you may be able to eat like canned peaches or cream soups.

List of Easy to Eat Foods

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Having trouble with bad taste in food is not unusual. With me it lasted for awhile and slowly went away. If the doctors said it's okay okay to eat by mouth, then it's best to try. It will help your sustain your ability to swallow.

One thing I never thought of back then is trying a local anesthetic such as sugar free Cepacol lozenges.

I don't have the info handy, but there are guidelines for post treatment. Strange as it may seem, some doctors are not up on this (such as how often to see an ENT). Or what to do about post treatment dental care.

Squamous cell carcinoma base of tongue. Lymph involvement unclear; staging placed at "2 or 3." Biopsy 4/18/2008. Treatment: IMRT every day for 7 weeks. Cisplaten once a week to sensitize cancer to radiation. Treatment ended 7/16/08. PET/CT shows no more cancer.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23